World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Bob8

4% Risk

Bob8

I was just wondering, on the right hand side where it says "telling a partner" it mentions that there is a 4% risk of girl passing it onto the guy. Which can be further reduced by 40% with the use of condoms, suppressive therapy and vitamins. Is this 40% each time or all together?? Also, what is this based on? I have no had sex and dont intend to until i get married. I've seen in another post that another percent was based on couples having sex a certain amount of times a year with one partner having HSV and one not having it. Does anyone know what it is in this case?:

Morning
I was just wondering, on the right hand side where it says "telling a partner" it mentions that there is a 4% risk of girl passing it onto the guy. Which can be further reduced by 40% with the use of condoms, suppressive therapy and vitamins. Is this 40% each time or all together?? Also, what is this based on? I have no had sex and dont intend to until i get married. I've seen in another post that another percent was based on couples having sex a certain amount of times a year with one partner having HSV and one not having it. Does anyone know what it is in this case?:

Maybe someone else can give you the clarity your are looking for about exact facts but I've found that statistics vary depending on the website, medical professional, or person you're talking to. And it isn't always clear where they got their info from. I've seen and heard anywhere from a 1% to a 10% chance of transmission when using precautions (abstaining during outbreaks and prodromal symptoms, condoms, suppressive meds). I understand this to mean that every single time you have sexual contact with a person with HSV, there is a 1% to 10% chance of transmission.

Morning

Bob8

Hey Morning,

I actually saw it on this site: http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/herpes_prevention_tips.htm

It states under "What is the chance of spreading herpes to my partner": "For a woman with HSV 2 genital herpes, the chance of spreading the virus to a man if they abstain from having sex during outbreaks is approximately 3% in a year. This is without the use of condoms or suppressive drugs which would reduce the risk even further." It further states "This is still only a very small chance which could be reduced by a further 40% or more with the use of condoms. supressive therapy or antiviral herbs."

Morning

Not sure of this website's source for that statistic. I wasn't doubting that you read that statistic, I was just sharing that I tend not to hedge my bets on an exact interpretation of any statistic. It's difficult to account for differences in people's immune systems, frequency of sexual contact, etc. So that 4% of risk could, for example, be higher for a couple having sex 5-6 vs twice a week and higher still if the non-hsv partner has a weakened immune system.

Morning

curecomingverysoon

The statistic is accurate.

The 4% stat is from a "condoms" study done by the University of Washington in 2001, I believe. The couples in the study had sex an average of twice per week... here is the link: http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/285/24/3100

Therefore 4% is also an average based on that couples study and is a fairly accurate number BUT if you read the study, you will see that the hazard ratio increased/adjusted (somewhat, not a lot) based on age of source partner, increased sex acts per week and some other variables.

Bob8

Thank you both of you for looking that up for me and taking the time to responddd. Im going to look at that link right now. Definetely will help when having to have the "talk"!!!

Aseyan

According to my doctor, Acyclovir reduces the risk of transmitting by 94%. The rest of the 6% chance of transition is pretty well covered by the condom.

Just passing that along.

--Ase

Sophie D.

Suppression: Acyclovir vs. Valtrex

Please be careful.

To my knowledge there has only been 1 study on reducing the transmission rate to an uninfected partner and that has been on Valtrex.

Ase, it would be interesting if you asked your doctor for the study on that. There probably is not one.

Some people think that if Valtrex reduces the risk, so will Acyclovir because it is a similar drug.

BUT, there have been no studies on acyclovir reducing the rate of transmission. Also, one of the reasons that Valtrex is more expensive is that it is better able to keep a constant level of the drug in the blood. Acyclovir levels go up and down. So probably not as good at protecting even if it were the exact same drug/reaction in the body.

BUT, your uninfected partner should know this info and decide this.

Please do not believe everything that doctors say.

liedto
According to my doctor, Acyclovir reduces the risk of transmitting by 94%. The rest of the 6% chance of transition is pretty well covered by the condom.

Just passing that along.

--Ase

Anitvirals only reduce the risk by about half. And I am not sure how your doctor figures that condoms are 100 percent effective and could bring a 6 percent chance down to nothing. I hope your doctor realizes that the 99.9% effectiveness of a condom is in preventing pregnancy, NOT std's. Yes they help some, but not to that degree. Does your doctor think you can just subtract the risk factors from 100%? The probabilities of failure risk of the protective measures and the original risk are all multiplied to give you the final risk of catching this. It sounds like this doctor isn't really taking the time to think about your issue, and therefore, you might want to find a different doctor

Aseyan
Anitvirals only reduce the risk by about half. And I am not sure how your doctor figures that condoms are 100 percent effective and could bring a 6 percent chance down to nothing. I hope your doctor realizes that the 99.9% effectiveness of a condom is in preventing pregnancy, NOT std's. Yes they help some, but not to that degree. Does your doctor think you can just subtract the risk factors from 100%? The probabilities of failure risk of the protective measures and the original risk are all multiplied to give you the final risk of catching this. It sounds like this doctor isn't really taking the time to think about your issue, and therefore, you might want to find a different doctor

I've read on multiple sites that Acyclovir will reduce the risk of transmission during viral shedding by 94% and my doctor confirmed that. I also confirmed that with a second doctor at another clinic. As for 100% safe, I said 'pretty well covered', meaning I'm fully aware that there is no way to completely protect against transmission.