World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
tenderheart22

Blood tests? I would really like to here from some Canadians!

tenderheart22

I asked my doctor the other day if he could send me for a blood test to find out if I have HSV 2 (I already know I have HSV 1). But he said there was none, or that blood tests cannot tell. I'm confused because I read about it a lot on here. Is it true that blood tests really cannot tell? Or do we just not have these tests in Canada, or what?

zaherpes

Yes there are bloodtests that can be done, IgG and IgM, but they are only deemed accurate after about 16 weeks after exposure

Caliope

On this list there have been numerous recurrent posts about blood testing for hsv in Canada and for some reason I think that the way the health system works prohibits this type of testing.

Please know that tests do exist that can test for hsv and determine the type.

If it was me, and my health system would not cover it, if it was important to me, I'd request the testing and let them know I'd pay cold hard cash for it.

Eve Kendall

Well, I don't know where you are from, but I recently got a type specific serology test prescribed by my doctor. The test was done and analyzed by Laboratoire Biron in Montreal (they are basically the #1 go-to lab here). It cost 104$. Also, the doctor who prescribed the test is from BC and said the test was done there too.

i just want to know!!

no blood test for me!

The same thing happened to me too! (and yes i am from canada!)

The doctor looked at me and said that she thought it was genital herpes. So she took a culture swab or whatever and I had to wait for that.... she took two. One came back negative and one came back inconclusive. So she said I had to wait until I had another "outbreak" and to come back and get tested. So i asked if there was a blood test I could take and she said no. I some what suprised that she didn't say yes it is out there but we can't do it... or some thing. She just flat out said no.... I would rather take a blood test because it has been about 10 months and i'm still clueless.

Sophie D.

Can you take the test in the US?

I don't know how far either of you live, but can you get to the US easily?

If so, tstd.org has lots of testing sites and the cost is $100 US. They have the correct blood test also, IgG, and they get back to you with results in 3 business days!

J.Graham

I'm from Halifax...

I asked about a blood-test and the doctor told me that it was only done at a few places across the country - the closest spot to me being Montreal.

Sophie D.

Well, that is unfortunate.

The closest US location to get tested is in New Hampshire according to tstd.org. which is at least an hour closer to you.

Googlemaps says it is about an 11.5 hour drive.

Road trip?

determinedtosmile

std testing

Thank you so much for your valuable information. I wasn't aware of that. All the best to you.

I don't know how far either of you live, but can you get to the US easily?

If so, tstd.org has lots of testing sites and the cost is $100 US. They have the correct blood test also, IgG, and they get back to you with results in 3 business days!