World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
honeybaby

new person

honeybaby

hi i just found out wednesday that i have herpes type 1 and 2 i am so afraid i dont know what to do i cannot eat and i cannot sleep can some one give me a soltion of what to do. i am so sared and alone and know there are millions of people with the virus. i know even some family members, co workers have the virus but just dont talk about itl i just cannot seem to relax i am afraid to touch anyone or anything afraid that the might get it if i do. i am going into a state of depression someone please tell what should i do. i feel like this is a death sentence i am suffering in slience

scared and alone

MsLucy

Okay... close your eyes and take a deep breath. Take several of them, because you need to relax. This is not going to kill you, physically or emotionally. It doesn't even require any treatment. What you're experiencing is post-diagnosis panic. We all go through it, and it will pass. I promise.

There's nothing to be afraid of, honey. It's just a virus, and although it may feel like the end of life as you know it, it isn't. It's not life altering, it won't cripple or incapacitate you, and you're not going to infect anyone else just by touching them or their things.

Herpes is contagious only by skin-to-skin contact with an active infection site. If you wash your hands thoroughly after they've been in contact with your infection area, that will kill any virus, and you can touch anything (and anyone) you like without fear of passing it on. You are not a walking contagion.

It takes a little while to get used to living with herpes. You indicated in your post that you're aware of how common it is, so you already know that you're in good company. Read up on the facts (there's a lot of reliable info on this site), and give yourself a little time to adjust. The panic will pass, and you'll come to realize that, although it can be an inconvenience at times, herpes is not the end of your world. It's just a virus that we learn to live with, the same way we learn to live with our other physical imperfections.

Try to relax. You're going to be okay.

Luv2travel

things will look up!

Ok I know what you are feeling, I felt it too…. Along with many other bad, self hating thoughts. But first you need to try and relax. Stress really does make this worse! Find something you liked to do before this, and use it to calm down! What’s done is done now you need to feel the feelings and in time life will look up! When I first found out I wanted to die…… but now I just wanna keep living my life but in a better way. The two really big things that helped me were to one see a counselor. The first one I saw judged me so I left and now I’m seeing the most understanding counselor. This helped me in so many ways! I worked through all my anger and resentment, and self distrust. Now those feelings are all gone and we focus on positive living. The second thing I did was read this book called “living and loving with herpes” by ASHA. This book really helped me get all the information and I started to look at things differently. I just want to say you are NOT alone! You took the first step by reaching out and now you can see you are not alone because everyone on here has it too! This will change your life…but you have the power to make this change for the better! Getting herpes was a self discovery process for me, and in the end I like what I have rediscovered. Maybe you will too!