World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
mdhp

Way TMI...but I need your experience

mdhp

Seriously, this is waaaay TMI.

For about 4 days, I noticed that I wasn't able to go, excuse the juvenile lingo but, number two. There was also a weird feeling up there...not pain, not achy, maybe a fullness and slight discomfort?? I thought maybe it was just diet-related. Yesterday I took a dose of laxatives, and bam boom, thought that was over. But today, that feeling of slight discomfort and fullness is still up there, and I haven't "gone" today either. Has anyone experienced this or heard anything about it as a complication of HSV? I can't seem to find any good info online. I'm also experiencing a slow start to urination. Please help....I'm worried. :(

namaste

During my first outbreak, I did experience the slow start to urination and also some constipation. My symptoms started w/ pain during urination and then progressed to difficulty starting urination but no pain at that point. My doctor actually tried to send me to the urologist because she thought i had urinary stenosis. I finally got the NP at the office to see me after much begging and suggesting that I suspected I may have HSV. HSV can wreak havoc on all the nerves in the pelvic area. Urination and bowel movements are in part controlled by nerve impulses to the smooth muscles so I can see why HSV would affect both of these. I had trouble urinating for maybe 5-7 days and then it gradually improved. The constipation took slightly longer to improve but did subside. It takes a while for the nerves to calm down and everything to get back to normal. Hope you are feeling better soon.

mdhp

Thank you so much! It's always so good to know that other people have experienced what you are. I basically had myself freaked out last night thinking it was something entirely different. That makes a lot of sense. Just like you, I had extreme pain when urinating that eventually progressed to just slow to start, but I have been going through that longer...about 10 days now (the pain stopped after 4). I guess I should just keep taking laxatives as needed until things clear up? Even though the tears are all healed up, does that mean that I'm still contagious since I'm experiencing these symptoms?

Again, thank you so much....that information was very helpful!

namaste

You can keep taking the laxatives only when needed. I would recommend a Senna based laxative. It's a vegetable based laxative and doesn't seem to be as harsh as some of the other one's out there. I am a pharmacist and that is what I usually take if I'm having problems--usually 1-2 tabs at bedtime and it works in the morning. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids--if you are dehydrated that can worsen the constipation. I know during my 1st outbreak I didn't really eat well or keep myself hydrated as well as I should have. If the problems with urination don't start to improve soon you may want to talk to your doctor again just to make sure there isn't something elso going on although I would say it is most likely HSV related. My right butt cheek and upper leg were slightly numb for close to a month so it does take a while for the nerves to calm down. I was just lucky it didn't take that long for the urinary symptoms to resolve. I would say if you are still experiencing symptoms you may possibly be contagious still. The 1st outbreak does take a little longer to resolve and is usually more severe than recurrences. I didn't really feel completely back to normal for close to a month. Good luck.

estoy_perdida

You're not alone. I experienced similar symptoms with my first/second outbreak (they were a week apart). I had trained myself to hold my pee (because of the pain) so even after the pain went away, I had trouble getting the pee flowing fast. I too, had become constipated and it was horrible! For days I couldn't go! I bought an over the counter laxative and it took 2 days to work. Even then, there wasn't much product. I didn't know what was up because I did have to go, but it wouldn't come out! I even went to the gastroenterologist who didn't think it was due to the HSV. However, hearing both of your stories, I think he was wrong. He just told me to eat more fiber and that would get me going. Before this, I never had trouble going so I thought the whole ordeal was weird. As for you being contagious, I don't think having these constipation problems mean you're contagious. But the urination problem may be one indicator that you are still contagious. Everyone's body has different symptoms that hint an outbreak. If this is ur first ob, the symptoms generally linger around for longer.

JustMe89

i have been experiencing horrible bowel movements myself, but didnt know what was causing the problem for a while. it has been going on for months and i always told my gyn but she would dismiss it and tell me to speak to my doctor. my question is what can the doctor do to help or ease the bowel movements, i think mine is inflamed or something. also, would i need surgery for it?

Eurydice
Seriously, this is waaaay TMI.

For about 4 days, I noticed that I wasn't able to go, excuse the juvenile lingo but, number two. There was also a weird feeling up there...not pain, not achy, maybe a fullness and slight discomfort?? I thought maybe it was just diet-related. Yesterday I took a dose of laxatives, and bam boom, thought that was over. But today, that feeling of slight discomfort and fullness is still up there, and I haven't "gone" today either. Has anyone experienced this or heard anything about it as a complication of HSV? I can't seem to find any good info online. I'm also experiencing a slow start to urination. Please help....I'm worried. :(

Hi mdhp,

I had the same symptoms you have, but after I went to see my doc and he sent me for urine test. The results showed bladder infection. It started while I had that outbreak. He gave me antibiotics to take for 3 days and I was fine after. So don't get scared, we all feel like that.:rolleyes:

BeantownBeauty

I just had something similar going on, I just had a uti.