• Herpes Forums

This is a site where you can talk openly and honestly about the herpes virus. Please scroll down for herpes information, herpes support and other helpful resources.

You can read all articles for free but to gain full access to our network you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Post your own topics, ask questions, give advice and communicate privately with other members (PM)
    • Chat with over 50,000 people who are also affected by herpes (from all over the world)
    • Browse over 160,000 posts in more than 30 herpes specific topic forums
    • Search new and old posts, personalize your profile and access many other special features
    • Talk to other members in our live chat room

All this is absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

• Want to join our Herpes Help community?

Create My Account.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trying2bePositive

Am i Supposed to have outbreaks?

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently got tested and unfortunately i am HSV-1 positive, HSV-2 negative, the test was on Jan 08 2013. I dont know where my 'infection' is located at.

i've done some research and found out that there are no test to pinpoint when the infection was transmitted. but i'm still curious.

"IF" i recently have gotten infected, am i supposed to have an outbreak? I've had some tingling feeling in my groin area, but not the genitals itself (HOWEVER, it may just be because i'm now overly self aware of everything that happens to my body).

if i am supposed to have an outbreak during the initial transmission, and no outbreak occurred... does that mean i've had HSV-1 a long time ago?

ThankS!

Hi,

I recently got tested and unfortunately i am HSV-1 positive, HSV-2 negative, the test was on Jan 08 2013. I dont know where my 'infection' is located at.

i've done some research and found out that there are no test to pinpoint when the infection was transmitted. but i'm still curious.

"IF" i recently have gotten infected, am i supposed to have an outbreak? I've had some tingling feeling in my groin area, but not the genitals itself (HOWEVER, it may just be because i'm now overly self aware of everything that happens to my body).

if i am supposed to have an outbreak during the initial transmission, and no outbreak occurred... does that mean i've had HSV-1 a long time ago?

ThankS!

Also, i've never remembered any outbreak before.

If you tested positive for HSV-1 and have never had an outbreak in either location I would make the assumption that it is oral because it usually is. I think it would be erring way too far on the side of caution to think it is genital without any evidence to support it. 80% of the population is HSV-1 positive, and most of it is still oral, although the incidences of genital are increasing.

Some doctors say that the risk of transmission of genital HSV-1 is so slim that one does not even need to disclose. I am not so sure about not disclosing if you know for sure you have it. But you don't know you have it genitally.

There is a very good chance that you have HSV-1 orally, commonly known as cold sores, and you appear to be totally asymptomatic.

If you want to tell people that you have HSV-1 before you kiss them you can, but a lot of people don't, and I am not so sure it is necessary.

Hey,

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you are trying to find out more about hsv- this has been a great source of support & information for me.

By the sounds of things u have oral hsv1 aka coldsores. In the absence of any genital symptoms I think this is the more likely of the 2 scenarios.

Tc xx

Most people contract hsv1 when they are kids. Some people breakout with cold sores others do not. 80% of the adult population has it. It's extremely common.

If you tested positive for HSV-1 and have never had an outbreak in either location I would make the assumption that it is oral because it usually is. I think it would be erring way too far on the side of caution to think it is genital without any evidence to support it. 80% of the population is HSV-1 positive, and most of it is still oral, although the incidences of genital are increasing.

Some doctors say that the risk of transmission of genital HSV-1 is so slim that one does not even need to disclose. I am not so sure about not disclosing if you know for sure you have it. But you don't know you have it genitally.

There is a very good chance that you have HSV-1 orally, commonly known as cold sores, and you appear to be totally asymptomatic.

If you want to tell people that you have HSV-1 before you kiss them you can, but a lot of people don't, and I am not so sure it is necessary.

What evidence would it have to be, to be genital HSV-1?

I never had a cold sore, and have HSV-1 genitally. It was transmitted by oral sex, so if you had oral sex and your partner has ever had a cold sore, you probably have HSV-1 genitally.

What evidence would it have to be, to be genital HSV-1?

Sores on your genitals would be pretty good evidence in my opinion.

I never had a cold sore, and have HSV-1 genitally. It was transmitted by oral sex, so if you had oral sex and your partner has ever had a cold sore, you probably have HSV-1 genitally.

how did you know you initially you have HSV-1 genitally? since you've also never had a cold sore.