World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLifeLet

He has HSV1 and i have HSV2... now what?

LivingLifeLet

I was diagnosed last Wed with type 2, and my boyfriend was diagnosed with type 1. I realize that condoms will help not give him type 2 during normal intercourse, but will it be okay for him to give me oral? Are there any other tissues we should worry about with having the two different types?

This whole situation could not be more confusing. I am assuming he has had it for a while without even knowing it, and thats how i got it. YAY me :(

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

ginnyp

If he was diagnosed with type 1 and you were diagnosed with type 2, then you did not get it from him. Type 1 does not become type 2 when it is transferred to the genitals. It becomes genital hsv1. Both types of hsv can infect the mouth and the genitals.

So if you're sure you have type 2, and he's sure he has type 1 oral, then you didn't infect each other. You already had this from a previous exposure. Was he tested for both types? Maybe he has both types. Or maybe you had the virus for a while and it didn't show up until recently. That happens all the time.

Good news for you. If he has type 1 orally and you have type 2 genital, he can still give you oral sex as there have been studies which show that nobody has ever been infected with type 2 oral when they already have type 1. Type 1 overrides type 2 in the oral region. His antibodies will take care of it. He also has some protection to getting your type 2 genitally, because his antibodies might fight it off if he becomes exposed. HIs chances of contracting are greatly diminished, although not 0% It is still possible. And people do become infected with both types.

YOu also have a chance of catching his type 1 oral from kissing. So you both could contract the other type, but you don't have to worry about getting his type 1 genitally as you already have type 2 and the studies show that the same rule applies, so you shouldn't contract type 1 genitally on top of your type 2. So it seems you can both have lots of oral sex!

Of course, that is from what I have read - I have read a LOT in the past year but you should do as much research on your own as you can.

Stay positive (in the mental sense) and have a good time.

BillieJean

Good news for you. If he has type 1 orally and you have type 2 genital, he can still give you oral sex as there have been studies which show that nobody has ever been infected with type 2 oral when they already have type 1. Type 1 overrides type 2 in the oral region. His antibodies will take care of it. He also has some protection to getting your type 2 genitally, because his antibodies might fight it off if he becomes exposed. HIs chances of contracting are greatly diminished, although not 0% It is still possible. And people do become infected with both types.

YOu also have a chance of catching his type 1 oral from kissing. So you both could contract the other type, but you don't have to worry about getting his type 1 genitally as you already have type 2 and the studies show that the same rule applies, so you shouldn't contract type 1 genitally on top of your type 2. So it seems you can both have lots of oral sex!

Of course, that is from what I have read - I have read a LOT in the past year but you should do as much research on your own as you can.

Stay positive (in the mental sense) and have a good time.

your posts on this topic (which i'm obsessed about) sound very encouraging, but i am not finding definitive statistics on this. the article on this site quotes an oral expert (can't recall the name now) as saying something to the effect that he has not convincingly seen a recurrence of oral type 2. there was more on the improbability of contracting type 2 orally on top of type 1, talk of ganglia that sounded good to me, but also in generalities.

what makes me nervous until i find more substantial literature is that i did contract type 2 genital despite the supposed 40% resistance offered by my long standing oral type 1, and perhaps as a result of 1x unprotected sex w the person who infected me (over months so i realize could have transmitted at another time but still). so what i'm saying is that even though it was kind of against the odds, i did end up here. so i am looking for more concrete data on this in particular.

if i had the study you speak of (no one ever contracting type 2 oral on top of type 1, that would be all i need). i appreciate your sharing what you have found. i will continue to search as well as i truly do not think i will be able to function sexually without this.

ginnyp

I will look for my research that said this! I promise you I read it in a study, that nobody has ever shown a type 2 oral infection on top of a type 1. And it is very improbable to get type 1 genital if you already have type 2. Actually, if you have both genital, it usually means you had type 1 first and then got type 2, and same vice versa. I will try to find where I found this info and send it. I understand you want better data. I just know I read it because I was very positive about it, I wanted my partner to get tested for type 1 because if he had it orally already he woulnd't have a problem doing his favorite thing (giving oral). he-he.

ginnyp

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/herpes_simplex_1_and_2.htm

read this link. It's from this website but I have found it on other websites as well. It touches on the subject some, but I swear i have read that nobody has ever found a case of type 2 oral on top of type 1 oral. This article mentions not getting type 1 genital on top of type 2 genital. Plus other valuable information. I'll keep looking, if I come across it I'll post it under everything else herpes. :)

BillieJean
http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/herpes_simplex_1_and_2.htm

read this link. It's from this website but I have found it on other websites as well. It touches on the subject some, but I swear i have read that nobody has ever found a case of type 2 oral on top of type 1 oral. This article mentions not getting type 1 genital on top of type 2 genital. Plus other valuable information. I'll keep looking, if I come across it I'll post it under everything else herpes. :)

yes, this is the article i was referring to. i also have found it elsewhere. thanks for your efforts!