World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ImTakingCONTROLofME

Relatively new with HSV2 diagnosis

ImTakingCONTROLofME

I was diagnosed with HSV2 in April 2008. The sucky thing is, I was diagnosed a week after my birthday and got it the night of my birthday. Some bday present huh? I didn't deal with my diagnosis very well. I was very depressed, I lost alot of weight, and I lost track of what I wanted in life and where I wanted to go. I decided to seek counseling and since then I have come a long way. I accepted it. The fact that i live with this, it doesn't define me. I recently received a promotion. I may possibly be up for another one. I had been single for a year and a half, so getting involved with someone was a big thing for me, let alone now having to worry about telling him I have HSV2. A few months ago, a guy that I came in passing with once in a while, finally made a move and asked me out one night. We continued to date after that and I began to like him more and more. Our relationship was moving along, nothing intimate yet, but I still felt it was time to tell him about my diagnosis so he could then make the decision whether he wanted to continue this with me or not. I am very glad to say that he was and has been the best support in my life. He told me that he wasn't going to let a virus change the way he felt about me. He wasn't going anywhere and he'd be by my side no matter what. He still wants to be with me, he wants to continue our relationship. We haven't become intimate with one another yet, but he and I both are looking forward to the time when we do. All in all, this diagnosis devastated me, but I decided not to let it take control of me and my life. I am taking control of me and HSV2 is just a part of me. Now at this point in my life I am researching different diets, what food to eat, what food not to eat and which vitamins to take regularly. I am new to this site, and it'd be really nice to talk with people who are going through the same thing. Any comments would be appreciated... :)

MsLucy

Your post is a refreshing reminder that, although we can't always choose our circumstances, we need not allow ourselves to become victims of them. Welcome to the group.

lifesstillgood

Welcome and what a wonderful post. You have reminded all that life is truly what you make of it. I believe getting into therapy was the best thing you could have done. You will be just fine :D

ImTakingCONTROLofME

thank you, i appreciate the feedback :)