World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
curecomingverysoon

Life Sciences Discovery Fund gives $4.7M to support new vaccine program

curecomingverysoon

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Life-Sciences-Discovery-Fund-Awards/story.aspx?guid=%7B479C4930-6A9E-4485-867B-18F4E6C9F923%7D

The bit about herpes...

The LSDF award provided critical funding to complete the first phases of three new vaccine projects and the ability to secure funding for the rest of the development process. The projects aim to:

-- Develop a herpes vaccine (a joint effort of the Hutchinson Center, IDRI and UW). Researchers will test and select the most effective vaccine formulations for phase 1 clinical trials.

Sigh. Maybe it's because of the holidays but I'm getting SO impatient. :S Hurry up with the vaccines already...

motorcyclemaintainance

Well this is fantastic news: substantial funding for new vaccine research. This is great. As is all the other HSV research going on at the moment.

With all the knowledge and new tools scientists have at their disposal to fight this virus, who knows what might emerge in the coming months. Call me outrageously optimistic, but I think 2009 will be a great year for research.

We're making strides forward every day. There are people out there doing genetic engineering in their garages, meanwhile the scientific community is really beginning to get to grips with what makes the body tick at a very low level.

Anything could happen...

goodmorning

looked up the WAVA website

http://www.wava.info/Pages/default.aspx

"The goal is to provide development resources and pathways to increase the effectiveness and reduce the time of the overall process – at a competitive cost. A particular emphasis will be on services that reduce the risks for the collaborators who take the next step of the vaccine development process."

rounding up all the potential vaccines and figuring out which one is most likely to continue onto clinical trials? sounds like a great plan. seems like a lot of clinical trials for different herpes vaccines was happening in the state of washington anyway, and then faded away.

says the project focus for the hsv2 vaccine is on adenovirus and dna. I don't think I really know what adenovirus means...

curecomingverysoon
Aye. You have to admit it is quite wonderful to have more than one star to wish upon, though, yes?

Yeah, that's a fair point. And I will probably be "back" soon. I am just so tired of being optimistic, maybe because of the holidays. The feeling that I am so tainted by this just will not go away.

I'm feeling like I should just quit being so hopeful, stop researching, go into permanent sexual hibernation and be pleasantly "surprised" approximately 5-10 years from now when a doctor mentions that there's a vaccine available that will put my HSV to bed permanently...

itscuretime

this is awesome

GREAT NEWS!

Also,

Curecomingverysoon- you have to keep the hope and faith, you have to keep posting on these forums and trying to spread the urgency on the internet or otherwise because the ball will stop rolling if people forget about the people like us that do have high hopes for what DEFINITELY COULD happen.

:)