World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
anngel

Can Cold Sores be MISDIAGNOSED?

anngel

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and I am so confused. I looked online to see symptoms of how cold sores would feel. The first time i saw bumps on my lip, I went to the doctor and she said it looks like cold sores? They don't exactly feel like them being that they don't bother me? It only feels as if I have chapped lips.

I actually had tilapia one night and my lips started to itch. I washed it, and woke up to bumps on my lip. I went to the doctor and she said it looked like I had cold sores. She told me to get abreva, which I felt like only made it worse. She also gave me some antibiotic cream, even though she said she doesn't think it would help. Putting the antibiotic cream was much more soothing than abreva was.

Its been two weeks, and my lips are pretty much back to normal, except for the fact that they are extremely chapped at the corners of my lips. and still a bit puffy around my lip line.

Could it be just an allergy with something? Or is it really cold sores?

I'm dating someone at the moment, and I am so scared about kissing him. I don't even know how I could have contracted it if NO ONE AROUND ME has it.

second, she said I can have a blood test 3months from now since the antibodies have not yet been formed, so we wouldn't really know until then.

helied2me

It is possible to misdiagnose, especially if it was only based on a visual. If you get another outbreak on your lips, try to see your doctor within 48 hours and have them swabbed for a viral culture.

If they are in fact cold sores and this is a new infection then a blood test may not yet detect the antibodies. It is possible that you have had cold sores in the past but just weren't aware of it. You could choose to have a blood test now and see what your status is. If negative, retest in 3 months.

Request the IgG Type Specific Antibody test for HSV1 and HSV2 so that you know your status with both. If you get the swab tell your doctor you want results for the type.

Someone does not have to have cold sores to be experiencing viral shedding and be contagious. If you rule out HSV then you can look for another cause. Good luck.