Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tetris123

persistent cold sores?

5 posts in this topic

About two and a half years I got my first cold sore outbreak on the very centre of my chin. I was diagnosed with impetigo by one doctor and was prescribed a cream and the sore cleared up. I got another outbreak about 2 months later in the exact same place and my usual doctor said that it was actually a cold sore and I began using zovirax. The sore persisted and I was rarely free from it for longer than a week. I started to get smaller sores in the surrounding areas, always on the chin. Eventually I was prescribed tablets that cleared it up for many months.

This July the original sore was sparked by exposure to sun. Since then I have not had one day without a cold sore. I've probably only had three or four major cold sores but I always have small ones all over my chin that I have to keep and eye on. They barely even blister but I know they are cold sores because they always occur in the exact places that they were originally, with a small amount of spreading also.

I know my situation could be a lot worse but I can't relax because they are always there and I worry about infecting others or spreading them further.

Recently, I tried taking lysine tablets and having a higher ratio of lysine to arginine in my diet but they didn't clear up. Nothing else helps and I am at a total loss as to what to do next, please help!

Cod liver tablets

Hi tetris123.

Try COD LIVER OIL TABLETS, I suffered for years with cold sores and 4 years ago I started taking these tablets, one a day every day, I just wish that I had started taking them years earlier, even on holiday in full sun they do not appear.

Let me know how you go on.

Regards, Les Wilson.

Re:

I'm right there with you tetris123. With antiviral pills and lysine, I've been able to keep the cold sores on the middle part of my upper-lip under control, but I feel like I am constantly keeping an eye on my lip b/c of the frequency of tingling and early cold-sore development (I can see the whiteness under my skin).

I feel like the virus is constantly active, and I just want it to go back to the nerve ganglion and give me a break. Does anyone else have this type of constant virus activity?

Les, thanks again for the post - I am willing to try cod liver (as I am willing to try any- and everything).

stringer: yes yes yes that''s EXACTLY my problem! it's always niggling away there. i started to think it maybe wasn't cold sores because no one else i know that gets them could relate to what i was saying. i'm going to try cod liver oil and report back!

Re:

Yeah tetris123, it's weird b/c the sores are generally "under control," but the virus is constantly active. I'm worried that minimal sun exposure and/or constant stress about it is/are causing the virus to stay constantly active. My dermatologist just prescribed Famvir and told me to check-back in a few months.

What does your lip generally look like? Every few days I feel the tingling and see the early stages of a white blister - but with a black dot in the middle. It's weird. But with treatment (famvir, lysine, etc.) it goes away in a matter of 1-3 days, only to have another one start to tingle in the same general location.

Anyway, I'm willing to try cod liver oil tablets but there isn't a ton of research showing its benefits. Let's hope it works...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• LillianPanos
      Do a swab and have it test for both hsv 1 and hsv 2. If you do bloodwork later make they test for both. Always get copies of the test results.  Most drs not very educated on herpes. Get prescription for valtrex or other antvirals. You are no alone
    • gonnakillher
      The first person I met after getting H said she had it, too. We now live too far apart for anything serious. But what a shocker. The very first person. And she said she only found out through a test she went for at random with a friend. Otherwise no symptoms. I totally believe the % estimates. 
    • male999
      Clunt, it's great to hear that you never had any further outbreak. I wonder what keeps you in these forums? did you get hsv 2 or 1?
      The Doctor didn't swab them. I will ask to swab them but not sure if they'll agree to do it.
      I see Valtrex is a drug, why is it necessary? In what day after exposure did you start taking it? what would be the difference compared to something topical such as zubirex? Personally pills never sound to me like something I'd like to deal with, at least not on constant basis. Right now I'm applying 2 times a day Povidone-iodine on the blisters.
      On one hand I feel I need some validation from my closer friends that it is normal, but on other hand I'm afraid that a friend can tell something about it to a less closer friend and that it will spread around. I read that during the first outbreak the virus is doing is way to the nerve system, I wonder if there's some way to block it from getting there, if it still didn't settle? Also I don't have much appetite. did you went on some special diet?   Lisajd, I suppose most chances are it is hsv2, just because it is more popular.  my Blood test was for HERPES HSV2 IgG. 
      What could it possible be if not herpes at all? I was negative for syphilis as well, by doing a TREPONEMA SCR./TPHA test. The girl did gave me unprotected oral, but I don't remember noticing any blisters in her mouth, and also my blisters showed only on the scrotum, which is the part that isn't protected by a condom. If it would have been due to the oral, I guess it wouldn't have shown only on the scrotum. And even if it HSV1, would the treatment be different? I can text her, don't know her well enough, and not sure how it could help. I'm already angry at myself for meeting her in first place. perhaps she doesn't even know she has it.  
    • Free73
      It is unusual for genital herpes to affect the lower abdomen and stomach. But that is where shingles can show. Shingles is called herpes zoster. zoster means 'belt' in Greek. That's why shingles is called herpes zoster, because it usually affects the area where you where a belt on your pants.
    • Lotofquestions32
      Hello! I had chickenpox and mono as a child. dont know if its shingles but it has been recurrent some time. In my life the only 2 igm tests i have took are both positive. igg is negative.
    • Free73
      It might be shingles? Did you have chicken pox as a child? The main areas for shingles is the stomach/waist and chest. IGM/IGG tests can often confuse between HSV and Shingles if a person has had exposure to herpes zoster (shingles)
    • Clearme
      Now we see the real you! Make your question more specific next time tuff guy online! It only takes one more article apparently! What are you so mad about tuff guy, you really didn't know something and now your embarrassed!
    • Terrell
      She hasn't been diagnosed but I took a picture and it looks like it she said happen while shaving but it looks like hsv2 I wish I could send you a pictorial 
    • SheIsBlue
      It's great to have you back, Clunk.  I am glad you are in a better place.  
    • Lisajd
      If you have sores you should get a swab test or get bloods in 12 weeks again. If its hsv you need to know if its hsv1 or 2.  This is important to understand.  The virus is about your inmune system so staying fit and healthy body and mind is key. The amount of obs also is individual and if its hsv1 they are less frequent anyway.   There are risks but again hsv1 genital is lower as is shedding which is what you were reading about.  No symptoms but active virus. Basically less obs equals less shedding equals less risk.  Meds and condoms reduce risk too. You can still date. First of all i suggest you get tested and find out for sure if its herpes.  A visual is not sufficient proof.   Did the girl give you oral?  Do you know her enough to ask if she has hsv
  • Featured