World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ginnyp

Doctors Who Suck

Advertisement
0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD? Get tested privately here.

ginnyp

OK, I know this has been stated so many fucking times, but I can't help it. I just read two posts in a row that has stupid doctors giving out wrong information, confusing new herpes patients or frustrating them to hell.

My Gaw! How can a doctor NOT know the difference between type 1 and 2? How can they actually think location makes it type 1 or 2? Where the hell did they go to school, anyway? I am not a doctor, and I knew nothing about herpes, but I DID know that there were two types, and that type 1 oral CAN be spread through oral sex. I've always known that.

I understand patients not knowing the difference, although I still can't completely comprehend how someone who gets coldsores still doesn't know it's herpes, or that it can be spread via oral sex, but a doctor?

And how can someone go to a doctor, tell them they've possibly been exposed to HSV by having sex, and ASK for a blood test, and the doctor orders everything but? Even after telling them you've been exposed! This happened to my bf as well. He said he was with a girl (me) who had HSV2, and the doctor said if he doesn't show symptoms not to worry. Then he explained I didn't KNOW I had it and we had sex, so the doctor then tested him.

I have said this before. When I had other conditions that frikin' doctors could not diagnose. When I was misdiagnosed and suffering, and finally being correctly diagnosed because a doctor took the time to do the correct xrays, tests, etc. I wish I had become a doctor. I have been thinking about going back to school. I would like to specialize in HERPES and put to shame all those doctors out there who know nothing. I would like to run my own tv ads and print ads and get REAL information out there, and have lots of patients come to see me because they know they will get the best help. I would like to start making herpes a disease that everyone wants to know more about, not hide it in a closet because drug companies want people to keep spreading it. I would like to help my patients foremost and welcome them to this club PERSONALLY. Because I think one of the best ways to begin to accept this is to meet or talk to someone else with the same disease/questions.

So, I'm 33. Is it too late for me to do this? I'm tired of my job anyway, but can't really quit because it pays the bills and I've moved since so similar jobs don't pay as well. I had truly thought about being an opthalmologist when I was in school, and I even thought about being a sex therapist because I was the one EVERYBODY turned to when they had sex/relationship questions. And I was very good at talking about it in a mature manner. And now I've been talking about so many different kinds of sex for 7 months that I think hey, why not? I could become a sex educator but I'd hate to see what they WANT me to teach versus what I think should be taught. I'd probably get a ton of complaints because of my straightforwardness.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I would do FIRST if I went back to school and specialized in only herpes? (Just think, I'd own one of those oxygen therapy machines (no I don't know what it's called) and I'd cure myself like most of the athletes seem to do, and help others do the same thing while earning a living. Not a bad idea.

OK, think I've got my venting done for the night, gotta get some sleep I guess. Aaagh!!!!!

bluefrog

ginnyp,

good post. we need more like you out there, education and knowledge is power. You are never too old to do anything that drives you. I can say, that my doctor ROCKS as far as my herpes is concerned. If he did not, I would definitetly have found myself another.

gotitsowhat

Good post, good idea!

. I would like to specialize in HERPES and put to shame all those doctors out there who know nothing. I would like to run my own tv ads and print ads and get REAL information out there, and have lots of patients come to see me because they know they will get the best help. I would like to start making herpes a disease that everyone wants to know more about, not hide it in a closet because drug companies want people to keep spreading it. I would like to help my patients foremost and welcome them to this club PERSONALLY. Because I think one of the best ways to begin to accept this is to meet or talk to someone else with the same disease/questions.

So, I'm 33. Is it too late for me to do this? I'm tired of my job anyway, but can't really quit because it pays the bills and I've moved since so similar jobs don't pay as well. I had truly thought about being an opthalmologist when I was in school, and I even thought about being a sex therapist because I was the one EVERYBODY turned to when they had sex/relationship questions. And I was very good at talking about it in a mature manner. And now I've been talking about so many different kinds of sex for 7 months that I think hey, why not? I could become a sex educator but I'd hate to see what they WANT me to teach versus what I think should be taught. I'd probably get a ton of complaints because of my straightforwardness.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I would do FIRST if I went back to school and specialized in only herpes? (Just think, I'd own one of those oxygen therapy machines (no I don't know what it's called) and I'd cure myself like most of the athletes seem to do, and help others do the same thing while earning a living. Not a bad idea.

Actually, an excellent idea. Great post.

Doctors don't like to deal with herpes, and they don't like to diagnose it, because patients become very upset when they find out they have it. Sometimes patients sue people over it and the doctor gets caught up in a legal process. Sometimes people get suicidal over it etc. People get divorced over it. Doctors don't like to set off an earthquake in a patient's life when this virus is so common that a huge number of people have it. Why should their patient be the one who has to know about it? And doctors think it's not a big deal compared to the very serious illnesses they treat every day. So doctors don't deal well with herpes patients.

None of the above is any excuse but it is an explanation.

As for your plan, I think it's a terrific idea and you should consider it seriously. At my age, your age seems very young. With life expectancy statistics, you have every chance of living another half century or more.

But...consider that it does take 8-10 yrs to become a doctor. By that time there will probably be a herpes vaccine thus ending a lot of the drama of the present miserable situation.

Maybe--just a suggestion here--a better plan would be to become a Nurse Practitioner. Those are the people doctors mostly rely on for herpes diagnosis and treatments anyway--that is all I have seen so far. They have more time than doctors do to see patients and can be more personal and helpful.

If you become an NP, it would only take about 3 years. 2 years to get an RN, one more year for the NP license. Herpes will still be a happening thing then and you could get together with some other idealistic NP you meet while you are in school and set up a private diagnostic and counseling clinic. Most states do not have strict licensing requirements for diagnostic clinics and/or counseling (as opposed to being a licensed particular kind of counselor, like family counselor or psychologist). You would probably be very successful because so many people have herpes and other clinics don't even deal with it at all in any real way--most STD screening/diagnostic clinics do not even include herpes in their testing. And most people who find out they have herpes would give anything for access to a clinic where they could be treated kindly and given helpful information and support. If your clinic worked out, you could even go into franchising and make a fortune, all by helping people who have nowhere to turn right now.

I hope you give this some serious consideration. Even if, by the time you got your NP, there was a vaccine, you could find some other way to be useful in this area. Herpes sufferers would still need ongoing treatment and people would look for a clinic to supply the vaccine.

Eurydice

I think it's a great idea, you don't have specialize in herpes. You would be great in any specialization. You want to help people and you are very smart. This is what we expect of doctors. Mine is good, beside I brought him bad news about herpes, so I didn't put him in difficult situation.

But he was funny: when I told him that I don't like men anymore and maybe I should switch to women, he said that he just saw gay girl with chlamydia, so I should reconsider my decision.:rolleyes:

Of course we were joking. But he can do it, he can make me laugh.

So more like him, you would be great. And you are very young.

Good luck.

chole

My doc told me it would be unlikely that I had H.....then told me to find a gum clinic just incase.....great advice a.I have changed docs now and made a compliaint against him.