World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
justme53

No sugar (right?) but what about Splenda? And... no carbs EVER?

justme53

Hello, everyone. Okay after doing my research the last four days since I've been diagnosed with genital HSV1, I've learned that to heal/control outbreaks you should not eat sugary foods (other than some fruits), as well as no artificial sweeteners because they can trigger outbreaks. But what about Splenda? It's not artificial, but it's not exactly sugar... so is it okay?

Also, after reading the list of foods that are lower in Lysine, I was so bummed! Basically NO CARBS?!?!?! :( Does this mean I can never eat pizza and pasta or a yummy cupcake again? I mean, I can and do eat healthy most of the time, but sometimes I like a little indulgence...... As long as I'm taking my Lysine supplement and my other vitamins and getting enough rest and exercise, is it okay to have carbs every now and then?

Thanks!

lifesstillgood

I would stay away from splenda like the plague. It is made from chlorine. You can have cupcakes and cake. Everything in moderation.

MsLucy

Triggers are an individual thing. To make a blanket statement that this triggers obs, or that triggers obs is erroneous. What one person's body rejects, anothers may tolerate quite well. I eat tons of sweets ( I have a wicked bad sweet tooth), but it doesn't seem to bother me. I also consume copious amounts of artificial sweetners ( I live with a diabetic), and coffee, without incident. I think maybe it has to do with what your body was accustomed to prior to getting the virus. Just a thought.

What upsets me lately is that sex seems to have become a trigger. One thing's for sure, though... I'm not giving that up! ;)

regret

i think moderation is the key,, i wouldnt say you could never have it..maybe just not as often

samallen

I'm a total sugaraholic and it hasn't caused me to have more obs. I also love pizza and bread! Everyone has different triggers though. Like people said above "everything in moderation."

As for Splenda...I'm not big on consuming artificial stuff.

svo

meh, I take my 500mg valtrax daily and go about my life. I drink like a siv, eat horrible food, and party like a rockstar...though my sex life is non-existant because I havent had the nerve I used to since I do have a conscious haha.

but yeah, havent had ANY problems. only time I have a problem is if I run out of my script and "test" it a few days. eesh. damn little virus is happy when I forget to take my pill haha

loudandlovely

i am the same way...i watch what i eat and i take lysine. but four days of holiday boozing, no valtrex, messed up sleep, dehyration and some stress have sent me into OB land.

oh well. i saw it coming.

bluefrog

svo,

Cute post. I use splenda, drink lots of vodka and eat what I want, and there is no one specific thing that triggers OBs for me. My triggers are stress and sex. So these I deal with :o)

lovingbear123

I am going to give dynamiclear a shot once I can buy the whole pack, my bf recommended it to me.

Acesheart

lovingbear, this sounds like a good plan to me. Also any sugar substitutes are never good. The real sugar in moderation is fine. Keep us posted on this product and how it's working for you. Take care, Truly Ace :)