World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
HSVinme

help with test results!

Advertisement
0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD? Get tested privately here.

HSVinme

Hi all, i recently tested pos for GHSV 1 by swab, and my husband wanted to get a blood test, his results were negative, this is what it says

Herpes simple virus by rapid PCR : negative

HSV types 1 and 2 Ab,

HSV type 1 Ab, IgG : negative

HSV type 2 Ab IgG : negative

HSV Ab , IgM by EIA : negative

Ok how accurate is this test, i have read to have the type specific IgG test, is that what this is? I am so confused. I don't understand if i have it how could he not have gotten it from me, we have had oral sex ALOT, not since having an ob or since being diagnosed however, but we did before. This is my first ob, so if this test is accurate i didn't get it from him, correct? I have been married for 4 years and been with him for 6, so could it have been from an old boyfriend? Thanks for any help at all.:confused:

helied2me

Hi HSVinme,

It looks as though he had the right tests performed as it indicates it is IgG types 1 and 2 which is the one you want to go by.

A PCR test is only reliable if there is any virus present and the IgM you can throw out because it is worthless for adults.

So if you have GHSV-1 then I assume you had this before your husband entered the picture as he is obviously negative. The only other possibility is that he just contracted it either orally or genitally and passed it to you but that he hadn't developed antibodies yet. This does not mean that he cheated because he could have possibly gotten it orally from an innocent kiss so don't assume the worst.

If you have had this for a long while it's possible that you didn't recognize your first outbreak or you are just now having one. Type 1 doesn't generally cause many outbreaks when it's in the genital area.

Sorry about your confusion and I hope your husband is understanding.

VVK

I'm a little bit confused as to why the PCR test is quoting IgG values. The PCR test is type-specific, yes, but it isn't the same as the IgG blood tests, is it?

chay5

The IgG test doesn't just say positive/negative - it actually gives some numbers as results - do you know those numbers?

HSVinme

Hi Helied2me, you said quote :"So if you have GHSV-1 then I assume you had this before your husband entered the picture as he is obviously negative. The only other possibility is that he just contracted it either orally or genitally and passed it to you but that he hadn't developed antibodies yet. This does not mean that he cheated because he could have possibly gotten it orally from an innocent kiss so don't assume the worst."

Isn't it possible to that he did get it from me recently and hasn't developed the antibodies yet? And that i have had it for a while and he has been lucky and i haven't had much shedding before this OB so he didn't get exposed prior to this OB? Maybe he should be retested in a few months? What do you think?

VVk you asked quote: "I'm a little bit confused as to why the PCR test is quoting IgG values. The PCR test is type-specific, yes, but it isn't the same as the IgG blood tests, is it?"

I think the PCR test is not IgG, they did both tests. PCR looks for the DNA of the HSvirus. Hope that makes sense.

Chay5, you said quote: "The IgG test doesn't just say positive/negative - it actually gives some numbers as results - do you know those numbers?"

There were no numbers on the result at all, i don't know why. Maybe this lab doesn't do them i don't know, what do you think? Thanks

chay5

I have not heard about IgG Herpes Type Specific test that does not give numbers. Usually there will be one number for HSV1 and another for HSV2. Have you seen the actual result sheet from the lab?

helied2me

Hi HSVinme,

Yes, that is a possibility, as marriedwchildren can attest to, she got it from her husband after 24 years, so he could get tested in the future just to be sure but it could be he just hasn't contracted it yet and maybe he never will. I'm sure if you read enough posts here that you will see that not everybody has an initial outbreak 2-20 days after exposure, some go years without symptoms. So you could have transmitted it to him and him back to you genitally, if you ever had cold sores. It's rare but it can happen.

Actually chay, some labs don't even report the EIA values just to make it simple, some may only include them if it's positive. Also, most labs have a cut-off value and that's as high as they report even if the values are actually higher. A 6.0 is just as positive as a 5.0.

The PCR test is type specific but whether it's a blood sample or a swab test, it will only detect it if the virus is active at the time, there are no values to the PCR test. They even have a pap test, called a silver pap, that includes testing for gonorrhea and clamydia, with a PCR test built in but the same thing applies, if there is no active virus, it won't detect it.

HSVinme

Hello helied2me,

you said quote: "Yes, that is a possibility, as marriedwchildren can attest to, she got it from her husband after 24 years, so he could get tested in the future just to be sure but it could be he just hasn't contracted it yet and maybe he never will. I'm sure if you read enough posts here that you will see that not everybody has an initial outbreak 2-20 days after exposure, some go years without symptoms. So you could have transmitted it to him and him back to you genitally, if you ever had cold sores. It's rare but it can happen."

I've never had cold sores so it probably was not passed from me orally to him then to me genitally. By the way is that possible, that it could start orally and end up genitally and vice versa? So say my husband gave me oral sex and i've had a genital ob, i should definatly not kiss him afterwards cause i could get it orally as well? Also you said that some people go years without symptoms, that must apply to me because i've only been with my husband since 2002, so who knows for sure how long i've had it right? Does that makes sennse to you? Sorry i feel like i'm a child learning algebra or something, this is not easy to keep straight in my mind for some reason

Also another question about test results, i know you said to have the type specific hsv Igg, what would the wrong test be testing? Just curious as to what type to stay away from, i know Igm is not a good test, but are there other ones, thanks for all your help!:D

helied2me

Whether you choose to kiss him after oral sex is up to you, you are provided some protection but yes, it can be passed from you genitally to him orally or genitally and back to you orally as it has happened that way with another member lucie? something.

Yes it makes total sense that you could have had it for years and not have known it, many here have had that same experience. Don't apologize, trying to figure this thing out IS like trying to learn algebra, I couldn't grasp it no matter how hard I tried!

The only appropriate, reliable test is the IgG Type Specific Antibody test for HSV-1 AND/or HSV-2. There is an IgG HSV 1/2 combination test that you DON'T want because it won't tell you which type and there is the IgM test that is absolutely worthless for adults.

Hope that answers your questions sweetie.

helied2me

Sorry HSV,

I should have included this to answer the question 'what would the wrong test be testing'.

The IgG HSV 1/2 combination test will only detect HSV types 1 or 2 but won't distinguish between the two of them and people have been given a diagnosis of having both by ill informed doctors.

The IgM test on the other hand can be detecting antibodies to many viruses at the same time which aren't necessarily herpes simplex antibodies. They could be antibodies to chickenpox, shingles or epstein barr.

That is why it is useless for diagnosing herpes simplex in adults because so many other antibodies are detected. That's why it is only useful for newborns born to mothers with HSV because they haven't developed antibodies for anything yet. This test has also given people a diagnosis of genital herpes by ill informed doctors when in actuality, they didn't have GH at all and I am aware of one person who thought they had it for 3 years before finding out otherwise. So how many others think they have it based on an IgM, because doctors routinely use this test. It's really sad that we put our trust in a profession that often has very little knowledge of HSV and the proper tests.

HSVinme

Thank you helied2me! you have been such a huge help to me, i can;t thank you enough!:-P