World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
gg222

can someone please clue me in?

gg222

I had my first coldsore ever 2 weeks ago...it freaked me out. Im married and have been in a monogomous relationship for over 10 years. Now, I know that almost everyone can have the HSV1 virus and not know it..and I also know that I was having a meltdown about something, stressed myself out beyond my wild imagination- and that is probably what brought it on..

However, I went to the GYN who saw "something" vaginaly as well. He did a type specific test on me, and it came back saying NEG to HSV1, but POSITIVE to HSV2! He also cultured what he saw "down there' and nothng showed...so now Im totally confused.

I have HSV2 on my face? But, not vaginally?

How does anyone explain that? And, why? If I was going to have HSV2, didnt it show up in the culture?

I have no idea how or what to tell my husband..the doc prescribed valtrex for 2 days and Ive been using Lysine and abreva as well..my face looks fine, and I stopped itching "down there' but IM not sure if Im still contagious, or what to think! Anyone have any explanation about this to help me thru what is about to become week 3 of massive stress?

Thank you.

Kya

I got a little confused there.... do you have type 2 orally? and the sore you dorctor saw on ur vagina didnt comeback as herpes at all?

You can very easily hae type 2 orally! It is very common. You could have gotten if from kissing someone who also has type two orally or giving oral sex to someone with type 2 on their genitals.

Cuts/sores/itching can be casued by a number of things, not just herpes. However, if you get them it is always a good idea to be checked out just to be on the safe side.

Chances are your husband already has it and just doesnt know, or doesnt realise that 'cold sores' are casued by the herpes virus. He could have given it to you or you could have given it to him. I dont think there is anyway of knowing.

The sore you have on your lip.... you wil be contagious until it clears up, that means you can pass it on through kissing or giving oral sex without a condom. Though if your husband already has it orally you cant reinfect him orally, the same as if it is on his genitals.

Hope that helped.

gg222

Hi kya. Thank you for responding. Let me see if I can clear up the confusion.

I have a cold sore- at least I did, its 99% gone now.

I had something genitally, but couldnt see it, it was mor of a burning cut- which I assumed was some sort of OB. Thats what the gyn swabbed..nothing came back on it!

THe type specific test showed HSV2 but NOT HSV1- which blew my mind. I was expected to hear that I had the HSV1...so we dont know if it means I had HSV2 on my face- or the blood work was done too soon to know for sure.

My husband has never had either type, at least symtomatically...he is figuring that I got a cold sore- from stress.

I have been under ultra stress for the past month with my job, which by the way, I gave two weeks notice to yesterday. Cant take it anymore. I also have an autoimmune disorder which I only recently found out about, and with that, stress intensified. Im on meds now, shots, actually, daily- to try to keeep those symtoms at bay, but unfortunately, they also lower the immune system.

I figure its only a matter of time until my body totally quits on me. I could handle it, if HERPES was something I didnt have to worry about on top of it.

TaKing 1000 mgs of Lysine right now, do you think that helps? Also have a script on file for Valtrex should I need it, but cant take it daily as preventative with my other drugs...and still havent told my husband this. I figured if the genital swab wasnt herpes and it was chlmadyia, sphllis and I got an HIV negative- theres no reason to freak out at this time....

what do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Kya

Hey,

I cant help with the meds thing coz I dont take anything unles I have a ob and even then its acyclovir.

If you have a cold sore, you HAVE herpes, and if you were tested for a type and it came back type 2 then you have type 2 orally, at least. Type 1 is generally found in the mouth, but since this can be passed orally to the gentials, there are just as many case of people with type 1 genitally as there are people with type 2 orally.

As i said, oral sex with someone who has type 2 genitally, may result in (not always, the chances of catching it when there are no symptoms is about 5%) catching that type in your mouth. Which could then in theory, be passed to the partner orally through kissing and then passd back to you genitally via oral sex. Nice little cycle but something those that have it (even if they dont realise) have to deal with. Hoever, these are many couples out there that have never (or if they have their partner has no symptoms) passed it on and spread it.

The swab done on the sore that was found on your vagina, just becasue it came back negative doesnt mean that you dont have it on your genitals as well. Its very common for results for this virus to come back negative, esp. if your symptoms are already starting to heal then the swab dosent collected enough of the virus cells to cultivate it in the lab. That said, it may have just be a cut (dont by scratching yourself, catching yourself shaving etc).

Everyone reacts to this virus differently, some people's immune system has trouble dealing with it and so they have many ob's and can sometimes be very painful, resulting it a number of sores. Others can go through life with no symptoms in the slightest, hence why so many people dont even know they are carriers.

If you have been with your husband for 10 years, there maybe a chance he has it as well- provided he wasnt the one to pass it on to you in the first place (its hard to tell) Believe a blood test (available in the US- not UK) will let you know if he has the antibodies for the virus, if he does its most likely to be type 2, being as that is what you have. If he doesnt have it at all, then you've gone 10 years of being together and not passed it to him! Thats pretty good. As long as you refrain when you have an ob then it should be ok. (Course as i said the chances are 5% when no symptoms are apparent)

Sorry to hear about your other problems, but if your immune system is low due to this other condition and this is the frist ob of herpes you have had then your body must be adapt to keeping it at bay. Just the added stress of your job may have triggered it. Or, you have only just contracted the virus.

Long, i know, sorry. lol But a cold sore IS herpes. If you dont understand anything I can try and clear it up, or see if some of the others maybe able to help. I'm still learning it all myself. :-)

gg222

Thank you again. I do know that Herpes is Herpes, no matter what strain it is or where it is located. I think the thing that is blowing my mind is a very obvious cold sore, shows no Herpes1 and a pretty obvious "something' vaginally showed nothing via culture, but something via blood test.. I still find this strange...and am going with the gut feeling that quite possibly, the blood test was taken too early for the HSV1 to show up. I may very well test positive for both of them 3 months from now. (and plan to get retested).

As for my husband..I have the most stubborn husband in the world, who will be keeling over before I get him to a doctor. Im not getting him there for bloodwork, and truthfully- unless he needs to be treated for an OB, why should I?? Knowing or not knowing, isnt going to change a thing. I know what to look for, and you can believe that Ill be looking for it, on both of us!

Just wanted to ask you, do you use acyclovir pills or cream? They did give me a sample of the cream, which I used in conjuction with the Valtrex on my cold sore- dont know which one really helped more, but they did help. It was gone much quicker than it could have been. I just pray that I dont get another one of those...everyone is giving me a different time frame on when they are no longer contagious..my GYN says '10 days after the scab is gone" my Derm says "immediately after it appears to be gone" and my nurse friend says about 3 days after the scab is gone...any ideas on this?

As for the vaginal thing possibly not being herpes, I can only pray you are right. I hadnt shaved in awhile, as I had had a bikini wax 2 weeks prior which was still holding its own- I have never had anything like this before..I guess its a time will tell thing, right?

Thanks so much..just talking to you has helped.

Kya
Thank you again. I do know that Herpes is Herpes, no matter what strain it is or where it is located. I think the thing that is blowing my mind is a very obvious cold sore, shows no Herpes1 and a pretty obvious "something' vaginally showed nothing via culture, but something via blood test.. I still find this strange...and am going with the gut feeling that quite possibly, the blood test was taken too early for the HSV1 to show up. I may very well test positive for both of them 3 months from now. (and plan to get retested).

HSV2 will present as a cold sore if you have it orally. Just becasue the type test only showed type 2, doesnt meant that you have herpes on ur genitals.

Yes, type 2 prefers the gential area and type 1 prefers the mouth. But you can easily get type 2 in your mouth and type 1 on your genitals. It really doesnt matter. Loads of people have type 2 in their mouth and it will present as a so called 'cold sore'.

I have the tablets only, was told by the doctor that the cream doesnt make any difference when i asked if there was anything I could use for the soreness and itching (I have HSV2 genitally- which means its in its favored environment and has the potential to casue me more obs, annoyingly) You need to find the best type or combination of types of meds that suit you. The acyclovir tablets worked fine for me. Though by the time I started taking for my first ob, I had been sore for about 2 weeks and then took another week for them to clear up completely.

As for how long after having an ob that you are free (so to speak) to kiss, have sex again etc... I think a few days after it has healed up is best. Course if you feel more itching, tingling or pain in the area then you maybe refaining for a while to see if anything happens might be an idea. Until you know the symptoms of the start of an ob its difficult.

No worries for the advice... just hope it helps in some form. :-)

gg222

It helps in ALL forms! (the advice). This forum is wonderful and people like you make all the difference. thanks!

ginnyp

HI there, I just want to add to this.

If you retest in 3 months and you still are negative for type 1, then the coldsore is most likely type 2. It is possible to have type 2 in both places, so you could have it genitally too. The swab test could have come back negative since it was not much of a sore, or the virus could have already retreated back to the ganglia. Then you would be positive but have a negative test result.

You know, your husband could actually have type 2 genitally and you could have caught it in both locations by having sex and giving him oral sex. Yes, someone can have it for over 10 years without passing it on sooner. If this is the case, remember that type 2 oral rarely if EVER recurs, it has the least amount of chance to recur or shed.

It's also possible that you already have type 2 genitally and this cold sore on your lip is a new type 1 infection, and your blood antibodies just haven't seroconverted yet. It's probably gonna be a little while before you really know what's up. Good luck. :)

gg222

Thanks Ginny. What you said, is pretty much what Im guessing, that its either one of those two situations. Guess it would be great, if it was type 2 on my lip, and it never reoccurred...but my luck just isnt that good!

Im doing what I can to let this just "do its thing" and not freak out, my freaking out days are over! (all it gets me are OBs apparently).

I really appreciate your adding to this...the more info i get, the better off Ill be.

Thanks,

GG