World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
gingerpie

unsure about cold sore

gingerpie

My boyfriend had a cold sore about two weeks ago. Today was the first time I had contact with him. He told me that this was the first time he ever had a cold sore, and I had never had one. Could someone please tell me if cold sores are contagious. I'm a little worried about being infected.:confused:

gotitsowhat

Yes.

Cold sores are contagious. About 80% of the population has had a cold sore which means that most people have this form of the herpes virus, usually hsv1. (It is possible to have hsv2 as a cold sore but that kind usually presents itself as genital herpes).

Cold sores are most easily passed during an outbreak so it might be better to not kiss during an outbreak. Assuming you don't already have hsv1 which, as i said, most of the population does.

If he gives you oral sex during an outbreak, you stand a chance of contracting hsv as genital herpes so avoid having him give you oral sex during his cold sore outbreak.

If you have ever had a cold sore, you already have hsv, probably hsv1. Only a blood test would tell for sure.

Fortunately, because it is on the lips and because it is so common, cold sores do not have the genital herpes stigma even though they are pretty much the same virus.