World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Eve Kendall

For the ever popular Mr Smith and any other blood test experts

Eve Kendall

Hi,

I posted this on another forum, but I thought I might as well here too.

I had what I thought was my first outbreak over a month ago. It came as quite a shock considering I have not been sexually active since August. My last STI test was 18 months ago, though I was not tested for herpes. My only sexual partner since my test tested negative for everything (including herpes he claims) before and after we were together. I discovered I most likely would have caught it from a one night stand dating two years back. A swab culture was done, though it came back negative. Not very surprising considering it was done 4 or 5 days after it first appeared. I was then prescribed a type specific serology. I tested negative for both HSV1 and HSV2. I have to say both my doctor and I were floored and confused, me particularly since I had fever blisters/cold sres/whatever as a kid and thought it very likely I would test positive for both. She suggested I meet up with a gynecologist to explore what else it could be, but I would like to know what the odds are that this was a false negative?

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

helied2me

Mr Smith, I need your help too.

I have tested negative after 8 1/2 months and now less a month later I have developed bumps that are unlike anything I have had before. I haven't been able to get them swabbed for a viral culture.

I know you have said I should move on but it's very hard in light of these new bumps. I know it took awhile for you and even though I never had an equivocal or even close, my numbers went from .08 and below on type 2 to .19 and from .03 to .34 and .35 on type 1.

I know there are controls and all and that my numbers still indicate negative. My concern is that the little bit of Famvir and Valtrex I took at about nine weeks may have had an impact on the antibodies. Is there anyway you can find out how long antivirals can impact test results? I'm feeling very uneasy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mr_Smith

Testing is a real muddy subject, and test results aren't always conclusive. No blood test is 100%, and even the best bloodtest can be fooled by this tricky virus.

The HerpeSelect, WesternBlot, and RapidBioKit all have about a 97-98% accuracy for HSV2, yet the HerpeSelect and WesterBlot seem to fall down a bit on detecting HSV1 (RapidBioKit is only for HSV2). You'll hear the stat thrown around where HSV1 is missed 10% of the time.

Not everything bad down yonder is herpes related, and this virus messes with your mind more than your body. I would retest again. If possible find out which test you were given and research its accuracy. If the reviews are bad, consider searching out a doctor or lab that uses the HerpeSelect brand test. It is available in Canada, but finding it might take some effort. If you live close to the boarder, consider crossing over to the States and having it done here.

Also make sure you get copies of your results, I can't tell you the number of times people think they had the correct test, yet the printout reveals they didn't.

One thing for sure, next time you have a suspected outbreak, get to the doctors right away for a culture or PCR swabbing. As you realize you can't wait 4-5 days.

Regards

Mr Smith

Kya

Hey all,

Just to say, even after 2 weeks one can still get a positive result from a swab test! i did! (I say that like its a good thing?!?! hmmm lol)

However, it is advisable to go as soon as symptoms appear. The sooner you go, the higher the chance of a more precise result.

Mr_Smith

Helied2me;

My understanding on Famvir and Valtrex, is that they can 'delay' servoconversion (ie, turning bloodtest positive) by a couple weeks. But after that it will not effect the results of a blood test.

All of your values are 100% negative, nothing to worry about. However, there are the few rare indiviuals who servoconvert after 6 months, even after a year. Don't sign yourself up for this club, but having a third test at the 1 year mark would be my suggestion.

You are VERY knowledgeable on this virus.... if you feel there's something to culture then go to a clinic for swab testing.

Also, consider the WesternBlot or finding a doctor who offers the RapidBioKit; it's an in-office test with results in 20 minutes. It's been approved as a confirmation test for HSV2.

Regards

Mr Smith.

helied2me

Thank you Mr Smith,

I know all this and was just hoping I wasn't in that small percentile that takes so long.

It's hard to determine in the beginning, what might be razor rash or bumps from HSV which is why I always miss the window. Then there is the fact that recurrent outbreaks are harder to culture.

My last test was June 2 and it will be awhile before I have another one and of course, if I do become an official member of this club, I will post it.

Hope you have a good weekend, take care.:???:

tothefuture

Where've I been???

I haven't even heard of Mr Smith - I can't remember reading any of his posts.

Mr Smith - are you an expert on asymptomatic shedding? If you are, I'll post a question about it in that thread. Many thanks.

HC-Support-Team
Where've I been???

I haven't even heard of Mr Smith - I can't remember reading any of his posts.

Where have you been TTF? lol

Mr Smith is quite the legend around here for his extensive knowledge about herpes tests and procedures. Over time, he has given a great deal of insight to the puzzling topic of herpes testing and answered many tricky questions on this. Do a search of previous threads for more info.

Shenda

Eve Kendall

So I called the lab and asked about the test. I was told it was an ELISA method test (type specific) that is 98% accurate and can detect 80% of cases as of 3 months after exposure. This sounds comparable to Western Blot and HerpeSelect, no? Does anyone know?

tothefuture

Shenda - I know, I think I've been living in a void or something. But then I never look in the 'herpes tests and diagnosis', as I've been diagnosed and don't need to get tested:???:.

Wish I had now.................;)

Eve Kendall

" So I called the lab and asked about the test. I was told it was an ELISA method test (type specific) that is 98% accurate and can detect 80% of cases as of 3 months after exposure. This sounds comparable to Western Blot and HerpeSelect, no? Does anyone know? "

Anyone? Hello?

zaherpes

My one friend had bloodtests done but the doctor told her she has herpes but its not currently active? That its an old infection (> 6 months) as they ran 2 tests on the blood, one which will detect recent infections and one that does older infections? He didnt say what strain only that they test for HSV1 and 2.

I will try and get copies of the test to see what they did to post here, I dunno,sounds a bit dodgy?

Eve Kendall

I'm not going to lie, zaherpes: that makes no sense at all.

And please can we stop hijacking my thread? I'd just like a straight answer about the reliability of an ELISA method blood test done between 10 months and 2 years (most likely two years) after exposure. Thank you!

Mr_Smith
I'm not going to lie, zaherpes: that makes no sense at all.

And please can we stop hijacking my thread? I'd just like a straight answer about the reliability of an ELISA method blood test done between 10 months and 2 years (most likely two years) after exposure. Thank you!

The method of testings isn't so much important, rather it making sure you get the correct test. The correct test is an IgG type specific test, HerpeSelect is the most common in the US and was approved for use in Canada in 2001. However, finding this test in Canada can be tricky.

If you live close to the US border, I would suggest coming over here for a test. There are couple of online web sites that offer Herpes testing. The basic idea is you would cross over to the States, go to some lab for a blood draw, and then return home. You'll get your results posted on a secure web site. Cost is about $100-125 US dollars.

The HerpeSelect brand test comes in a couple different forms, including ELISA and the Immnuoblot. Both deliver about 97-98% accuracy. Keep in mind no blood test is 100%. The key to proper blood testing is waiting as long as you can before getting tested. About 50% of people will seroconvert (turn blood test positive) by week 7, and 95% by week 16. There are the rare cases where it can take 6 months or longer. The longest one I heard of is 47 weeks, and the person was getting a WesternBlot and HerpeSelect test each week. Sorry no citation on this, but his story was documented on another web site.

The Story that zaherpes tells sounds like an IgM test. Some doctors sill use this test to determing how long some one has been infected. Study after study has show the IgM antibodies can show up in 33% of recurring outbreaks and be present when the person is not even infected with this common virus. And this test is not recommend by the CDC, has been dropped by some labs for the testing of herpes. My opinion is zaherpes friend should get a new doctor who knows more about herpes. Bottom line, it a waste of time, energy and money trying to figure out the who and when of this common virus.

There comes a point where you have to accept your results. If you're negative after 2 years, then accept it and move on. If you feel your body is talking to you, and something isn't quite right, then it's possible something is wrong, but is doesn't mean everything down yonder is herpes related.

Regards

Mr Smith