World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
anonymouz1

Confused

anonymouz1

I really need some serious advice right now. I am in a relationship with a wonderful guy but a part of me is afraid to tell him I have asymptomatic herpes because I think he might end the relationship. I don't want to lie to him but I am afraid to tell him the truth. I know that I don't have the herpes symptoms, but herpes is still herpess, no matter what the situation is. I don't want to make a fool of myself by hiding the truth and I don't want to hurt him but I don't want to get rejected either. What should I do?

MsLucy

Take a deep breath, swallow your fear, and tell him. But when you do, be matter-of-fact, make sure you know what the facts are, and try to present it as the medical condition it is, not the Curse of the Werewolf.

"Before we become intimate, I want to tell you about a medical condition I have..."

Not...(tears) "OMG!! I have herpes, and I just KNOW you're going to leave me!!!"

Telling him beforehand is the only right thing to do. You already know that, or you wouldn't even be asking if it would be okay not to. But your attitude about it will influence his response more than you know. Panic is contagious, but so is rationality and calmness.