World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
starrunner7

did i get it on my genitals. when can i tell?

starrunner7

I mentioned this on another part of this forum but didnt get an answer I was looking for yet.

I had a one night stand. My first ever, and how it made me feel afterwards, my last ever.

So it went like this...

Had a cold for a week.

Blew my nose a lot.

Started getting pain inside my nose. DID NOT feel like a cold sore.

My nose got dry from all the blowing and felt inflamed.

Being that it didnt feel like a cold sore decided to play around with a girl I had met a month before.

We kissed a lot.

I went down on her.

Then I kissed afterwards.

She went down on me then. And we kissed again.

We did NOT have intercourse.

A day later it hit me that maybe I did have a cold sore. Ive had em in my nose before, but usually there is a tingly sensation (you know the feeling). But this just felt like a regular ole "you blew your nose dry and have a cold, thus the sore".

Went to doctor. She said it was a cold sore.

My questions:

What is the chance, being inside my nose (barely breaching the outside, looks more dry than anything), that I transfered to her?

What is the chance that I transfered to her and then her me when she went down on me? (i dont like them on my lips, but god i dont want em on my penis).

Are the sores on your lips just as bad and nasty looking/feeling as the ones on your genitals?

This is 4 days later. The upper tip of my penis hurts. It doesnt burn, just in pain. She used her teeth when she went down on me. Also, the next morning she rubbed me raw it felt like. (sorry for the graphic). Could this just be my penis healing due to the ruggedness of what happened?

If I do get symptons down there, how long should I expect them to happen?

Thanks!

MsLucy

If you gave her oral sex, there is a fair to good chance you may have passed it on, considering you were in the midsts of an outbreak. If you're looking for someone to say "yes, you did" or "no, you didn't", no one can do that with any kind of certainty. It's a crap shoot, really. The chances that (if you transferred it to her orally) she would have transferred it back to you genitally are incalculable. I suppose it depends a lot on whether there was a break in the skin for the virus to enter your body. Then again, even if that would have happened, it's possible you may never have a genital ob because of the antibodies you already have from having it orally.

The fact that your cold sore is barely visible doesn't mean that the infection site only encompassses that small area. From what I understand, while experiencing an oral outbreak, the virus can sometimes be carrried in your saliva. If I'm wrong about that, I hope someone will correct me. I'm not trying to freak you out, just presenting the facts as I understand them. I don't get oral obs, but my partner gets them on/in his nose, and he considers his whole face as potentially contagious when he gets on ob.

I wish I could answer all your questions to your satisfaction, but like I said, it's a crap shoot. Some people seem more susceptible than others, and there's no way to predict with any kind of accuracy which person will get it, and which person won't. You'll just have to wait and see what happens. Waiting sucks, but I don't know what else to tell you.

starrunner7

Thanks.

Do you by chance now how long to wait?

The doctor said it takes 2-3 months for the virus to take hold. But I read on her that you can see it within 1-2 weeks if you get it.

Any thoughts?

MsLucy

Generally speaking, the symptoms for someone who's been newly infected usually show within 2 to 10 days. It takes about 3 months for an accurate blood test, though, because that's how long it takes for sufficient antibodies to appear in your blood stream to give a reliable result. If you test too soon, it will render a false negative. In your case, a blood test would only reveal what you already know, though... that you have (I'm assuming) type 1. A blood test won't tell you where you have it, only that you do.

The 2 -3 month window your dr was referring to was most likely for a test, not for symptoms to appear. If the test is for you, though, she should have already known that even if you tested today, you'd get a positive reading because you already have it. Assuming that you've been tested for it in the past, another test would be redundant in your case.

starrunner7

Thanks.

So if I dont get a break out, then get tested again, they cant test for the location right?

Like I know I have HSV1 (at least thats what i think it is, its always on my lips and nose). There isnt a way to test if itll appear on your genitals unless you actually get the sore then?

If HSV2 comes back negative Im going to go back in 3 months and get it tested again to make sure this new partner didnt give me anything.

Ugh.

MsLucy

Right. If you get cold sores on your face, most likely it's type 1. So, if you got a test that came back positive for type 1, it would not indicate whether you have it only orally, or orally and genitally. If you got a genital ob, and had a culture test done, then you would know if you also have it genitally.

starrunner7

Thank you so much for your help MsLucy. I have been very stressed over this.

A couple more questions.

Is there any way to tell you have genital hsv without getting tested? I did get tested for hsv2 and am getting the results back soon, but what if that is negative.

I mean, I've had HSV1 for as long as I can remember, and I'm sure there were plenty of times were I touched the sores to put medicine on them or because they itched (earlier in life) and then mindlessly placed that same hand on my genitals.

But even if not, is there no way of knowing if I have hsv1 genitals? Do I have to wait my whole life for an outbreak before I'll know?

As said above by you, and generally speaking of course, if after 10 days or two weeks and no genital outbreaks can I assume that either: 1. Luckily, I didnt catch it from her and am fine, or 2. That I did, but my antibodies are strong enough to fight off a new infection?

Or will I be waiting my whole life just to see if I caught em or not...