World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Evie

Cold sores, in a relationship, some specific questions?

Evie

Hello! Some background information here...

I contracted cold sores as a child, about a decade ago. The doctor did not tell me anything about it being herpes, but gave me some topical medication that cleared it up in a few days. I've not had a recurrence since then.

My boyfriend too has contracted cold sores before, and has not had a recurrence since then either.

While I'm aware of viral shedding outside of outbreak periods, and that it occurs on up to 20% of days in a month... Does this still hold true for people who've not had a recurrence for a full decade? How often does it shed for them, if so?

Also... I've read that it's likely that the lack of a recurrence indicates that our immune systems have developed antibodies to combat the virus. Does this lessen the chances of us giving each other cold sores or genital herpes?

Dreadfully worried here, although I'm trying to be positive, especially since I only realized this year (we've been together almost two years) that cold sores = herpes = dormant virus in system. ='(

In any case, thanks for listening, and for any advice you can offer. :D

Evie

We can't edit our posts. o_O

I'd like to tack on that neither my boyfriend nor I got the cold sore from any sort of sexual activity. Hell, I'm not even sure where I got mine from, my family's not a kissing family, and I've never kissed anyone else before this boyfriend, lol!

... It does sometimes feel unfair that we did nothing wrong or slept around or anything of the sort, and still got this virus we have to live with for the rest of our lives...

NeedToKnow
While I'm aware of viral shedding outside of outbreak periods, and that it occurs on up to 20% of days in a month... Does this still hold true for people who've not had a recurrence for a full decade? How often does it shed for them, if so?

Also... I've read that it's likely that the lack of a recurrence indicates that our immune systems have developed antibodies to combat the virus. Does this lessen the chances of us giving each other cold sores or genital herpes?

They say that less frequent outbreaks means less shedding, so there is a correlation. I don't think there are any good studies about this though. I think this is one of the reasons that doctors are hesitant to test people. Because you can be positive for HSV-1 and have almost no chance of transmitting it, so they don't want to tell people and get them all freaked out.

People that get cold sores when they are young a lot of times don't get them as adults. The body builds up antibodies and I guess the dormant viruses in the nerve cells get weaker or something over time. Somehow the body controls the outbreaks over time.

But basically since you and him both have antibodies there is little risk of transmitting it to each other or causing outbreaks. But if you are curious you can get blood tested for antibodies to be sure that you both have it. I am curious what the test results are, like if they will be positive after all this time without an outbreak.