World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
late bloomers

wondering what happened

Advertisement
0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD? Get tested privately here.

late bloomers

as i stated in my first post j has cancer, and has had about 4 or 5 transfusions, and the way her blood count was last wed she'll need another 2 this next wed. the bone cancer seems to eat up her blood. not trying to place blame, but just curious if she could have got her herpes from the blood transfusions. since she has hsv 2 and i have hsv 1 does that mean i got it from her. i love her no matter what, but am curious. thanks, d&j

helied2me

Hi d,

It's hard to understand how this virus operates when someone first gets a diagnosis and all the possibilities of contraction can really make your head spin.

Chances are she has had this for quite some time and you also for that matter but HSV is not contracted through blood transfusions. The virus does not live in the blood but in the nervous system where it takes up residence in the ganglion at either the top of or base of the spine. From there it infects nerve cells and takes nerve pathways to the surface where the sores occur as a result of the antibodies fighting the active virus. The virus can, however remain dormant in your system for very long periods of time and not present any symptoms at all or present symptoms that you wouldn't even recognize as being herpes.

Because you have type 1 and she has type 2, you did not get this from her and she didn't get it from you. If you are negative for type 2 and she is negative for type 1 you have both been very fortunate to have not contracted each others type from each other.

Please feel free to ask whatever is on your mind and we'll try to answer your questions.

I hope that j is doing Ok, my thoughts will be with her through this.

late bloomers

thanks again

i guess we'll never know, and will eventually both end up with hsv 1 & 2. the dr said that would probably happen over time. my mom before she passed away in 04 had a terrible case of shingles she had had for 3 yrs. she prayed daily to die as they were so bad. she didn't catch them in time and it damaged her nervous system. did everthing to try and help, but nothing seemed to help. guess that could eventually happen to us also. oh well at least we've enjoyed the 60 plus yrs that we've lived, although we've only been married for 5 and had a previous love affair back in 95. at least we have each other. i guess shit happens. thanks again, d&j

late bloomers

another question on wondering what happened

i belong to another site and the herpes issue came up. i made a post to it where i stated that the dr told me to keep my mouth shut about telling all my friends about having herpes. i had suggested to him that i thought i should tell them to give them a choice as to whether they wished to remain friends with us, or not. he said they do not have to know unless i was sleeping with them. my question is did u tell all u'r family and friends about having herpes. if so how was the reaction, and how many friends did u loose when u told them. thanks, again d&j

Shayna

Hi D and J,

I've told a number of my close friends and have never experienced a negative reaction. I don't feel like they give it a thought. When we're together, we share bites at restaurants, etc , all the same things we used to do.

The only reaction I'd say they had was one of support if I needed them.

I think it's a personal choice, only the two of you know your relationships with your family and friends. Do what feels right for you.

Also, I wanted to tell you I've been sending you both good thoughts since reading your first post.

Take care

late bloomers

thanks

shayna, thanks for the good thoughts. they r much appreciated. d&j

Claudia

Hi there. I've talked with select friends and family about herpes. Everyone has been supportive, and once I started discussion on the topic, I was amazed to learn how many had their own infections (genital and/or oral).

Claudia

Shayna

You're welcome...

Say, Claudia made a good point there, if you do decide to bring up the subject, it's likely a few will come out of the closet to you.

It's such a strange virus in that it's a big deal, that's not that big a deal, that can be made into a really big deal. :rolleyes:

late bloomers

thanks for the great advise. not going to tell all, but maybe a select few. best wishes to u all. hugs and blessings d&j