World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
DLRB

New person on the block.

DLRB

Not sure about a title but I think I needed a place to vent my feelings about this crazy disease. I find that it's not easy living with this thing. I haven't really found anything that helps very much. I guess now I will have to change my diet. I like having my cup of coffee in the morning and having a couple beers on the weekend. I'm wondering if my diet is really that screwed up? Well, I'm just needing a place to go to. Thanks.

beachday

I tried changing my diet by stopping the chocolate and drinking decaff and stopping the oatmeal. I was still getting OBs and I think it was related to my period. it took 8 months but it finally lessened and I went back to caffeine and chocolate. I do have tingling sensations and pain in my butt cheek but knock on wood, no blisters lately,.

your body needs time to adjust i guess.

Charming

I have had this since 1974. At that time they really didn't know how to treat it. It was most humiliating to say the least. I have struggled off and on for years with these outbreaks. Lately, they seem to be occurring every 2 months regardless of what I do. I recently tried the Lip Clear product. I do not take suppressive Valtrex or Zovirax. ANYWAY, I was very stressed over the holidays and I woke up the day after Christmas to yet another outbreak. I do have a prescription for Zovirax and am now taking it along with the Lysine. I know this is trial and error......very frustrating. I seem to give this way too much power over me and my self-esteem. I have had very few relationships since my divorce in 1997. AFter all these years and it still gets to me. I have recently met a guy who I like and I feel he is interested in me. I'm thinking of the conversation with much dread. Any support and suggestions would be welcomed. The herpes I have is genital. I've never had a cold sore on my mouth and my ex-husband had HSV-1. Any more news on vaccine?

gotitsowhat

My own experience

Welcome, newbies. I have had GH since about 1994 and have not found that changing my diet has helped in the least. What has helped me has been:

Ginseng capsules every day. Vitamin C in the form of powdered ester-C every day. A multivitamin every day. Lysine off and one and at the first sign of an outbreak. Dynamaclear on the outbreak at the height of the outbreak.

What has helped the most has been time. I have had fewer and fewer outbreaks over the years. I still get one or two a year, though. I also take Valtrex at the start of an outbreak and have found is shortens the length of time of the outbreak.

I did not take any meds for the first few years I had GH and I believe that may have helped me develop my own antibodies.

SkiMan

I am no doctor but I personally think diet has little or nothing to do with outbreaks. I think HEALTHY living (and eating healthy) helps you physically and mentally. If you are more healthy, your body can better fight illness and such. I think IF you are more prone to illness, then you have a harder time with H. I also think your environment has a lot to do with it. Ie. If you are a teacher or parent of young kids (sorry...but kids bring home a lot of bugs), then you are more apt to have outbreaks.

For me, I have found only one trigger: When I get sick with a cold or bug, I am more likely to have an OB.

I know everyone is different and has varying opinions on what triggers their OB's. I am just saying that I believe I could sit in the sun naked all day eating peanuts and chocolate and I would never get an OB.

Sorry for that mental image :mrgreen: