• Herpes Forums

This is a site where you can talk openly and honestly about the herpes virus. Please scroll down for herpes information, herpes support and other helpful resources.

You can read all articles for free but to gain full access to our network you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Post your own topics, ask questions, give advice and communicate privately with other members (PM)
    • Chat with over 50,000 people who are also affected by herpes (from all over the world)
    • Browse over 160,000 posts in more than 30 herpes specific topic forums
    • Search new and old posts, personalize your profile and access many other special features
    • Talk to other members in our live chat room

All this is absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

• Want to join our Herpes Help community?

Create My Account.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Secretariat

Can Ibuprofin cause outbreaks?

11 posts in this topic

I noticed a few days after taking ibuprofin I would have an out break...anyone else?

It's an anti inflammatory so in theory it shouldn't but perhaps whatever you are taking it for is putting your body under stress and that's why the breakouts occur.

Acesheart and Secretariat like this

I noticed a few days after taking ibuprofin I would have an out break...anyone else?

I totally agree with G, it is used as an noninflammatory drug and is given in the states (where I live) more than the old widely used Tylenol.

It's an anti inflammatory so in theory it shouldn't but perhaps whatever you are taking it for is putting your body under stress and that's why the breakouts occur.

Yes, thanks for that answer.. it makes sense.

I have pbs (painful bladder syndrome), sacroilliac joint pain, somatic pain, depression and anxiety. I actually get confused as to which pain i am having....). Which could all attribute to ob's.

Maybe I should take ibuprofin everyday to keep the inflammation permanently down and possibly avoid obs.

??

Yes, thanks for that answer.. it makes sense.

I have pbs (painful bladder syndrome), sacroilliac joint pain, somatic pain, depression and anxiety. I actually get confused as to which pain i am having....). Which could all attribute to ob's.

Maybe I should take ibuprofin everyday to keep the inflammation permanently down and possibly avoid obs.

??

The joint pain and the sacroiliac pain I am familiar with , the ibuprofen should help those. The depression and anxiety will not be affected by the ibuprofen as far as I know. :)

Aces, did you ever have bladder spasms before, during, after or at all because of h?

I had bladder surgery when the doctors cut open my bladder during hysterectomy. They did laparoscopy and had no idea my bladder had adhered itself to the abdominal wall. When he cut my bladder was there, after that I had troubles. Two surgeries took then almost four hours to fix this. Now I have no issues, but 10 yrs ago it was horrible. :(

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it may be possible for ibuprofen to cause an outbreak. while it is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory..... there are other things that it affects. just because it reduces inflammation doesn't mean it can't trigger a virus to appear by weakening the immune system. this is an article about the flu shot and NSAIDS but it's relevant i think - http://www.prohealth.com/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14985&B1=EG111109

Secretariat likes this

Thanks...interesting article...says they need more studies done on this..

I wonder if there is any pain reliever that doesn't weaken the immune system? What's a person to do if they need pain relief...just get rid of one pain and expect the ob? (if u can't take antivirals)

i think all over the counter pain relievers are NSAIDS and would have generally the same effect on the immune system. it's not a BIG effect so most people never notice anything. however, if you notice a correlation between taking a pain reliever and then getting an ob then i'd think it's very reasonable to think ibuprofen is a culprit. white willow bark is a natural pain reliever but it's never been very effective for me. works great for some people though.

Secretariat likes this

Secretariat. Ibuprofen absolutely CAN contribute in my opinion. I had CONSTANT outbreaks even with taking acyclovir twice a day. Valtrex never worked at all. I was taking 800 mg ibuprofen twice a day for another issue and one day I just stopped. Guess what? The outbreaks did too. Haven't had one in months. If you look, there are some articles on line that suggest ibuprofen reduces immunity.

http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?p=405142