Constant Oral Prodrome !!!

JackSJohnson2004

Hi all,

I have had oral herpes since I was about 16. I am 25 now. My site infections are always either on my lips or on both sides of my chin. I was getting about 2-3 ob's per year (which I was fine with) until the last 6 months. I have had constant prodrome symptoms for the last 6 months on my chin, and I cannot get them to go away. It is literally driving me crazy. The symptoms never erupt into sores, because of the amount of antivirals that I am currently taking. For those that may ask, I am positive it is herpes, and I am positive it is prodrome symptoms. I have been to several doctors and dermatologists which all agree that this is the case. But they have not really helped much, except for giving me antiviral prescriptions.

I am currently taking 400mg Acyclovir, twice a day for suppressive therapy. During a really intense outbreak, I take 2gm of Valtrex, twice a day. Oral Zovirax and Denavir seem to be of no help to me. The only thing that seems to help is OTC Benzoyl Peroxide, which as you can imagine dries my skin to the point of redness. I counteract the redness with moisturizer, notably vitamin e. Also, as a supplement, I take 1000mg of Lysine twice a day, 500mg of Vitamin C twice a day, and Acidiophilus twice a day. I never eat any arginine-containing foods, and I stay out of the sun. If I do go into the sun, I wear heavy sunblock. I have tried everything that I have found on any of these boards and all online sources, and I cannot get the prodrome symptoms to cease. I have recently ordered oxy-moxy and olive leaf extract and I am going to try those soon. But that probably won't help either (yea I know I'm being very negative about it).

Has anyone experienced constant prodrome symptoms, that never erupt into actual blisters (I think they never erupt because of the antivirals)? And why can I not get the redness to go away? Even during a 2 week trial period of applying moisturizer everyday, and NO Benzoyl Peroxide, my skin still appears red.

I really need some advice, because this is ruining my life.

Boy - I'm sorry - I'm not sure what to say - how is the stress level? My sister went on a mild antidepressant to help her obs - it worked for her... and do you think the moisturizer may be irritating? Just throwin' out there...

Stress level is ok. I'm usually only stressed about this. I have been taking Xanax when I get really worked up about it, and it definitely calms me down, but doesn't seem to help my symptoms. I thought the moisturizer might be doing the irritating, which is why I have tried several different moisturizers. Thanks for the response Lasmom. Any other ideas about this constant prodome? Anyone? I need as much guidance as possible.

• 7 years later...

Jack, I know this thread is 7 years old by have you ever received an answer to your post? I am experiencing the exact same problem you have been at the moment which is ruining my life -- any information from you on how yours ended would be priceless to me. Please help!!!

Same here! I've been searching the forums for a similar and more recent thread without much luck. I've had hsv1 orally for a few years now. In the past year I've experienced more outbreaks than usual. I decided to go to the doctor and try a prescription. He gave me valacyclovir. It prevented that cold sore from worsening and healed quickly. I was excited! The next outbreak was at least 3 months later. Still totally excited...took the prescription...waited it out... shorter duration. YEAH! then a week later I started to feel the prodromal symptoms...uh oh. I was upset because I just had an ob, but I put my big girl pants on and used my topical cream took my lysine and my valacyclovir...symptoms went away for a couple hours. Then the tingling came back and a tiny little bump..used my cream and it went away...then it came back! that continued for two weeks.. Now i finally have a full blown cold sore. I'm thinking that the valacyclovir is not for me.. I want to try not taking it...but I cant let go off that initial excitement of fewer outbreaks and shorter duration...

Can you update us on your situation? I miss kissing my loved ones

Hey toomuchcoffee thanks for your comment. my case started around 4 months ago. I kind of connect it with a few panick attacks i had had before due to an emotional time i had gone through ( it was about a boy, of course, d'uuuh). around a month after that i started having a prodrome as per usual, so i just got my cream, put it on and hoped the prodrome would go away. i wiped the cream off after a few hours thinking it did but it only started tingling in another location on my lips. put the cream on again - disappeared for a while, then same story. It went on like that for around 2 or 3 weeks - i never got a proper ob just because i had the cream on at all times, but if i forgot to put it thoroughly enough, then a little bump or two would appear thats why i was 100% positive it was herpes. i freaked out and went to the doctor to get a prescription. he made me run some blood tests, including hiv, which came out negative THANK GOD, and basically didnt see anything wrong with me which could cause that to happen so he concluded that it was the constant stress that was causing this (i was still stressing about the boy at the time every single day, and getting a few panick attacks). I took valacyclovir 500mg twice a day for 5 days, but my lips would still tingle, there just was no ob. I freaked out again, and kept taking same dose for another 5 days. same story. I freaked out even more (and i suppose freaking out doesnt help with herpes, plus i was still freaking out about the boy all the time at the time because the story just wasnt a happy one from the beginning), and continued to take 500 mg valacyclovir daily just so that I wouldnt get the freaking ob. I equipped myself with loads of vit c, zinc, vit b and l-lysine but it didnt help the prodrome. so it's been 4 months of me having this shit and i had kept taking 500mg of valacyclovir daily until i went to another doctor and he put me on acyclovir 400mg x 5 times a day for 10 days saying that this might need just a bigger shot. so I'm in day 4 of this therapy but the tingling doesnt go away. sometimes it does actually erupt into little blisters, at other times the tingling is just less intense. I am desperate. this make me feel so bad and hopeless. i am also experiecing extreme anxiety daily - for this reason and the other one- which i guess only makes things worse -- but those things seem to depend on each other. in fact I do hope they do, because then i can perhaps get some anti-stress pills prescription and work on my anxiety levels also concerning the love story. But honestly, i have hardly heard about a case like mine anywhere else and I am simply, well, freaking out!!! i just dont know what is happening to my body and it's ruining my life! could you please update me on your stuation? what happened after the full ob you just had? did the tingling stop for you? how are your anxiety levels these days?

wishing you all the best!!

I am not on suppression therapy, so when my cold sore came, I took my prescription, took lysine and used my topical cream (novitra). It blistered, but never weeped. It just dried up and went away... symptoms since. (knock on wood) It's been gone for a couple days. My stress level was pretty high and worsened by the prodromal symptoms. I will update you if it happens again. I was actually happy to get the blister, that way I could monitor when it was gone. The constant prodrome just made me nervous about getting one... I was considering asking about being put on suppression therapy, but now I think I will keep my prescription the way it is and just deal with the obs (but with a shorter duration).

For the anxiety about the boy...just love yourself. Stressing over him is only adding to the problem. I know that is easier said than done. Don't jump straight to anxiety pills, try some coping strategies first. Sounds corny, but deep breathing exercises, yoga and mediation helps. Try writing down what stresses you out, and how you deal with them and think about new ways that may help. Doing something about it like writing your thoughts out may help instead of letting them run wild in your mind. I have dealt with anxiety problems in my past (and present and probably future), but try to calm yourself down using rational thoughts.

Don't forget to love yourself first! Boys will come and go, but you're stuck with yourself forever

I've had oral obs on and off for the last year, I haven't taken any meds and I treat them directly with tea tree oil. My body is going through alot of stress and I believe that is why I'm getting so many.

Hope you get some ease soon.

toomuchcoffee -- so just so I understand - you took valacyclovir when you had the symptoms which lasted for 2 weeks until you got the sore or you only used the cream until the sore came and then took the prescription? have you been free of obs since that last ob cleared?

thanks for your answer. i'm trying to give up the prescription and see what happens i am just really scared it's gonna break out all over my face or something. I am extremely anxious in general these days, and I have given up the boy already in my head, actually, but the anxiety won't let go nevertheless. that's why i have a feeling it's sort of a vicious circle. anyway, i'll let you know when things change . .. hope they will. happy new year

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Me Too

This has never happened to me before, but I've been dealing with an active virus on my lip for 2 months now. It doesn't erupt. It doesn't blister, but I feel the tingle off and on. Mostly, I "feel" the swelling. The swelling is "underneath," so you can't see it, unless you're me, obsessing in the mirror, or unless I ice it. It swells up and gives me a lopsided lip when I ice it. Stays lopsided for about an hour, too.

About a month ago a scab appeared, but it was soft and light, so it just looked like discoloration. A scab...without blistering first. Weird. Very weird. Whenever I pointed it out to someone in my trusted circle, they'd tell me it doesn't look like a scab, just discoloration, and it wasn't distracting or "noticeable." The scab took a whole month to finally start to peel away. The actual peeling process took almost a week, this week, in fact. Nevertheless, that little monster remains under my lip, as it has been these last couple of months.

Another new experience; got the flu 2 weeks ago and felt the tingles. This time, tingle was around the side of my mouth, on my face, not lips. No blisters. Little pinkish. Little swelling--again, only noticeable to the mirror-obsessed. Swelled more when iced. Got a darker shade of pink-light red with ice, too. Few days later, flakey skin. Still got the one underneath the lip, too, still swelling with ice.

Two weeks now (including the flu week), dealing with this prodrome phase on my face. Holy smokes! Two weeks of tingles and rough-feeling skin. Two weeks!

It has finally stopped tingling! Thank the gods for that! Still rough to the touch. The pink color is gone. Turns pink and swells a little with ice. Still got that almost invisible monster irritating me on the lip, too.

I don't get it. Is this ever going to heal? What is this? Geez. :argh:

Well, I believe you. That's more or less what keeps happening to me -- only I never really get real blisters because I am constantly putting the cream on. Now my whole lips are covered in this thing (the cream)! Before it wasn't erupting because I was on Valacyclovir which I am not taking anymore since the prodrome was still there and I was getting the little blisters every few days too -- kind of like you describe, swelling inside and noone except for me knew it was there. But I did and I wasn't imagining things. Why is that you never get blisters though? Do you use the cream, are you taking antivirals? What sounds strange to me is that you seem to have the prodrome but it never turns into a real ob, even though you don't mention using any acyclovir. I thought if it's tingling and you don't do anything about it, then you will get an ob. Maybe it's not herpes??

I've been using coconut oil and oil of oregano, plus icing them all the time. When I got the scab, I used Blistix on it, constantly. Icing is annoying because its hard to do anything else, but it soothes the tingling. I have a friend who prevents OBs by icing on first sign of tingling. And then she's fine. I wish mine were as easy to scare away as hers seems to be. I've had the typical outbreaks before, just not for the last two years. Now I have this symptom.

OK I understand now. So looks like you really have the same thing as me -I keep putting stuff on it when it's tingling and then it goes away - but then always comes back!! Over 4 months like this already!! Has anything particular happened in your life lately? I connect my story with a few anxiety attacks I had and the general anxiety I have developed over the past months because of a guy... but it's kind of a vicious circle because I keep stressing about the prodrome, I'm so sick of it, which possibly makes it worse. Did you go to a doctor with this? I am going to try naturopathy at the end of this month since doctors are helpless. I have been recommended a doctor who is said to be good, since she looks at body as a whole. I had also had obs before, like 2 or 3 times a year, and I have always been relatively healthy --now this. Please update on your situation when you can! All the best!

And also, before this happened , I had had this really big (for me) outbreak while in Turkey -- I was just exposed to such a load of sun and then it came -- one on each lip, but I didn't bother and kept suntanning....which resulted in it taking around a month to heal altogether. Then it healed, a month passed, and the never-ending prodrome thing came. I completely didn't connect sun and herpes at the time, so I never hid away from the sun (back then). Maybe that incident had aggravated the virus??

Two months ago I might have been fighting off a cold or flu. Everyone at my office had a bad cold or flu at the time. Two weeks ago I did catch the flu from a friend of mine that I helped care for.

The symptoms continue to abate. Everything continues to get better. I am still doing ice treatments. I actually have hope that this may go away.

PM me. Trust me, I can lend support for what you are going through. I know I could use the support from you, too.

• 1 month later...

Any updates anca?

I have a very similar symptoms, on and off for almost 4 months now. I had blister and crusted and healed but never fully healed, the skin feels like I'm just about to get a blister, but it doesn't come. In fact, I can see something whitish under the skin in one area, and other is kind of reddish and slightly itchy. So far, I've been using Lysine, Vitamin C and Zinc which seems to help it a little bit with itching. I've also used a Herpicin L lip balm when I go out in the cold and that seems to help too. But none of it has really made it go away, just made the skin look a bit better. This morning I woke up and saw more redness and tingling in the area...so it is not gone yet... I'll keep trying

• 1 year later...

I have constant prodromal sensations for the last week...

I had my first experience with the virus the last summer, my first outbreak was horrible. i got on daily antivirals and everything calmed for months. I stopped taking the daily pills about two months ago. Last sunday I started getting tingling and redness on my lips. I thought nothing of it and went about my day- most of which was spent in the sun. by the end of the day I had full-blown blister on my top lip! I was horrified and immediately used abreva (life saver) and some valtrex. that outbreak seemed under control and by day three it was healing and almost gone. all the while my bottom lip had been tingling and burning. ive been taking 1gm of valtrex daily along with abreva, topical vitamin e, lysine, vitamin c, etc.... my bottom lip is doing some funky things, random redness and swelling that comes and goes during the day, constant tingling and hotness. by now my top lip is completely fine but the bottom one is really stressing me out. it doesnt seem like its going to ob really bad, but it seems like it keeps trying... How long will this last? I hate taking antivirals but im afraid to stop them until this goes away. :(