World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
La Femme

Ocular Herpes & mild outbreaks

Advertisement
0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD? Get tested privately here.

La Femme

Hey folks

I have a question on ocular herpes. A guy friend told me that he had ocular herpes last year. Does this mean that he can have a recurrence of the infection in his eye.

Also if he gets the IgG type specific test - will this show up as positive for hsv 1?

Another question, for those of you that have mild outbreaks - do you just have one pimple? Is the pimple red and/or have a head? Is your outbreak more like a bump and does it hurt?

Thanks

Eurydice
Hey folks

I have a question on ocular herpes. A guy friend told me that he had ocular herpes last year. Does this mean that he can have a recurrence of the infection in his eye.

Also if he gets the IgG type specific test - will this show up as positive for hsv 1?

Another question, for those of you that have mild outbreaks - do you just have one pimple? Is the pimple red and/or have a head? Is your outbreak more like a bump and does it hurt?

Thanks

Sorry, La Femme, I have no idea about ocular herpes.

But I just had a second outbreak and it was very mild. I had 3 tiny blisters, and not sure if all of them were blisters, sometimes I get just pimples, which are not herpes. They didn't hurt at all, and I put oil of oregano on them and disappeared in two days. I know it was an outbreak because I had slight flu symptoms (chills, sweating at night).

murakami

I've got ocular herpes right now :(

taking 800mg acyclovir daily - it keeps it sort of barely under control. it seems as if my outbreaks are directly related to having dental work done

I definitely get recurrences in the same site in my eye, just like you'd get if you had blisters on your lip - it's always the right eye - hurts like hell!

oddballman123

I think my girlfriend might have ocular herpes, but I'm not entirely sure. She just had a break out a day ago (a red bump on her lower eyelid and bumps on the edges of her eyelids).

My problem is, I'm worried she might go blind, that it could travel to her brain and kill her...basically all the worst-case scenarios I've read about on websites. Should I be extremely worried or is this fairly common and treatable? She went into the doctor right away.

kymmer

What did the doc say? Lots of stuff can appear on/in/around the eye... could be simply a stye(sp?)

Did they test for STDs including HSV?

What's your status?

The web is a wonderful tool - but it scares the crap out of me sometimes too... lots of worst case scenarios are portrayed...

Try to get some definitive answers before you get completely freaked out.

oddballman123

Yeah, they tested for it but we won't get the results for a week.

I actually tested positive for HSV II over a year ago and she stayed with me even though it was probable that I got it from another girl while I was dating her.

She tested positive for HSV I a few weeks after I got my positive result.

The doctor said it looked like cold sores.

I'm so freaked out that I could've caused her to get this. I've been pretty much over the fact that I caught it (I only had one outbreak, I got lucky), but the thought that I could have caused something extremely serious to happen to my girlfriend is driving me insane.

kymmer

I know how you feel (guilty, ashamed, mad, etc)- I too am the culprit as far as giving it to my partner.

Observation though - you know you didn't giver her HSV1 right (if you only have HSV2)? It doesn't work that way.

Either some one was misdiagnosed, or you each brought it to the relationship... who really cares at this point - it wasn't a secret, and neither of you intended to cause additional issues...

So here's the thing - you both have it - same crappy thing - just with two different site preferences for OBs.

You two have got to relax - wait for results - then come to terms - and do the good fight to avoid the spread to other areas.

Keep everyone informed - we rarely get closure on any of these postings...

oddballman123

Weird, I didn't know that. I thought HSV 1 could become HSV 2 and like wise.

Yeah, I'll be checking back on here more frequently. I just started an account today 'cause my paranoia got the better of me and I couldn't find any direct information about ocular herpes.

Honestly I should've started an account a year ago when I was freaking out about it left and right. I dealt with it myself, but it was pretty hard to cope with.

kymmer

Yeah - some one here clued me in to the same thing about only passing the strain you have. Am still waiting to find out if I have type 2 in addition to type 1 - my partner was diagnosed with type 2. Hmmm. Again, doesn't matter now - we both have it....

Funny thing though - and you'll see this as you read up - even some of the docs pass bad info, ie - oh a blister downstairs = HSV2, a blister on your face = HSV1. A lot of docs are resistant to testing and will say it doesn't matter, a lot of people have it! OMG!

Good luck.

ginnyp

Yeah, lots of people, including docs, think if it is downstairs, it HAS to be HSV2, but that is not true. And HSV2 can show up on the face as well. However, I've been doing a lot of research since getting HSV2 and haven't found anyone with ocular HSV2. Most cases says it's HSV1 that causes ocular herpes, and if your partner already had hsv1 it's very possible it was self-inflicted. I am NOT saying HSV2 never causes ocular herpes, just that it is sooooo rare and I've never really read anything about it, and that hsv1 is usually the culprit for ocular as well as encephelitis (brain herpes). And the brain infection is even MORE rare, so try not to worry about that too much, if you get it, you'll KNOW it because it will hurt so much you'll be in the hospital right away. Just make sure to mention to the docs you have hsv so make them check for it. But usually both eye and brain herpes are caused by type 1.

peter

hsv2 can occur in the eye

According to what I've read, hsv2 can occur in the eye. It seems to more commonly affect the retina though, which causes different complications and probably not visible lesions on the cornea or around the eye.

I'm actually a bit worried about this myself. Can somebody with ocular herpes (hsv1) elaborate on their symptoms? Recently, I get short bursts of extreme pain when my eye gets wet, such as after crying about how life isn't fair sometimes :sad: or showering, or even just sitting in the car doing nothing special. Really sucks while being on the highway. Most of the time though, my eyes feel just fine, perhaps a little stickier than normal when blinking.