World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
vp88

confused with test results!!

vp88

my test results said that i was tested positive for HSV-2 and the number was 1.25...i'm trying to figure out who i caught it from does that number mean i was exposed to it recently?? because i either got it from someone i slept with almost a year ago...or someone i slept with a little over a month ago!

helied2me

Hi vp,

These numbers are a low positive and indicate a new infection, if I'm not mistaken, a year old infection might come in as 3.50 or higher.

Mr. Smith, could you give your opinion here?

vp88

could that possibly mean i got the infection a little over a month ago? i'm also confused because i read up online that until 3.5 there is a possibility of a false positive especially if you were tested positive for hsv-1 which i have...i haven't had an outbreak (yet) or any symptoms at all not even a cold sore...should i go ahead with further testing?

helied2me

Yes, that is what is stated elsewhere in particular if you have a type 1 infection. The type 2 could be a false positive even, though reverting back doesn't happen often, it still happens. By all means retest at a later date.

Oh, and yes to the first question also, the average time course for seroconversion is 25 days but not for everyone.

ruinedbymistake

note

25 days is the median time for seroconversion by Herpeselect for non-primary infections (HSV2 acquisition when already positive for HSV1) quoted in the Wald paper. Note that 25 is not the average though, but the median, and there is a long tail out to the right of the graph.

The low positive isn't proof of recent infection, but it probably means it is most likely. You could test again to see what happens to the number, it might be informative.

Mr_Smith

The rule of thumb I heard for low positives, is the closer you are to negative the better the chance you're truly negative. If you pulled a 3.0 on a first test, the likelyhood you pulling more than 3.5 on the next test is very high. But in the end it's really a crap-shoot and you need to retest.

The HerpeSelect numeric result is just a number, it doesn't correlate to how many ob's you'll get in a year or a level of infection, or likelihood of passing this on to someone else. Meaning a 4.1 is no different than a 5.8, they're both positive. The same idea goes for negative results; additionally, values will never be zero, values below .90 are referred as "background noise" of the testing procedure. A .13 on a first test and .37 on a second test doesn't mean you're on your way to turning positive. And a .37 on a first test and .13 on a second test doesn't mean you're less negative. They are both clearly negative.

Also, if you were to pull a >5 number on a first test. I would tell you this is not a recent infection. But if your first test has a 4.0, you could have had this virus 4 months or 4 years.

Regards

Mr Smith

momager
Hi vp,

These numbers are a low positive and indicate a new infection, if I'm not mistaken, a year old infection might come in as 3.50 or higher.

Mr. Smith, could you give your opinion here?[/QUOte}

So the higher the number, the newer the infection, or vise versa?? If I have 2.5 and my partner has 5. will these numbers tell me who had it first?

helied2me

Hi momager,

Low numbers would indicate a new infection but there is no way to determine how new because everyone seroconverts at a different rate.

new09

Hello Vp88,

I hope that you still check the message boards!!!!

I read your first post. You had an HSV 2 result of 1.25. This is considered a low positive and does not tell you if it is a new infection or old. These are just numeric value. The rule of thumb is that anything below 3.5 should be retested at 3 to 4 months after the last time you had sex.

For instance, my HSV 2 was 1.76. Low positive. Last time I had sex was 11/08, I should be retested in feb or march.

I want say you're negative but you very well could be. You can easily use the Herpeselect test at 3-4 month mark. But since you posted in June, I'm sure it would do. BUT if you want there is a rapid BioKit testing that tests for HSV 2 in less than 20 minute. www.biokitusa.com. Call their number and they will tell you the nearest place that offers it. Also, there is the WesternBlot test it gives no numeric values only neg or pos.

Comebackid

re-test mark

Hey you guys (and gals), where did you find that info about 3.5 or lower for HSV2 being a possible false positive requiring retesting in 3-4 months? Could someone please direct me to the source?

Also, has anyone ever heard of anyone initially testing above the 3.5 threshold, retesting several times and consistently (and significantly) coming in at lower numbers? Would love to get your input Mr. Smith.

Comebackid

Well I guess I simply am missing something. I can't find that info anywhere on those sites. If anyone can point me in the precise right directin I'd really appreicate it. Thanks New09. I appreciate your input.

Sincere25

I tested 2.23 HSV2 two months after having sex with the girl that had HSV, and that was 7 months ago that I got myself tested. Should I go get tested again?

tracyp

hi

wow i just learned something new from u. I tested postive about 3 weeks ago now. My first test when i took it my numbers were type 2 @ 4.10 & for type 1 it was 5. So with that being said ive had it for a few months. Thats what i figured. Ive never really made sense of the numbers before but now i know. And sense i also had a high positive my first test my numbers could either stay the same or go up a lil bit more. Thanks i keep learning more and more info on this. I had no signs or symtems either. I think ive had it for about 3 months or some where in nov of 08.

tracyp

hi

I would retest again. I am going to retest again just to be safe & to make sure i dont have any other std's.

Sincere25

Im sorry I meant to say i tested positive 8 months after having sex with that girl.

ntdc

I cannot find the paper anymore by Dr. Anna Wald which documents the false positives in low ELISA values however its referenced here in the doctor's response

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/HerpeSelect-Test-False-Positive-and-dealing-with-the-gray-area/show/249001

Also, this is why you cannot tell from the results how long you have had the virus

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/jcv/article/PIIS1386653206000837/abstract