Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hope1950

Manuka Honey!

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and it's a lulu.:-D I'm a 58 year old woman who was diagnosed with genital herpes in 1992, along with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. After multiple herpes outbreaks the first year, it all seemed to have died down - I had an outbreak in 2000 and that was the last one until this week. I guess my immune system has been down recently, because I also got my first coldsore in years about two weeks before the genital outbreak.

Anyway, here's the fantastic news! The outbreak was really bad, painful in the extreme, and it was the weekend, so I couldn't get to my doc for a prescription. However, several months ago I bought a jar of Manuka honey from the health food store, to deal with a possible HPV infection in my stomach. This honey is from New Zealand and has very high medicinal properties - the main one being that it is antimicrobial. I thought, what the heck, I'll try anything in my present state. So I just put a little on the tip of my finger (rubber gloved, of course), and applied it directly to the lesions. I couldn't believe it, but the whole mess was cleared up in two days. No crusting, nothing but clean vulval area.

So, in the interest of helping someone else, I thought I would post this here. This honey isn't cheap, but it's not the kind you put in your tea or bake with, so it will last a long time. If you want quick relief, believe me, this works.

More about Manuka

Hi Blue Frog,

Yes, Manuka honey is gooey and sticky. It does have a strongly sweet odor, but not any stronger than some of the weird-smelling colognes and lotions people wear these days. But you don't need a lot; as I said, I just used a little dab on the tip of my finger each time, when I first got up, after my shower, and three or four times during the day. Because the lesions were within a labial fold, I just wore loose cotton undies and skirts to go out in. I guess if the lesions were on an exposed area, I'd probably want to cover them with an appropriately sized square of surgical gauze, to protect my clothing, at least for excursions outside my home. But it doesn't stain.

I've done a little research and found that medical studies were done with "Medihoney" (a trademarked brand of Manuka honey) on people with leukemia, who normally had very poor wound-healing ability, and that it increased the healing times for their lesions by an average of 50%. That's pretty amazing when you think about it.

Hope this helps.:cool:

Hi Hope,

I know, Manuka Honey is great for your immune system and antibacterial.

How does it fight the virus? I like all natural things, had too many antibiotics in my life...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Sanguine108
      St. John's Wort is really well studied.  There is proof of SJW enhancing the regeneration of nervous tissue.  There's a reason it's called a "nervine".   Herpetic episodes are hot and of the nerves.  SJW happens to cool the inflammation and help regenerate the nerves.      Dr.Halford has been studying HSV for 27 years and he acknowledges that herpes causes neuralgia.  
    • Tippyty
      Im  very happy that ur disclosure went well. I was diagnosed 15 yrs ago when there was no info and Internet was just starting.  They armed u with a pamphlet. I got it from a long term relationship of 14 yrs. The person I lost my virginity to. We had broken up and I just met my now ex husband. I told him and he said he didn't care because he loved me. We were married for 15 yrs. He never had ob and he won't get tested now for his future partners. I did disclose to another person and he was also fine with it. I gave him information and he loved me also. After he and I ended things I got tested and asked for everything to be done. Everything came back negative. So I thought I might have been missed diagnosed. I had such mild ob that sometimes they were just irritation. I got involved with a very nice man 8 months ago and about a week ago I thought I was having a outbreak. I freaked out. The std test came back negative. I didn't tell my bf because there was nothing to tell in the beginning because I thought I was negative. Well I told my bf that I as possibly having a outbreak and was confused and the whole story and he said he cared about me but couldn't deal with it. I didn't find out until the next day that std tests don't test for herpes. I am devastated and heart broken. I don't know if I will trust anyone again. I feel terrible guilt if I gave this to him. I hope that maybe after some time he might see that I didn't mean to break his trust.  Good luck with ur disclosure to ur husband. 
    • Felina88
      I was diagnosed via IGG during routine testing 2 months ago. I've never had a traditional outbreak in the sense that I've never experienced a blister or lesion. I'm about 3 weeks into my first bottle of Valtrex 500mg daily suppressant because my current boyfriend is H negative and I want to decrease transmission risk.  I can't tell if its psychological or physical, but I have been experiencing a constant burning sensation similar to a UTI/yeast infection in terms of pain. I have no idea if this is H related or not, but if it is... fuck, I'd rather have outbreaks a few times a year than this constant burning. What do I do? Help me. My abusive ex gave this to me. He had it, and he lied to me. Didn't take any protective measures. He wanted to trap me or lower my self-esteem or make me less desirable to every man who he was convinced was going to steal me away. Toward the end of the relationship he raped me. I can't have this constant burning reminder. I will die.
    • WilsoInAus
      Yes it is all fine, you cannot autoinnoculate yourself. No need for concerns on that. As mentioned, hundreds of people have been here with the same query but it has not happened to a single person I can recall.
    • jay12121
      can I spread it to myself if i currently dont have a cold sore and i havent had one in like a month? lets say i were to just touch my lips and then another object and then that object were to touch my private area, could i then spread it? at least what is the likelihood that ill reinfect myself, thank you for answering my initial question. ive only had coldsores for about 4 months, is that enough time to have an immune defense against autoinoculation?  
    • Lisajd
      I think part of what is going on for you if the stress that you are causing yourself because he wouldn't have constant headaches purely from the herpes.  And it's important to note that not everyone has severe symptoms so if you pass it on to someone they might not even have any symptoms which a lot of people don't because if they have a really strong immune system and positive attitude towards it it really doesn't affect your life.   And if a person has oral HSV 1 anyway they have some immunity and if they caught it they would probably have no symptoms and there are many people with HSV 1.  
    • Lisajd
      The way in which you believe that you may have spread it to another part of your body is simply illogical because you're actually in an environment where there is water so it is not direct contact
    • JBnATL
      I have been on this website for 7 years and have met thousands of Herpsters and I know that autoinoculation is a common fear, but please believe that it really never happens. Even if you did pass hsv2 to your mouth you will probably never have another outbreak and it is almost impossible for you to give it to someone else from that location. You WILL be ok, please believe that. JB
    • @lw@ys
      Yes, that is the most updated thread on Halford
    • @lw@ys
      I believe this blog is the precursor to this website. I just check to see if the site has gone live every so often. Crossing my fingers every time I do.
  • Featured