World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
mayonaise

gotta ask this question

mayonaise

sorry, but i've been itching to ask- I am currently having an outbreak (sometimes it looks healthy, but other times i have little red spots), so is it best to try and avoid masturbating? I could hold off on it for another few days, but I just love to love myself.:-D

I think most people posting about it are concerned with spreading. I guess its the no brainer answer to just leave it alone until it heals. :|

Any thoughts or opinions?

MsLucy

Well... let's put it this way. It's not going to spread it any further in the immediate area than what it is now. It might irritate it, or make it sore, unless you use lots of lube. You might consider using latex gloves, just to be careful.

Having said that, I have to admit that (and I have no explanation for this), sometimes when I'm only experiencing minor symptoms (no visible ob), sex has made them go away. It works almost every time. Go figure. Maybe it's just me. Since I got it from my partner, we don't have to worry about re-infecting one another, so for anyone thinking otherwise, I'm not advocating careless behavior.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is, it's your body. You know it better than anyone. Listen to what its telling you, and do what feels right.

mayonaise

Thank you for the insight. I have not been too concerned about spreading it to my hand. I mainly don't want to make an outbreak that would have lasted a week into one that lasts several by irritating the skin and letting more of the buggers reproduce.

I am guessing that the latex gloves would just make sure that I do not spread it to my hands and elsewhere? I'm not too concerned about spreading it because (from my understanding) my antibodies will mostly prevent reinfection elsewhere. I wash my hands right afterwards, but I try to make an effort to not touch my eyes or face. hmm.. maybe that is not enough?

Sex has some interesting qualities to it. I have heard (and also experienced) that it clears up sinuses. I am sure it is great for other things too. :)