World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
gotitsowhat

I would like some feedback...

gotitsowhat

I have written a book about the problems of going to college. It is written in a fairly humorous and irreverent manner yet deals with real problems and practical solutions to the kind of problems many students encounter in college. It especially deals with the kind of problems no one ever tells you about or problems for which no one ever provides any real, practical solutions. I deal with everything from getting rid of bad roommates to study procrastination to the difficulties of picking the right major. I am considering putting something about herpes into this book. It would most likely be a paragraph or two, maybe even less than a page, but it would deal with the fact that herpes is very common, not life threatening, should not be regarded as something that will end your life, your love life or your college career and I would encourage students who suspect they have contracted hsv to go to their student health service or local public health clinic or Planned Parenthood and get some medical evaluation. I would encourage them not to be too embarrassed to get whatever help, medication or counseling they might need. I would encourage them not to feel ashamed but to feel they do have a right to any degree of privacy they feel is appropriate about this. I might even mention this website.

So...what do you think? Does this subject belong in a book for college students?

I have read a number of posts here by college students and have felt their pain; often a herpes outbreak occurs right before finals because herpes is sensitive to stress. They seem to feel devastated (as so many of us non-students have) and very alone. Nevertheless, I know that herpes is not, strictly speaking, a subject that directly relates to attending college.

If you are a college student, I would especially appreciate your response. Does this subject belong in my book? And, if so, is there anything you could have read in this kind of a book that would have been particularly helpful to you when you first realized or suspected you had herpes?

Anyone else who is not a college student is welcome to respond as well.

Thanks.

MsLucy

BB, I'm not a college student, but if you don't mind, I'd like to offer my 2 cents.

It seems to me that to mention only herpes would be a little too specific. I realize that it's a subject near and dear to all our hearts (insert sarcastic smile here), but it seems to me that if you're going to introduce herpes into the book, it should be included within a section on the importance of taking care of one's health in general. Perhaps you could include the introduction of herpes specifically, along with a brief discussion on STD's in general. Just a thought.

Ultra Violet

I think it's a great idea, and I think it's a very good idea to have a section on STD's.

gotitsowhat

I've considered that...

BB, I'm not a college student, but if you don't mind, I'd like to offer my 2 cents.

It seems to me that to mention only herpes would be a little too specific. I realize that it's a subject near and dear to all our hearts (insert sarcastic smile here), but it seems to me that if you're going to introduce herpes into the book, it should be included within a section on the importance of taking care of one's health in general. Perhaps you could include the introduction of herpes specifically, along with a brief discussion on STD's in general. Just a thought.

I do have a few words in the book about taking care of one's health. And I think the suggestion about STDs might work. But...I am trying, in this book, not to repeat a lot of stuff that students are already told a lot about. Most colleges put out pamphlets and most college students are aware of a lot of stuff about STDs so they know to get tested and screened for STDs and they know about wearing condoms. BUT herpes is not part of most STD screenings and wearing condoms doesn't always protect against it. Also, if you get a life threatening STD, the student health service, doctors and a lot of other people will take it very seriously. But when you get herpes, it tends to get ignored and trivialized by the doctor who will just diagnose it, say it's not a big deal and leave the room.

And herpes is SO common! Yet when students get it, they seem to feel so alone.

Just some thought. I don't want to repeat all of the advice students hear from teachers, parents, pamphlets that colleges hand out etc. And it seems as if those in college who get herpes feel very alone.

gotitsowhat

Oh, and....

I think I should mention that, whether I include information about STDs other than herpes or not, this would be only a very small part of the book, maybe in the section where I talk about people taking care of their health.

anna99
BUT herpes is not part of most STD screenings and wearing condoms doesn't always protect against it. Also, if you get a life threatening STD, the student health service, doctors and a lot of other people will take it very seriously. But when you get herpes, it tends to get ignored and trivialized by the doctor who will just diagnose it, say it's not a big deal and leave the room.

And herpes is SO common! Yet when students get it, they seem to feel so alone.

Hi Brainyblonde,

I'm not a college student either, but I think for these reasons alone it is really important to include a section about herpes. I think they feel so alone because they (we) feel scared and ashamed. I don't recall coldsores being included in the std teachings back in the day, either, so a word about asympomatic shedding and oral to genital transmission couldn't hurt... Just my two cents.

Good luck and thanks for asking!

anna

gotitsowhat

Thanks for feedback...

I'm not sure if I made it clear that this is NOT the kind of book that preaches or warns or tells college students what they have already been told. It's about an unconventional irreverent approach to problems that college students have that already exist. So prevention of STDs would not really be part of what I would be writing about, except in passing. I would be addressing those who have been diagnosed with herpes in the middle of a college semester (usually right before finals!) and pretty much left on their own to brood and become withdrawn and depressed. I might mention prevention in passing but the emphasis would be on what to do now that you have herpes. I remember getting my diagnosis in a one minute phone call from the doctor and then going into a quiet tailspin of depression that lasted for years. Because doctors deal with much more serious stuff, they tend to dismiss a herpes diagnosis as insignificant. I am sure a lot of college students do what I did, stop dating and socializing, feel depressed and feel very alone. I just want to give them some perspective on it and refer them to support groups like this forum.

gotitsowhat

Not to beat this subject to death but

I just completed several pages of rough draft for the book about students who worry that they might have herpes or who are diagnosed in the middle of a semester. It's way too long and I will edit it. I decided to put it in the section that deals with problems students have in their love lives. (The chapter is entitled: The College Love Affair And Why Not To Have One).

itsnotover

I'm a college student and I like your idea. I see where you're going with this, not wanting to preach and all ... but gosh, awareness is soo key to stopping the spread of herpes! Yeah, yeah - we all know about STDs and safe sex - but wait, no - we really don't! Just a thought, but you could make a suggestion about seeking information about herpes (throw in a scary statistic or something), in addition to what you should do should you suspect you have it. Love your idea though.

notamused

definitely.

I'm at university and I found out right when I had a load of work to do.

I'm getting towards the end now and pretty worried the stress will bring on an outbreak at some point.

I live in england but I know several other people who have it and are all students so its definitely a relevant subject to cover.

in terms of other stds perhaps you could cover it along with hpv? cos these 2 are the ones no one seems to realise condoms don't fully protect against!