World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ICanDoThis

Is this STILL my 1st OB or a new one already?

ICanDoThis

Newbie here into day 7 of this ordeal. Confused about what is going on and hoping someone out there can help.

1) Started with flu-like symptoms last Sunday night after unprotected sex all weekend long with bf who I knew was infected. I know, STUPID!

2) 3 Blisters and lots of icky discharge started to show Monday night down there. Not much pain at all, feeling pretty positive this wont be a big deal.

3) Went to doc Wednesday. Confirmed what I already knew. Started 1000mg valtrex that afternoon. 2x/day for 10 days.

4) Feeling better finally, not so flu-like; definitely more positive about all of this. Friday night applied Dynamiclear to blisters. By late Friday night started to feel achy down there.

5) The rest of the weekend (started my period too) has been hell with the pain!! No new blisters and the others are practically gone. :) But OMG, the pain. I feel like I have the flu down there. Rectum, tailbone, and everywhere else HURTS! Skin hurts. Sking itches. Sometimes it feels like bugs are crawling all over me. Today I feel like I have the flu again. Very tired.

Can anyone tell me if this is a new ob already or just a continuation of the first one?? The doc asked if I wanted anything for pain and I shrugged it off because I was having none, but now I wish I would have said yes. What can I do for this pain??? And, is the valtrex not working??? I can say that the dynamiclear was pretty amazing. So glad I at least got that.

Find myself debating on whether or not I prefer blisters to the pain. Really what I wish is that I was not so stupid thinking that if both he and I were on lysine and he was feeling ok, that nothing would happen. Couldn't have been more wrong. This fucking sucks! And like someone here said, I no longer think like the uninfected. I feel like I have lost a good, positive, fun person. She is gone, nowhere to be found now. Do others go through a grieving process after getting this?

Thank you!!

Shayna

Hi there,

It's likely you are still experiencing your primary outbreak, which are usually the worst as well as the longest lasting. I remember my tailbone aching for a long time after my first ob had healed. It will get better, it just might take a while for the virus to retreat, then you won't have all the nerve pain.

You might get some relief soaking in an epsom salts bath. Two cups epsom salt in the tub should do.

I hope you feel better soon!

ICanDoThis

Hi. Thank you for your response! It feels good to know someone is out there! Yep, today I feel just sick overall. I would LOVE to soak in a tub....I think that would help, but unfortunately I don't have running water where I live! Oh well, I will do what I can with what I have. Maybe now is a good time to book a hotel room! :) It is good to know this is still the 1st ob and that it will pass.

mayonaise
I feel like I have lost a good, positive, fun person. She is gone, nowhere to be found now. Do others go through a grieving process after getting this?

I know totally how you feel. I had a casual encounter with a girl, more of a romantic thing, but it resulted in unprotected oral sex. I asked her, straight to her face, 'are you clean?' Next week, I went to the doctor regarding odd pimples on my penis. Two tests confirmed that it was HSV-1. I felt that a part of me inside died. I've spent the last two months reminding myself of the the other things in life that make me happy, because all i can focus on is that i have herpes. With every little tingle on my foreskin or lips, a voice in my head says "I hate my life"

I've been working with a psychiatrist to help me move on, and live a more positive life, but there are always reminders of my negative feelings towards myself. In a way, I am still grieving for my loss, the part of me that died, the part that believes i can have a physical/emotional/intellectual relationship with a partner.

Sorry if this seems overdramatic, but hopefully it is a good example of the grieving process that I am currently going through.

Finder

sorry to hear about your story mayonaise,

I had what seems to be a cold sore recently... a small one, not diagnosed, but it seemed to follow the usual pattern. I might have been infected by a girl I met recently who assured me she was clean. That's why I'm interested in your story. I don't know if you are open to share your story a bit more, but I have a few questions:

1-Did you get HSV1 both on your mouth and on genitals?

2-was the girl free of any symptoms? no apparent cold sores at all?

I am very confused about the possibility to infect others with oral herpes to lips or genitals when there is absolutely no apparent cold sores or symptoms.

Thanks in advance for your help, best of luck

-Finder

regret

tey dont have to have sores present to pass it on..its called shedding period, a week before and a week after an outbreak is when you shed the most..and you can pass it on to someone else..of course th elonger you have the virus the less chances of shedding...the first 2 yrs one is contagious more so then other times... if one has oral herpes they can pass it to you in the gential area if they perform oral sex on you and visa versa... i dont know if you r on anyhting but vlatrex can help reduce the chances up to 50 % if taken everyday for suppressive therapy..along with using condoms,etc...the longer you have the virus the less you will break out..its best to refrain from having sex with anyone until you have had the virus for ayt least a year until you know what to look for,,if you feel any tingling or burning sensdation or itchiness anywhere you can assume you are contagious at that time...but its different for everone so thats why its important to live with the virus for awhile until you know what your body is telling you.. good luck

mayonaise

1-Did you get HSV1 both on your mouth and on genitals?

2-was the girl free of any symptoms? no apparent cold sores at all?

I am very confused about the possibility to infect others with oral herpes to lips or genitals when there is absolutely no apparent cold sores or symptoms.

Hey Finder,

I don't mind sharing. For your first question, I think i have it both on my mouth and genitals. When i got my second outbreak, i got tingling in both my upper lip and on my foreskin. I cant really describe it, but it just felt... not right. That tipped me off to go see the doctor, and a blood test confirmed it. My most recent outbreak, it only itched on my foreskin. I'm still at a loss as to why I only get visible outbreaks on my genitals, but not on my face.

For your second question, I didn't really inspect her face for cold sores, and I don't recall noticing anything. I probably thought it was just acne. However, she was just recovering from a cold, (which I also got...) so it is possible she could have had some shedding or a small outbreak. When I asked her later if she ever got cold sores, she replied yes, so I am assuming she knows that she gets them. I'm waiting on her to get a blood test to be certain if she has it or not.

My coldsores seem rather tame. they're really tiny on the foreskin, and could easily be mistaken for a small rash or pimples. I wish i could help you out more, but I am still kind of new to this. Regret outlined it pretty well- you should be safe as long as you don't feel any tingling. I'd say, just try and stay healthy as you can (so the virus wont crop up), and if you're performing oral sex, use protection. I'm sure they will appreciate you looking out for their health. That should help keep the chance of transmission low. My doctor keeps reminding me that 80% of the population has cold sores (real numbers may vary), so your next partner may already have it and not even know it! Also, my understanding is the chance of asymptomatic shedding (when there are no symptoms) is really low, like less than 6% a year.

Sorry to hear it happened to you also. A lot of people do not realize that cold sores can act like an std too. The girl i got it from didn't know it could be transmitted to the genitals, neither did i. When she told you she was clean, she probably did not think about the cold sores, instead focusing on anything that affects her genitals. I hope its not getting you down too much.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.