World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
itsover

High doses of Acyclovir better?

itsover

For my last outbreak (when I also insured) I was RXed fifty 500mg Valtrex pills. The directions said take 3 a day. I took 2 in the morning and 2 at night, treatment last approximately one week. It retreated wonderfully and did not get so much as a sign of an outbreak for four months.

November 30th I noticed a lone small raised red bump on the shaft of my penis, I had to wait 30 hours until I could get medicine. The medication I was RXed this time was generic Acyclovir 200mg x 30 (Walmart has a deal on this particular dosage at only $4) capsules to take 3x a day.

I read that Acyclovir has a low bioavailability (around 10-20%). So if I'm taking one 200mg capsule that means I'm only getting 20-40mg in my bloodstream to fight the virus. That's not very much active drug, is it?

So my question is if I take 800mg 2x a day will is that better than just three 200mg 3x a day? I figure that taking 800mg gets much more in my bloodstream... or am I wrong and only so much is absorbed?

Also, does taking mega doses such as these kill the infection and make the virus go into latency for longer periods of time?

Sincere25

Well i also got Acyclovir but 400mg tabs x 30 from Walmart at 8 dollars. Im poppin 3 in the morning and 3 at night. "More than the recommended dosage" im also hopin this bullcrap goes into latency or asymptomatic state cause ever since findin out in June 08 that I have it, I been gettin bi weekly outbreaks until the beggining of November when I started to take Acyclovir, I went a week without takin it and on thanksgiving "last thursday" had another outbreak, so I went and got another set of pills and now its clearing up. I been under a lot of stress lately and ate some peanuts.

itsover

Sorry to hear about your frequent outbreaks. I think when the virus comes out of hiding, blast it immedidately with high doses (800mg Acyclovir 2-3x a day or 1g valtrex 2x a day), and tapering down to half that after a few days. It really seems to knock the wind out of the virus (for me at least) and it completely goes away.

And if this current outbreak (small raised lesion that has not ruptured, or grown) is anything concerning the current state of my infection, it's downright pathetic compared to the outbreaks I was getting (started off as red patch size of thumbnail, entire red area filled with blisters and it gelled into one scab and then spread even more).

I believe high doses of antivirals when the whack-a-mole herpes virus comes out is the best option. Really kick the shit out of it. Seriously.

Don't listen to doctors who want you to to maintaince therapy. I think it is useless and only has the risk of making you immune to the medication, and possibly strengenthing the virus to the small amounts of ACYCLOVIR coming in.

itsover

Just to clarify, I meant the virus goes into longterm latent hiding. In my case it was four months after having tri-weekly outbreak episodes. The entire point is to weaken the virus as much as you can when it's out doing its dirty work.

Any thoughts?

itsover

Well, the outbreak has been healing and I've been taking 800mg Acyclovir 4 times a day. High dose, but better safe than sorry.

Acyclovir has such a poor bioavailabillity.

itsover

bump. Literally. I still have a bump. Why won't it go away? The outbreak has been arrested.