World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
samallen

I got a Response from U. Florida

samallen

Hey guys here is an email I got from the folks at the University of Florida. I emailed them after watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71FWd42iKYw. I don't normally post this kind of stuff but I feel like this has a LOT of potential. - SamAllen

Novel Method for Preventing

Recurrence of Herpes Simplex Virus

Herpes afflicts approximately one in four women and one in five men. The blistering sores

caused by the disease are painful and are the leading cause of corneal blindness in the United States and Europe. Researchers at the University of Florida have developed a gene therapy that employs hammerhead ribozymes to inhibit herpes viral replication. When administered by a single injection after the initial infection, the therapy provides life-long inhibition of recurring outbreaks.

Potential Applications

Injectable therapeutic vaccine controls herpes virus infection

Potential for future use as preventative vaccine

Potential Advantages

Single injection provides life-long protection against recurrent outbreaks

Effective against corneal, conjunctival, and stromal cell infections, for which topical

antiviral medications cannot be used

Minimizes discomfort by preventing spread of the initial infection to other areas of

the body

Combats reactivating infections of the eye and brain, minimizing morbidity to

immunocompromised individuals and infected infants

The Technology

Existing antiviral treatments must be taken during recurring infections and only curtail the

severity and timeframe of symptoms; by contrast, the therapy at hand prevents recurrence.

The novel approach of this technology is its employment of hammerhead ribozymes, RNA

enzymes that can cleave mRNA, deactivating it and leaving it to be digested by the

intracellular degradation mechanism. These ribozymes target sequences in several genes of

the herpes virus and block viral replication. Defective forms of the herpes simplex virus

type I (HSV-1) function as vectors to deliver the ribozymes to cells capable of sustaining

infection. The technology can potentially to be used as a preventative vaccine against all

outbreaks.

Charitable donations are graciously accepted to help accelerate the development of this potentially breakthrough technology. To donate, please call Karen Pastos in the

UF College of Medicine Development Office at (352) 273-5874 or [email address removed by Admin - please do not post email addresses on the forum, thanks]

or mail your contribution to this address:

University of Florida Foundation, Inc.

ATTN: Wendy Lafferty

P.O. Box 14425

Gainesville, FL 32604

Flicken

This sounds great, but just one question that I'm a little confused about. In the whole article it sounds like this vaccine would treat every type of herpes, but in the second to last paragraph under 'The Technology' it talks about HSV-1. I'm a little confused as to whether it treats one type or all types; could you explain?

samallen

Sorry HC-support I didn't mean to post that email address.

Flicken, I have emailed them a few questions. When I get the answers I will post them here.

No Pasa Nada

What is the status of this, anyhow? Have they even hit animal trials yet?

Jesus, I want to be hopeful about these updates, but it just reminds me how much of a drag this is. It's like waiting in line at the DMV...for the rest of your life.

Ooh, but then I get to thinking about that first highway bolt without this virus.

Make the drug. Please make the drug.

HC-Support-Team
Sorry HC-support I didn't mean to post that email address.

No problem ;)

This is just a courtesy that we do to help protect people's email addresses from Spam.

Shenda

metropolitan

What I would like to know is how much money they think they need to make it happen.

Small donations (think: the most recent US election) from the world's herpes sufferers would total in the billions.

I could see somebody making a really well-designed website that facilitates easy donations to the team. Of course I would really like to know how they planned on using the money. But if people could be assured that their donation was 110% confidential, and showed up on their credit card as "ONLINE SHOPPING" or something, I could see the amount of money pumped in to be staggering.

(Of course you'd have to deal with the laugh factor of "raising money for herpes research")

SkiMan

Sam,

Thanks for getting in touch with these folks. I would definitely be willing to give $$$ to the cause but I do have a few more questions.

1) IF the University truly believes that they have actually found a way to stop OB's and the spread of HSV...then why haven't we seen more on the news? You would think they would flood the media with this and ask for funding. If there is a decent chance of this working, HSV sufferers the world over would pledge boatloads of money.

2) Would my donation be 100% used for herpes research?

3) How far along are they on the research? Do they have a timetable?

4) Would funding speed up the process?

Again, thanks Sam. God, I hope someone is getting close to a cure and/or vaccine.

bella303

All,

This morning I received a call from Karen P. (the poc on the posting for U of Fl) and she said that a fund directly for HSV research has not yet been setup. To kick start the fund, they will need to receive $2000 worth of donations either from a single source or multiple sources. The initial donation of $2000 will initiate the HSV fund for the two researchers at U of Fl and then they will setup a website to receive future donations. If anyone is interested, please let me know. If we have 2000 members, just $1.00 to $5.00 per person would help start the fund (if we believe in it).

If you are interested in helping U of Fl start a research fund, please contact me. Either we can have someone gather all pledges or I can gather all pledges - I will send you a SASE to send your pledge to me via check or money order. And then once we reach $2000, either of us can send in the pledge to U of Fl to kickstart the HSV fund. I am a real person. I have a part-time business and I work full-time. I don't need to illegally obtain extra income - I am trustworthy.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Daydream

carol716

ok, i just went to UF website and what i saw was research to help those with hsv-1 of the eye. no one would venture to say that if they help those suffering with ocular herpes that would be a step in the right direction to helping us, BUT i'm not quiet ready to throw my eggs in this basket.

curecomingverysoon

Yeah that is definitely another concern that I have with UF. Ocular herpes is just regular HSV-1 though but my personal concern lies with HSV-2.

Bella, definitely keep us updated though.

bella303

I will try to get in contact with David Bloom, the researcher at U of Fl, to ask about his HSV research. I am hoping that once the initial donation has been received and the donations start coming in for their research, they will open their research to HSV2 as well.

Please remember that HSV1 is also important as well. It has been found to cause Alzheimer's. I am also guessing that for political reasons they have opted to first tackle HSV1 in the Ocular sense. And then maybe once they get more funding, they can put their attention towards HSV2. The key is funding....

Please read the post..... http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?t=14179, as I have been posting info for U of Fl in that thread.

Have a great holiday!!

Bella303

littleone777

this is great! but what about us canadians? lol would the cure be available to us too? i wanna donate can i send money through the post office?

bella303
this is great! but what about us canadians? lol would the cure be available to us too? i wanna donate can i send money through the post office?

littleone777, you can donate via paypal, money order or check. send me a pm if you want to send money via post office.

Help us raise money for herpes research

We are raising funds to help University of Florida scientists

Donate here or find out more here

sparklingsilver

Hey all, I actually spoke with David Bloom yesterday and passed this website on to him. He sounded very excited about the research that they are doing for HSV 2 which in turn made me very excited. We didn't talk about the details much. He did say that the ocular herpes research went further then ever expected. He also mentioned that they have people who will help fund the HSV 2 research once they can get to or passed stage one. That is where we all come in. By getting the $2000 to start their website they can then generate the $200,000 needed. Thankfully the message is getting out because he said that he has been receiving alot of phone calls within the last few months concerning his HSV 2 research.

Like I have mentioned before I have started a myspace page. If you are interested in adding it to your myspace page the heading is Hidden Epidemic. It also has the link to the donation website and the You Tube video.

Sunny28

Hi,

I live in the UK and i would gladly donate, i think its a brilliant idea. If everyone only gave a £1 each or $ equivilant??

Sunny28

I live in the UK and i would donate what ever i could for a cure or SOMETHING!!! Surley we could all pull together. There must be something the scientists can come up with in this day and age.

FaithRN

Hi Sunny 28!!

Well if you look at the bottom of this post there is a link where you can donate. Thanks for your support!!! Spread the word!

Sunny28

Hi Bella,

I', from the UK and i would give what ever i could to start-kick this research. Have you heard anything??? I agree, surely there must be loads of people out there with this that would help.

Sunny28
Hey all, I actually spoke with David Bloom yesterday and passed this website on to him. He sounded very excited about the research that they are doing for HSV 2 which in turn made me very excited. We didn't talk about the details much. He did say that the ocular herpes research went further then ever expected. He also mentioned that they have people who will help fund the HSV 2 research once they can get to or passed stage one. That is where we all come in. By getting the $2000 to start their website they can then generate the $200,000 needed. Thankfully the message is getting out because he said that he has been receiving alot of phone calls within the last few months concerning his HSV 2 research.

Like I have mentioned before I have started a myspace page. If you are interested in adding it to your myspace page the heading is Hidden Epidemic. It also has the link to the donation website and the You Tube video.[is there any news on this yet?]

oneday123

We are all praying for this to happen. I know there has to be a way. It does get frustrating.

bella303
Is there any news on this research yet????

Not yet. Dr. Bloom is still working on his website, which will contain up to date information on the research. He's been pretty busy as I've been told by Karen P. - my point of contact. However, U of FL still needs funding support.

It's tough waiting it out but without proper funding then they will not be able to progress as timely as the public would like.