World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
gotitsowhat

Good news, possible bad news...

gotitsowhat

Sometimes I think life is an ongoing good news/bad news joke.

The good news: The outbreak from Hell, the worst outbreak by far that I have ever had, is now clearing up and the pain in gone. I took a lot of Valtrex, had some side effects from it (dizziness) but kept it up and also took vitamin C (powdered ester-C), lysine (liquid extract) and ginseng. So it's gone and that is a relief.

The "bad" news: On Thursday, I got a note in my mailbox at work. The week before, I had gone for my annual physical exam in the employee's clinic. They do a very complete physical. The note I got said that something was problematical in my exam and I needed to consult with their doctor about it. It said I had to come in this coming Wednesday morning to discuss it with the doctor. The note also contained some words in bold faced type: DO NOT CALL THE CLINIC ABOUT THIS BECAUSE WE WILL NOT GIVE YOU ANY INFORMATION ABOUT IT UNTIL YOU SEE THE DOCTOR! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COME IN BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT TIME BECAUSE THE DOCTOR WILL NOT SEE YOU THEN NOR WILL WE TELL YOU ANYTHING!

So, Thursday to Wednesday....hmmmm....about seven days! That's really kind and sensitive of them--they tell you something is medically wrong with you and then give you about a week or so to think about it without any further information. Fortunately, I am not an obsessive worrier but I can easily imagine that some people have gotten ill just waiting for the consultation!

This is one of those things that puts you up against the usually suppressed knowledge of your own mortality.

I know that I am actually in some danger every day on the freeway. I had an accident on Thursday, too! Wasn't hurt, though, or at least not much. Guy rear ended me, left a giant dent in my bumper, then took off grinning a superior grin at me. I took off chasing him through traffic, then gave up realizing how dangerous that is. So my old dented car has one more dent in it and my neck hurt for a couple of days--put a lot of Sportscreme on it, took hot showers and Motrin and am now OK though still have a little bit of anger toward the guy, not for the rear end collision but for his shit eating grin and feelings of superiority because he got away with it. What a jerk. The irony is that I would not have even taken his information as long as my trunk still opens (it does) and the car still runs OK (it does)--I would have told him it was all right, that driving on that freeway is tough and we would have shaken hands and wished each other well. I never hold anyone accountable for small accidents if the car is driveable and the person who did it is not drunk, stoned or threatening. Life is too short. But the jerk never gave me a chance to let him know it was OK and he felt so superior as he illegally and unethically fled the scene. Oh, well.

So life is short and we are vulnerable. I am going to make the most of today. And try to let Wednesday take care of itself. But I admit that every so often a worry hits me (Is it...heart disease? An inaccurate drug test that will make me look like a low life junkie? HIV due to all the blood that splashes on me in drops from the fighting patients where I work? My pancreatic condition flaring up again requiring more hospitalization? Or.....fill in the blank with whatever medical stuff you fear)...?

I'll post whatever idiot thing it is on Wednesday when the employee clinic doctor decides it is time to inform me.

Kya

The waiting is the worst thing ever!! Im not ery good at waiting for things, esp. things like this!! If I knew that there was somthing wrong I would be panicing like hell!!

Why I hate it when they call you up and say can you make an appointment and come and see us....they only do that when there is somthing wrong!!! Just makes my heart miss a beat and I cant focus on anything other than....wot could it be this time?!?!?! Hopeing that it is somthing curable and treatable this time!! And nothing lifethreatening!!

It must be horrible!! Could they have picked up on you havng herpes?? Coould that be it? you already know about that!

Guess its just trying to stay cool and chill! Do hope its nothing too serious!!!

tothefuture

But how can making patients wait so long for results be good for them??

I mean, these are the very people who should have our best interests at heart, and all they do is make us stressed by making us wait for everything!

Wait for an appointment.

Wait for an appointment with the doctor we'd actually like to see (not the one everyone avoids!!!).

Wait for an appointment for the tests.

And, of course, wait for the results.

I know the 'system' can't please all of the people all of the time.

But pleasing some of the people, some of the time would be a start!

I hope it all goes well on Wednesday.

GodIsMerciful

WoW!

Yeah, that sucks. I'm kinda feeling a little something in my soul because you have to go through this. I would be literally going crazy if it was me, doctors are so inconsiderate at times. I hope everything is okay and I'll be praying for you. You are right when you say, that we often don't think about that fact that God can take us out at any second, but honestly for me catching the herpes virus, has really made me think more about the importance of living everyday to the fullest. We have somewhat of a control of the outcome of our life, but not 100% Good luck, going through this and just try not to worry too much. Do something that you like to do and enjoy each day as much as you can!;)

Sophie D.

Brainyblonde,

THAT SUCKS! About both situations.

About the medical situation, are they freakin joking???

We have to tell you something super important, so important that we can't even give you a hint as to what it is, but wait for a week.

That is just cruel.

I can't imagine what it could be, maybe just some overzealous HIPAA compliant doctor, just won't give any info about patient unless patient is sitting in front of them.

I wish you well.

gotitsowhat

Could they have picked up on you havng herpes?? Coould that be it? you already know about that!

I don't think that is it because they give you a form to fill out in which you relate all of your various conditions. I really hate filling out those forms at doctor's and dentist's office. I always hesitate to divulge my herpes but I always do. It is so personal and I always picture office staff laughing about it or making comments or at least thinking the worst of me. But since it IS a medical condition, not just a social badge of shame, I do put it down and I did put it on the form as I always do. So they know about that (sigh).

gotitsowhat
But how can making patients wait so long for results be good for them??

To be scientific about it, it is NOT good for them A few years ago, Harvard Med school did a study of what factors influence the onset of heart disease. They came to the conclusion that a less stressful life was more powerful in preventing heart attacks and heart failure than ALL other factors, including weight, exercise and smoking! Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in our society. Obviously, our health system is about corporate interests and bureaucratic convenience, not about our well being. And the sad thing is....this is probably no real surprise to any of us.

beachday

I am sorry about these two situations happening to you. thank goodness you are ok from the car accident. I didn't think you can drive fast enough on the LA freeways since it is sooo crowded, to hit someone. what an ahole too.

As for the doc, I would not be taking it well at all and I would be calling everyday for whatever results they were making me wait a week for. You are strong, good luck and let us know how it goes.

catiesmom

Gosh, if i were you i'd be a basket case. I can't imagine a doctor's office saying "DO NOT CALL". That sucks. If i were you, i'd be in there raising hell until they reversed that little policy!

gotitsowhat

I work on a state job

and these jobs are famous for not caring what happens to their employees. Your emotional well being is the least of their concerns when you work here. It's a giant bureaucracy. No hope whatsoever of changing their policy. I go in tomorrow to discover what irregularity they've discovered in my medical tests. I am fully prepared to discover that they will postpone the appointment again for some reason. Fortunately, I am now old enough to have had a number of chances to realize that I am mortal. Also, I know that I have been a pretty good survivor so far. So I am not TOO worried but I admit that this delay is annoying. Several fellow employees have told me that they have been through this "Something's wrong, don't call us, come in next week" routine and they did not like it, either.

Sophie D.

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you. I hope everything was ok and they were just overreacting to something relatively minor.