World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
justme53

Freshly Diagnosed and Devistated...

justme53

Alrighty, so I was diagnosed with herpes type I on my genitals today and am now literally obsessive over researching, because THIS SUCKS and I'm totally paranoid! I mean, thank God it's only the type I, but seriously... I don't wish this on my worst enemy.

Anyway, I have some questions:

1) I was given two doses of Valtrex that I took today, and will start Acyclovir tomorrow... the doc said to take 2 pills, 3 times a day for at least 5 days. Is that long enough? Should I take it longer? She gave me a permanent prescription so I can get as much as I want... just wondering if I should continue taking it even after it clears up? I DON'T want this to come back.

2) How long with it take for the sores and itching to go away? This is dreadful...

3) Is there any type of topical cream/oil, etc. that I can use to ease the pain? I know it says to keep the lesions dry to make them heal, but they hurt so damn bad!!!

4) Is there anything I can take for nausea until the infection goes away?

5) What am I supposed to clean my vaginal area with during an outbreak? Body wash stings, but is just water enough? I don't even want to touch it... so what's the best way to go about this?

6) Is there any easier, less painful way to wipe after going to the bathroom? I've been just dabbing, but even that hurts. The doctor said "dab or shine a light on it for a few minutes"... what does that mean? Is that supposed to make it dry faster or something?

I'm sooooooooooooo paranoid now and have been washing my hands religiously and bought tons of hand sanitizers to sit around the house... and now I think that every little itch I have is another herpes outbreak on my body (although really I think it's just dry skin... it is afterall only 20 degrees here in dry Illinois!). How on earth do you live with this?!?!?!?!?!? Please help... :(

lifesstillgood

Believe me when I tell you the 1st outbreak is the worst. In a few weeks this will all seem like a bad dream. I have hsv2 and my first outbreak didnt hurt. It did sting when I went to the bathroom though. My worst symptom was the flu like symptoms and aches and pains. I never wash my vaginal area with anything but water, even before I got herpes. I dont like putting any type of product down there as it could be drying or irritating. I have had hsv2 9 months now and it really hasnt been a big deal. I have had a few very mild outbreaks that consist of an annoying itch. Other then that I would never know I have it. I dont take any suppressive meds. I believe in the au natural route. You will see that the stigma of herpes is the worst part of having it. Good luck.

tiroperlaluna

Hey I am like in the exact same boat as you. I am maybe two days ahead because it's starting to clear up. This is the advice I have... hope it helps?

1. Whatever the Dr perscribed to you is right. The permanent prescription is for the future if/when you feel another outbreak coming on. At that point take the pills immediately.

2. I have had the sores almost a week. I know the Valtrex has helped stop it. Keeping it dry and clean will help.

3. As far as the pain, I'm using Cortozone 10. My doctor recommended anything that could treat diaper rash, C10 is one of them.

4. I haven't had much nausea with the meds, so I don't have anything to help you.

5. Just warm water. Some people recommend a mild soap, but I have been fine without it.

6. Yes. The peeing. The worst part of this all. To help with the pain OF peeing (which is my biggest problem) - use a diaper rash cream and goop it on the bad sores before you pee and it will cover the sores for the deed. But then gently take off the excess.

Dabbing - that's the only way to do it. Take a hug wad and line it up, then press it with your palm against the length of the area. You'll probably have to do that 3 times or so, but it's less painful than dabbing like 12 times in smaller areas.

So weird, I have some serious dry skin on my legs that I was worried was herpes. But I live in WI and know better. In general, the area below my belt is so sore from it all that I've been using the cortozone to treat my own version of diaper rash. Keeping all that dry causes irritations. Anyway, the paranoid thing is still something I'm working with. It's not bad to get in the habit of washing your hands... I no longer itch my eyes with my fingers (I use fabric)... yeah I get the paranoia thing. You'll relax after the outbreak.

Best pain/itch relief - and I'm serious - fill your bathroom sink with hot water (as hot as your skin can stand) and a small handful of Epsom salt (available anywhere they have first aid stuff). Wet a rag in that sink, lay down on the floor on your back (I know this seems weird!) and lay the hot rag over your area. It usually won't sting and if it does it will only last 1 second. The salt takes away swelling too. I 100% recommend this. I have done it like twice a day at least. Sweet pain relief.

Then I go blow dry the area with my hair dryer on low/cool setting. You may have heard all this, but I'm telling you - it works!

By the way, I'm not sure if Cortozone 10 is bad for me to use, but the Dr. recommended diaper rash stuff and this is used for that too. The thing about C10 is that it also has itch relief built in, and it cools on contact. Oh I love it. Saved me yesterday.

Darah

Relief....?

Alrighty, so I was diagnosed with herpes type I on my genitals today and am now literally obsessive over researching, because THIS SUCKS and I'm totally paranoid! I mean, thank God it's only the type I, but seriously... I don't wish this on my worst enemy.

Anyway, I have some questions:

1) I was given two doses of Valtrex that I took today, and will start Acyclovir tomorrow... the doc said to take 2 pills, 3 times a day for at least 5 days. Is that long enough? Should I take it longer? She gave me a permanent prescription so I can get as much as I want... just wondering if I should continue taking it even after it clears up? I DON'T want this to come back.

2) How long with it take for the sores and itching to go away? This is dreadful...

3) Is there any type of topical cream/oil, etc. that I can use to ease the pain? I know it says to keep the lesions dry to make them heal, but they hurt so damn bad!!!

4) Is there anything I can take for nausea until the infection goes away?

5) What am I supposed to clean my vaginal area with during an outbreak? Body wash stings, but is just water enough? I don't even want to touch it... so what's the best way to go about this?

6) Is there any easier, less painful way to wipe after going to the bathroom? I've been just dabbing, but even that hurts. The doctor said "dab or shine a light on it for a few minutes"... what does that mean? Is that supposed to make it dry faster or something?

I'm sooooooooooooo paranoid now and have been washing my hands religiously and bought tons of hand sanitizers to sit around the house... and now I think that every little itch I have is another herpes outbreak on my body (although really I think it's just dry skin... it is afterall only 20 degrees here in dry Illinois!). How on earth do you live with this?!?!?!?!?!? Please help... :(

I found using Hibiclense (what the doctors use for scrubbing prior to surgery) is the gentleless cleanser and usually kills the virus and pain. Both me and my husband wash immediately after sex with this stuff.

The first OB is the worst, and over time the OB's should diminish with a good immune system. Try adding a good vitamin regumine to your diet.

There is a really good medicine for nausea called Zofran ODT it dissolves within 1-3 minutes on your tongue. Works great!

I found after 5 days of med's my symptoms went away.

I also am seeing a therapist who also has herpes, she recommended Effexor for the "blues" I am having. Both her and her husband have herpes and she says this works miracles for them. I really don't like taking it - - my system is very sensitive and yes it is a "happy pill" but I don't want to drive and/or try to work under it's spell.

You can get through this, there are so many people who have it, it is very common. Through this forum you'll find courage and empowerment to move on past this monster and see life in a different and powerful way. You are not alone.:)

justme53

Hi, everyone. Thanks to all who have responded so far. I did call the nurse at Planned Parenthood this morning because when I woke up there were a couple more sores than what were there before I started the meds... but she said that was normal and once I got some more meds in my system they would start to subside.

But as far as putting anything directly on the sores, she said "NO! You need to keep them completely uncovered - no oils, powders, or creams at all." She said an epsom salt bath she's never heard to help, but it won't hurt either... right now my body muscles ache so bad from the flu-like symptoms that I think it may do me good.

I'm getting some of that Lysine stuff, along with a Vitamin C + Bioflavonoid and a B-Complex today... and just took some Zinc. And will be adding lots and lots of broccoli to my diet... LOL

Do you all find that you have a loss of appetite though? I've lost 4 pounds in 5 days cuz I just feel icky. I'm forcing myself to eat some healthy foods and drink my water, though.

Oh, Nurse also said if it burns to urinate, take a paper cup and cut a hole in the bottom... hold it up to you and pee through that so the pee doesn't get on the sores as easily. I also read today somewhere that if you add some lemon or lime juice to your water intake, it will balance out the acidity from the inside so your urine doesn't burn when it hits the sores.

OOoooh man I can't wait til this is over............................................

tiroperlaluna

But as far as putting anything directly on the sores, she said "NO! You need to keep them completely uncovered - no oils, powders, or creams at all." She said an epsom salt bath she's never heard to help, but it won't hurt either... right now my body muscles ache so bad from the flu-like symptoms that I think it may do me good.

Her saying "she hasn't heard that epsom salt works" makes me wonder how knowledgeable she is... That is like the number one recommendation from most sources I've seen.

That's all I have to say. Hang in there... if you have a second outbreak down the road you might consider finding a different nurse? Maybe I'm off base...

justme53

Well I don't have health insurance and going to Planned Parenthood was all I could afford. She said it wouldn't hurt anything but she had never heard anyone say that it worked for them... so she said go ahead and try it. But I do kind of agree with her on not putting anything directly on the lesions... they'll heal best if they're left alone. So I'm just wearing really lose clothing for now and it seems to be getting much better already.