Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
someone1980

Can I give oral sex if I have genital herpes?

3 posts in this topic

Hi people,

I am a female who was infected by some jerk who has not told me the truth when asked if he was healthy.

I do not want to be that kind of jerk, so I will have to tell a new man in my life, which - miraculously - will probably stay with me after...

I want kids and family, but herpes induces limitations on sex life,which I am not sure my future partner will want to bear without having an affair.

So I'd like to know:

CAN I GIVE ORAL SEX TO MY PARTNER IF I HAVE GENITAL HERPES?

How long after the outbreak is cured it is not advisable to have any kind of sex?

Thank you.

The word healthy is subjective. I have herpes but still consider myself healthy. Many people dont know they have herpes so dont jump to conclusions. If you really wanted to know if your partner had an std you would have had to ask them to get a complete std screening and then let you see the results.

If you have oral herpes you can always pass it on if you perform oral sex on your partner whether you have an outbreak or you dont.

If you only have genital herpes you cannot pass it on through oral sex.

I have genital herpes and it doesnt put a dent in my sex life. If I do have an outbreak it is mild and lasts maybe 3 days. I dont take suppressive meds either.

Dear lifesstillgood,

thank you for your comforting answer!

I live outside US so probably people can be less open to those issues here.. But anyway, after you became aware about your infection - was it difficult for you to find a partner? (assuming, one must tell he/she is infected _before_ making sex, and at this stage people still have not developed close relationship - do many of them just run away? How is their reaction? I still haven't got the chance to check it and I am not looking forward to new relationship because of it...)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• VVK
      Is there a reason that you're still staying with him? Also how do you know it's HSV-1? Were you diagnosed through swab/blood test? And how were you tested when you got your HSV negative status prior to all of this? One of my ex-gf's used to get BV - I found a way to fix that by making sure that we were both showered/bathed prior to to having sex and her afterwards. However, if it's the semen that's causing your issues then just don't let him ejaculate inside of you. He should at least be sensitive enough to understand that BV is no fun and if he's the problem, he needs to deal with it.  
    • Free73
      They cannot take a swab unless a sore is present. Sarah, please go and take an IGG blood test if you want further confirmation
    • Lisajd
      He may have hsv1 oral or genital so thats how you received it
    • Lisajd
      In order to move forward you need to manage symptoms.  Are you on anti virals.  This anger eycay contribute to your symptoms.  Stress is not good for herpes.  Did you get tested for hsv as its not standard in your initial test.  What exactly do you have and what does he have.  You say your negative for 1 and but he has herpes.  Need to clarify.  
    • Lisajd
      Look you have hsv1 which provides some immunity. He had sex with prostitutes who you dont even know have hsv2 plus he used a condom.  I think you either go get tested or accept you are unlikely to have hsv2. No one here can diagnose you.
    • VVK
      Out of all the possible outcomes, this one is as good as it gets for being HSV positive. If you're not sticking around here, I hope you will provide us with an update a few months down the road to tell us how you're doing.
    • Sarahbby28
      So they can't swab without sore ? Yeh he said he doesn't but he never has been tested his been to about 10-15 prositutes I dunno if that puts him at higher risk was with Condom
    • cantdoit
      Absolutely they can.  To see if they can pick up virus. It's needs to be a PCR swab. 
    • muse93
      He didn't have a cold sore, and I've never seen him with one. We just had vaginal intercourse when this happened to me. We have had oral sex before, but I never had a reaction like after sex. We also have a long distance relationship so we have sex every 3-6 months.  My OB/GYN swabbed my vagina when I went in for the bacteria infection. 
    • Lisajd
      They would do a blood test if its likely to be 3 months from infection.  Have you asked the ex if he has hsv2
  • Featured