• Herpes Forums

This is a site where you can talk openly and honestly about the herpes virus. Please scroll down for herpes information, herpes support and other helpful resources.

You can read all articles for free but to gain full access to our network you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Post your own topics, ask questions, give advice and communicate privately with other members (PM)
    • Chat with over 50,000 people who are also affected by herpes (from all over the world)
    • Browse over 160,000 posts in more than 30 herpes specific topic forums
    • Search new and old posts, personalize your profile and access many other special features
    • Talk to other members in our live chat room

All this is absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

• Want to join our Herpes Help community?

Create My Account.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ntdc

aspirin for suppression?

11 posts in this topic

Anyone tried aspirin daily for suppression of HSV (either with or without other medications), if so how much

did you try , was it effective?

I take 81mg daily as prescribed by a cardiologist but haven't heard of it as a suppressive medication. I also take acyclovir daily so I wouldn't know if it helps. I'm sure 81mg is too small to really do much good for something like that. I am interested to hear any other experiences or see some research on it!

asprin cant be used as suppressive medication for herpes, and it does nothing for decreasing chances of transmission of the virus to others, vlatrex or acylivor are the best options for suppression

Actually it's not true, its being studied currently in combination with valtrex to determine if it reduces viral shedding, after success in animal trials. http://www.clinicaltrial.gov/ct2/show/NCT00587496

It was first reported by some doctors in 1998 http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/128/8/696-b http://www.herpes.org.uk/aspirin.pdf

Acyclovir does not work well for me as I've posted some times on here. So I am checking into alternate therapies.

I would not recommend forgoing antiviral therapy for aspirin if it is working for someone, obviously.

Spirulina ( green algae) - supposed anti-hsv acitivity and immune stimulating activity. Didn't continue long enough to see if it was working gave me bad stomach upset , may interact with anti-viral meds.

Garlic - no noticeable improvement. Smelled like garlic constantly.

Vitamin C Supplementation - 2,000mg a day no noticeable effect, improved energy level

Zinc supplementation - No noticeable improvement

Lysine - caused bloating , gas , stomach aches, no noticeable improvement but i didnt take it more than 2wks at the most.

Iron supplementation - Probably did not take enough to make a difference but changed to a multivitamin with iron, heard it can be dangerous to supplement with iron for no reason so I did not take any additional supp. No noticeable improvement

I also considered trying Tagamet (cimetadine, a heartburn drug) but I was concerned it can interact with the antiviral drugs. I have read several people claim it stops working after 1 month anyway.

Garlic - no noticeable improvement. Smelled like garlic constantly. In the UK you can get "none smelling" garlic tablets, Holland and Barrett - I'll have a look if they are international

Vitamin C Supplementation - 2,000mg a day no noticeable effect, improved energy level

Zinc supplementation - No noticeable improvement

Lysine - caused bloating , gas , stomach aches, no noticeable improvement but i didnt take it more than 2wks at the most. What did you take? The coating on some tablet, and the "bulk" used can cause stomach problems, did you try different brands?

hbcustsrv@hollandandbarrett.com email address for holland and barrett, they do internet sales, and they sell Odourless Garlic capsules. They may be health food shops near you that sell them.

Iron supplementation - Probably did not take enough to make a difference but changed to a multivitamin with iron, heard it can be dangerous to supplement with iron for no reason so I did not take any additional supp. No noticeable improvement

I also considered trying Tagamet (cimetadine, a heartburn drug) but I was concerned it can interact with the antiviral drugs. I have read several people claim it stops working after 1 month anyway.

Have you considered homopathic treatments?

1. The brand I used was an 'odorless' brand, i cant imagine how bad a regular brand would smell. My breath REEKED of garlic pretty much constantly.

2. Lysine brand is "Nature's Bounty" , other ingredients are cellulose, croscarmellose, cellulose coating, silica, titanium, dioxide color, vegetable magnesium stearate. Didn't think it would make much of a difference from brand to brand. the pharmacy sells this and generic both seems to contain the same thing AFAIK.

3. No. I believe everyone should be entitled to pursue whichever treatment they believe works for them. For me I do not believe there is any credible evidence of the efficacy of homeopathy beyond that of placebo and the principles and practices contradict basic principles of medicine and biology.

Oh I've also been using a device from germany called a "herpotherm" I haven't been using it long enough to make a judgement, yet.

The prescriptions did not seem to work on me either. The doctor tried both Valtrex 500, Valtrex 1 G and Famvir. My body seemed to get used to Valtrex over the years so now I do not take them daily - only when I need them.

Also did not get any obvious results from all the vitamins.

I've had the best luck with being Alkaline (lemon water) and daily TOPICAL Zinc. For your eye - maybe zinc eye drops.

Tegament is used as a "bump upper" for any 'script. Drug addicts figured out that their high would last longer if they shut off acid production in the stomach. The interaction is right on the label. I've used the combo only when I REALLY need it not day to day along with my Valtrex.