• Herpes Forums

This is a site where you can talk openly and honestly about the herpes virus. Please scroll down for herpes information, herpes support and other helpful resources.

You can read all articles for free but to gain full access to our network you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Post your own topics, ask questions, give advice and communicate privately with other members (PM)
    • Chat with over 50,000 people who are also affected by herpes (from all over the world)
    • Browse over 160,000 posts in more than 30 herpes specific topic forums
    • Search new and old posts, personalize your profile and access many other special features
    • Talk to other members in our live chat room

All this is absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

• Want to join our Herpes Help community?

Create My Account.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maria93

So... um why does my dentist need to know I have GENITAL herpes?

3 posts in this topic

Ok, for starters I have both oral and genital. The page I had to fill out asked if I had any of the health conditions. I checked yes for fever blister/cold sore because they are going to be in my mouth and I felt it was right for them to know. However, I did not check the box labeled genital herpes. It's a very small family dentist office and I don't want them talking bad about me. My main concern is why on God's green earth do they need to know about my genitals unless they were planning to rape me or something? :confused:

Ok, for starters I have both oral and genital. The page I had to fill out asked if I had any of the health conditions. I checked yes for fever blister/cold sore because they are going to be in my mouth and I felt it was right for them to know. However, I did not check the box labeled genital herpes. It's a very small family dentist office and I don't want them talking bad about me. My main concern is why on God's green earth do they need to know about my genitals unless they were planning to rape me or something? :confused:

I've recently been to my dentist and never recall ever being asked any questions about hsv. My dentist wears rubber gloves before I am ever touched. Why care? You checked the box NO for genital herpes, just leave it at that.

As far as not wanting anyone to know about your status and thinking they will all talk bad about you...can't help you there. I just know how I deal with that. I don't give 2 lousy shits who knows. It's quite liberating when you don't care what anyone thinks of you.

Having herpes doesn't make ME dirty or disgusting and I'm not the least bit ashamed, nor do I live with any shame for having it.

My dentist's office asks the same thing and I thought it was weird also. Vagina dentata, maybe? I marked yes to genital herpes as a way to get myself over my self-inflicted shame but it does seem like an odd thing to ask. Maybe it's just a standard form that all medical offices use?