World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
01Henry

Some advice needed

01Henry

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm new here. Basically I'd like to ask if there's any way I can tell if I have herpes genitally if I don't have outbreaks.

My facts are that about 2 weeks ago I slept with an ex I'd split up with a few months before. We used a condom but obviously not for oral sex. A few days later I got 3 massive cold sores on my lips. Now I've been getting cold sores as long as I can remember but these were bigger than any I've had before. I also had a raised temp and headache. Then I started to get an itch in my groin area (not exactly on genitals) which, being a man, I couldn't help but prod around at (yes I know I'm not supposed to!).

So then I went to the docs and they sampled the cold sores on my mouth and also swabbed what was on my groin, although the doc said she didn't think it was herpes. So today I got my results and the oral outbreak came back with HSV1 which I was surprised about as I've had that for so long that getting 3 big ones at the same time convinced me it was HSV2. The genital swab came back negative for both so I had them look at my thigh again and again they said it still didn't look like herpes.

So now it looks like I may have just got an oral outbreak of what I already had just a bad one. But I'm worried that I may have it genitally without bad/any symptoms so is there any way I can confirm this?

Thanks

ginnyp

Did you have a sore genitally or just an itch? Herpes can do a lot of different things, cause the area to itch, burn, tingle, get a rash, swell, and no sores have to be present. But if sores are not present, it is much harder to do a swab test with accuracy. Without something letting the virus out, it would be possible to get a false negative.

I guess it would be possible, that if your body is going through a new ob, it would be working harder and this unable to fight off the HSV1 that you've had for so long. If you're fighting something, it might help your oral ob to be bigger. This doesn't mean it's herpes though. Maybe you have something else going on down there that is running you down and allowing you to have an oral ob? There are lots of possibilities. Maybe you should have a full STD screen to rule anything out.

01Henry

Hi Ginny, thanks for the reply. No I had no sores just skin irritation - like jock itch i get sometimes when I run. It's a false negative I'm worried about as I don't want to think I'm in the clear and then pass it on. I've always been so careful about my oral hsv1 and so far haven't given it to anyone i know of.

I had the screen for the other usual things and all came back negative, although obvisouly I'll have to wait for the final hiv test. Is there anything else that a full screen might do to show up whether I have anything genitally do you know or will i have to live with some uncertainty?

Thanks again.

helied2me

Hi 01Henry,

Sorry, there is nothing outside of bacterial infectious diseases that can be detected without symptoms. You won't know if you have GH unless you have symptoms, but if you ever test positive for type 2 through a blood test you could assume you have a genital infection. Type 2 orally would be rare if you have a type 1 oral infection.

ginnyp

yes, if you already have type 1 orally, and you test positive for type 2, it is most probably a genital infection, as it's already extremely rare to get type 2 oral, but even more rare when you already have type 1 oral.

Maybe it's just that, jock itch. But if you are concerned about passing something on, you should get the blood test after 3 months. My ex, whom I'm sure gave this to me, use to complain of jock itch. I was with him 4.5 years. I do not have casual sex with anyone, so was basically with him the whole time, and someone for 7 years before that. Well my ex never had "sores" or any visual symptoms, but he would scratch and I asked him why, and he would always say he was chafed from masturbation (God knows he had to do a lot of that dating me!) or a couple times he mentioned jock itch. He never hid his body from me though, I truly do not think he knew he had herpes. But when thinking back, I do believe he had minor symptoms that we overlooked.

ginnyp

I remember him complaining about jock itch. That is often confused with herpes. I also remember him being "chafed." A couple times he had a very small dull or shiny patch, flat, no bumps, just different, and he said it was chafed either from swim shorts, or masturbation, and thing is, I believe that he really thought this.

I basically overlooked them because I thought herpes was always lots of pus-filled sores, didn't think it could be something else. Of course, later, when reading that it can confused with jock itch, I remember this. And after finding out I had this not from my current bf but previously, I think he must have been the culprit. He also gave me chlamydia which luckily gave me symptoms right away so we caught it quickly.

Sometimes I think about how promiscuous he was before we were together, and I think about how he really didn't think he could have anything, but then he did. And when I got the chlamydia he said he knew exactly where he got it. How is that possible? There's enough stuff besides the STDs that also make me scream sometimes, you are such a jackass! You have ruined me! He put me through a lot - not just herpes - and I can't stand him. I do not blame him for herpes because I dislike him, but rather it makes sense. Before him I was with someone for 7 years. Then this guy, and he was so stupid about his previous sexual encounters. (IMO). I just wish I had been smarter. I know things now that would have made me run, I should have known we were no match. But I fell and this is where I am. I am doing so much better now though, I hope I can keep it up.