World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Scared_need help

Seroconversion & testing timeframes

Scared_need help

Many of you know I have posted before. Anyway, I went to my dermatologist and he said the pimple I had in my pubic hair was nothing to worrry about - most likely an infected pimple etc. It has gotten slightly better but I still have it after 1 1/2 weeks which kinda makes me nervous. It dosen't hurt though and kinda has a white top to it. I have no other symptoms at the 3 week mark since I've been with the partner who I feel had HSV2.

I've been reading up on all the tests. Last month I did a Herpeselect type specific test and tested negative for both HSV1 and HSV2 so my status before this partner was definitely negative.

It looks like 6 months is the minimum you can wait for the test to make sure you have accurate results but 3/4 months also seems accurate for MOST people. I was reading up on the pockit(?) and herpeselect and they said that the median time is like 21-25 days for seroconversion. I noticed they didn't say mean time which would have been the avg time people seroconverted. So I read this median time as between 21-25 days most likely at least 50% will have seroconverted and test positive if they are. I realize that if you test negative in the first month, you could be one of the other 50% guys/gals that later tests positive in months 2,3,4.

Also, do most people feel you need to wait 6 months to be test and be in the clear? The test I took last month was way over 6 months so I know I was definitely negative then.

I'm just trying to look for some peace of mind and If I'm willing to test again, I would know this month that hopefully I'm not infected yet and have a 50/50 chance of seroconverting.

Thanks for your time!

Thoughts on testing early and the most accurate test if you do test early? (IE most sensitive test which is likely to pick it up early even though you can seroconvert later)

ruinedbymistake

Yes, wait 6 months minimum for an accurate result.

Herpeselect is fine for rapid detection. But really 3 or 4 months, although quoted everywhere you look, is simply not enough time for good sensitivity, probably especially for subclinical infections and/or those which were treated early/often with antivirals.

If you get a negative at 6 months, but are still experiencing symptoms, you should probably test again. It might also be useful to get a different type of test (WB, Pockit, Kalon). It might sound paranoid, but my view is that one doesn't want to go around infecting others and then blame some inaccurate test result when he/she should have known better.

Scared_need help
Herpeselect is fine for rapid detection. But really 3 or 4 months, although quoted everywhere you look, is simply not enough time for good sensitivity, probably especially for subclinical infections and/or those which were treated early/often with antivirals.

If you get a negative at 6 months, but are still experiencing symptoms, you should probably test again. It might also be useful to get a different type of test (WB, Pockit, Kalon). It might sound paranoid, but my view is that one doesn't want to go around infecting others and then blame some inaccurate test result when he/she should have known better.

But is it safe to say that 50% of people would convert within the first month?

Mr_Smith

It's easy to throw stats around concerning seroconversions with median times. But I think 'ruinedbymistake' hits it right on the nose:"...that one doesn't want to go around infecting others and then blame some inaccurate test result when he/she should have known better."

The longer you wait the higher the accuracy of a negative results, and I would wait as long as you can before getting tested, 6 months if possible. The accuracy of a positive HerpeSelect result is about 97-98% at any time.

Regards

Mr Smith