World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Stellamala

HSV-1 only genital infection

Stellamala

I was wondering if some ppl who have tested positive for HSV-1 in the genital area could describe their symptoms & what they use for the rash?

My first attack was like somebody had burnt all the flesh from my vulva right up to my anal area with a cigarette lighter. I was getting ice-cold water soaked tissues & sticking them straight up & onto the skin. I had trouble peeing for a good 2-3weeks & couldn't have sex for 6 weeks. I had little tiny red 'spots' that came up all over my mons approximately 4 days after the vulva/anal area started becoming dry, sore, swollen & painfully itchy. After about 4-5 days, the red spots would flake off. These red spots were not open lesions - they almost looked like someone had drawn them on with a red marker! They were slightly itchy, but never painful. The only pain I experience with outbreaks is concentrated in the vulva/inner labia & perineum up to the anal area. I also have internal 'nerve' pains up my back thighs, butt & groin.

I use Amolin Cream on the rash during the height of the outbreak to relieve my symptoms. The hot burning throbbing sensation is relieved somewhat half an hour after applying it. It's essentially Baby Nappy Rash Cream, but I find it helps with being able to urinate & walk etc. It thickly coats the skin & obviously, in the absence of lesions, is moderately easy to apply if you can tolerate touching/parting the labia to slather it on.

I've also found not washing the area with soap till the outbreak has passed through it's worst stage helps. I just let the shower water run over it & gently pat it dry but leave some moisture there a bit as I find this helps. The worst part is how dry & red & burnt it feels. I also use Ural urinary alkaliser which helps to turn your urine alkaline & therefore, stings less when you pass it.

Anybody else willing to offer any advice or talk about their HSV-1 genital symptoms/applications?

anna99
I was wondering if some ppl who have tested positive for HSV-1 in the genital area could describe their symptoms & what they use for the rash?

Hi Stellamala,

My first OB with genital HSV1 has finally subsided after a month. My symptoms were slightly different from yours. In the beginning (before I was even diagnosed), my labia were bright red, hot, and really itchy. I applied ice cubes directly on it because it felt like they were on fire. Within a couple days lots of ulcerated blisters popped out all over the labia (i think i counted 12 at one point; they started small but all kind of ran into each other). My doc initially put me in Valtrex and once the swab test came back positive she switched me to Acyclovir. Lots of people on here post about finding relief in the bath; it felt ok while i was in there but i thought i was going to freak out when i got out, it made it much much worse. I tried to keep as dry as possible by using a hair dryer on cool setting on the sores, by wearing no pants around the house where I hung out like a cave dweller, and by keeping a roll of toilet paper at my side to blot, blot, blot whatever nastiness that kept oozing from those sores.

Believe it or not these symptoms were actually not as bothersome as the whole body experience: daily wicked headaches (from the acyclovir I suspect), nausea, intestinal distress, achiness, exhaustion, insomnia and a general sense of total depression and sadness. At one point i was convinced i had spread it to my eye just before leaving the country for a week of really intense work travel, lol. Looking back a month ago i would not have believed all the compassionate folks here that said it would pass. It did.

Wow, that was surreal to recount; makes me say to self you've come a long way baby. I've not heard of the Amolin cream or the Ural urinary alkaliser you mention; maybe i'll check it out for round two. For now I'm focusing on trying to stay healthy and OB free--wishing the same for the rest of us on here!

Hugs, Anna

behappy

HSV-1 or HSV-2?

When I was diagnosed 12 years ago, I was simply told I had IT. I guess I had had/have HSV-2 because I thought HSV-1 is on the mouth and HSV-2 is down below. NOT TRUE? Now, after 12 years , I'm confused...

Stellamala

Thanks heaps for your reply Anna. This site definitely has helped me & I am still only a newbie. When you're experiencing an OB, you truly feel all alone - esp when I usually tell my mother everything I am going through...Well I haven't & probably never will be able to tell her about this. It is hard emotionally I think moreso than physically. But yes, the OB's do get less severe with time *hugs* back Anna :)

BeHappy - I contracted HSV-1 on the genitals through Oral Sex with my current long-term bf (who carries the virus but does not exhibit any symptoms himself). I had a blood test done to discern the type I had & came back positive for type 1, but negative for type 2. HSV-1 is insidious - it tends to be more prevalent than type 2 & seems to not discriminate where it hits either.

Anna - I so know what you mean about having been paranoid about spreading the OB to your eyes - I was panicking about that the other week during a genital OB. Also, have seen pictures of ppl with the infection around their nose & side of face. I have acne as it is, but it freaks me out just the same to think herpes can spread like acne onto the face & around the eyes :shock:

Stellamala

Cold Sore Cream?

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but has anybody ever tried rubbing Cold Sore Cream down there during an OB? I have seriously been tempted to do so!

behappy

Thanks, Anna

Thanks! That article was very informative. From what I read and the many recurrences I had years ago, I think I have HSV-2. I'm less worried but still wondering whether or not I could have contracted H from the oral sex I had with my hubby a few days ago. Remember, I'm pretty sure he got it from me to begin with. But, from what I read, it should be harder for me to get oral H since I already have built up immunity. What do you think?

anna99
This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but has anybody ever tried rubbing Cold Sore Cream down there during an OB? I have seriously been tempted to do so!

Hi Stellamala,

It's not a stupid question at all! I think others have posted about putting the cream on genital sores. For some it feels soothing and helps with painful peeing. I tried it with Abreva but did not find relief. My sores seemed to do best when they were as DRY as possible at all times. I must have gone through three rolls of TP, lol.

I know what you mean about telling your mom. Know you are supported here and feel free to pm me any time.

BeHappy, I'm not sure about your question about getting hsv1 orally. I recommend both you and your husband get tested so that you can know for sure and then take precautionary measures based on the results.

Hugs, anna

Ultra Violet

Yep! My doctor suggested I do this at the first sign of any tingling, burning, itching or whatever. I tried it twice when I got some itching. It stung a bit but I developed no sores so I guess it worked :)

Stellamala

Thx Anna xox

I usually have to try to keep my OB a bit moist for more comfort, as the area gets so dry & I lose almost all natural vulval lubrication & have next to no discharge from any ulcers I get.

UltaViolet, I am so going to try the cream now next I have symptoms coming on lol