World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
curecomingverysoon

A Christmas Round-Up of A Couple of Treatment Programs in Development

curecomingverysoon

Not much but maybe a couple of emails sent their way could be shed some light...

Juvaris -- http://www.juvaris.com/products.html

Juvaris Products

Juvaris' proprietary technology platform is broad-based with wide ranging human and veterinary applications in the treatment and prevention of cancers as well as bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic infections. The following is a summary of the major markets with significant unmet clinical needs where Juvaris technologies are believed applicable:

Infections caused by Herpes and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) are currently treated with products with annual sales of $600 million for Herpes and $5 billion for HIV, respectively, providing a market opportunity for Juvaris immunotherapeutics. These projects will be supported by grants and/or co-development agreements.

Lumavita AG -- http://www.fiercebiotech.com/press-releases/new-biopharmaceutical-company-lumavita-ag-created-switzerland-series-financing-chf18m

Lumavita AG is focused on worldwide development and commercialization of innovative treatments for infectious diseases in women's health. The Company's product portfolio includes FemiFect® (pentamycin) a polyene macrolide with a unique spectrum of coverage for the treatment of vaginitis, and SPK-601, a first-in-class PCPLC inhibitor for the potential treatment of infections caused by Human Papilloma Virus and Herpes Simplex Virus.

motorcyclemaintainance

interesting, curecomingverysoon,

Thanks for digging this up. There's also been a small development announced today by a team researching how a virus works:

"Researchers have discovered the atomic structure of a powerful "molecular motor" that packages DNA into the head segment of some viruses during their assembly, an essential step in their ability to multiply and infect new host organisms. The researchers, from Purdue University and The Catholic University of America, also have proposed a mechanism for how the motor works..."

"Because herpes and other viruses contain similar DNA packaging motors, such findings could someday help scientists design drugs that would interfere with the function of these motors and mitigate the result of some viral infections."

http://newswire.ascribe.org/cgi-bin/behold.pl?ascribeid=20081224.090214&time=09%2032%20PST&year=2008&public=0

motorcyclemaintainance

Oh, and it looks like Lumavita AG's SPK-601 is already in Phase one trials:

http://www.lumavita.com/pipeline.html

http://www.sgag.co.uk/?p=154

http://www.atlasventure.com/newsandevents/news.cfm?id=2864

SPK-601 is a PC-PLC inhibitor aimed at treatment infections caused by the human papillomavirus and the herpes simplex virus. Discovered at the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg, Germany, SKP-601 has a "host cell-based mechanism of action," Benedict said, and is designed to work by blocking both viral DNA replication and viral gene expression through the inhibition of PC-PLC.

The drug is believed to offer three significant benefits: It produces only a mild inflammatory response, which means it might be useful in treating lesions, even when administered in late-stage disease; it prevents viral replication; and its broad-spectrum activity means that it might have potential beyond the initial indications. It's possible that SKP-601 might be useful in hepatitis C, flu (including the H5N1 strain) and HIV, Benedict said.

The product is in a Phase I trial in HPV. "We hope to have a readout of that trial by the end of 2009," he said, which likely will coincide with expected data from the Phase IIb pentamycin study."

And in case anyone was wondering what a PC-PLC inhibitor is. It's a: Selective competitive phosphatidyl choline-specific phospholipase C inhibitor.

Hope that clears it up ;)

It's the first time I've heard of this particular approach.

curecomingverysoon

Fascinating! Thank you for adding, mm. This is the sort of thread that I love, where people keep adding their knowledge and building the pool of information available! I just Lumavita an email inquiring about their trials and hopefully they will get back to me.

Maybe it's the way that I'm reading it but will this one drug work for both HPV and HSV?

Here's to a future 0% transmission possibility, everyone...