Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daphna

Can herpes cause extreme weakness and fatigue?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I had unsafe sex in mid Sept of this year. Since late Sept I have had episodes of extreme weakness and fatigue that aren't accompanied by other flu symptoms (upper respiratory, high fever, etc). The weakness was worst when I was standing up, but I felt much better if I lay down. Any physical exertion made me feel hot and flushed. The only consistent symptoms beside the weakness is that I would get itchy-then-crusty sores around my mouth and had a throbbing gland in my neck. These often appeared just before my period, which made me think they were just an unusual pre-menstrual symptom. The episodes have lasted from 4-6 days and have basically left me bed-ridden. But there have also been lots of days in between where I found myself napping at work or feeling run down. My doctors at Kaiser have run blood tests for mono (negative) as well as kidney, liver, and thyroid function, which all came back clear. They keep telling me that weakness and fatigue are not "specific symptoms" and that I'm probably just depressed.

Starting on Dec 24th (it's now the 31st), I started having cold symptoms along with a throbbing gland in my groin. In addition to the cold symptoms, I had a painful spot on my labia. I didn't think much about it and it went away in a few days. I have had the same weakness and fatigue and was in bed for days.

Today (Dec 31) I went to see my naturopath, who I turn to when I can't get answers from my doctors. She listened carefully, asked when I'd last had unprotected sex, made a chart of my symptoms and dates, and concluded that I'm likely experiencing the first onset of a herpes outbreak. My immune system has been tremendously stressed this year from a divorce and job loss, but I know that I'm not clinically depressed and that this illness has not followed any of my normal winter cold patterns.

Almost all the herpes info I've read focuses on the blister-like sores. The ones on my mouth have not been forming visible blisters, but they are itchy and tingly for days beforehand and sort of crusty and dry after. I'm not sure about the labial sore because I didn't think to check it out. Right now I'm having a kind of generalized ache in my left groin (where the gland was throbbing a few days back) and I think I feel another labial sore coming on.

My questions are: could herpes be responsible for the extreme weakness, muscle aches, and other symptoms that I've had for the past 2.5 months?

Do mouth herpes always cause visible blisters?

Kaiser said they don't want to run blood tests since they are "non-specific." What does this mean and are there any tests that are more useful? At the rate it takes to get into see a doc there, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get a "live" lesion sample. Even if I don't get an absolute diagnosis, would you recommend starting anti-viral treatments?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Daphna,

Although everything you have been experiencing could be herpes related you won't really know for sure unless you get the appropriate test. I don't think that even your naturopath would suggest anti-virals before having a concrete diagnosis.

Kaiser is wrong when they say the tests are non-specific, while some of them are, you only need to request that they order the right test. Ask your doctor to order the IgG Type Specific Antibody test for HSV1 and HSV2, not the IgM or the combination 1/2 test.

In case you aren't aware of this, mono is caused by a herpes virus, Epstein Barr Virus, and they can test specifically for EBV antibodies, just as they test for shingles, Varicella Zoster Virus. Herpes Simplex Virus is just another sub-type that they can test for antibodies, specifically type 1 or type 2 antibodies.

Yes, you could have type 1 orally and not experience blisters, same goes for genital herpes, whether it's type 1 or 2. I hope your doctor will help you find what's causing your symptoms and not just dismiss the request for the test.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Herpes can cause fatigue, stiffness especially if you have severe outbreak.

I was having flu like symptoms and chronic fatigue and weird brain fog before I had an OB... and then during the OB. I would suggest you try taking a good multivitamin, b-complex and ATP. ATP helps the nerves. I found taking these really helped me generally... along with about 10 others supplements... lol

too much raw garlic can cause you to burn your stomach. A few days would be fine. It is Peak ATP (Adenosine). I think it is helping with the energy. I am not pushing the website I am going to list.. just it has a description.

http://www.peakatp.com/faq.php

I usually get mine from Swansonvitamins.com or vitacost.com, amazon.com.. whichever floats your boat. Sad part is it is still cheaper to buy it online than local even with shipping. swansonvitamins has the lowest shipping usually.

The b-complex, multivitamins help with any deficiencies to boost you generally. The ATP is used by athletes for more energy. Personally, I notice a difference. My boyfriend who works out 3 days a week noticed a bit of difference.

Anyway, I do use coconut oil every day and use the raw garlic on occasion. I don't like the scent I give off when I sweat though with the raw garlic if I use it more than a couple of days... lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• VVK
      With respect to the 23 million figure, I believe that was from the WHO source using 2003 data. Perhaps some of that could be HSV-1 misdiagnosed as HSV-2. Point taken. I was just reading some more on this and a more recent paper using numbers from 2012 suggests 140 million new HSV-1 infections of which 85% (or 100 million) may be genital HSV-1. I'm curious as to why they used 85%. Take a look here if interested: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0140765 If we can get a good figure of new genital HSV-1 infections per year then we could settle this for sure. But if it is between 23 and 100 million then that's a roughly 5-fold difference so could be 1-5% per annum (so between 1 in 2'000 and 1 in 10'000 per episode). I think the range sounds about right and that it's closer to 1% than it is to 5%.
    • WilsoInAus
      It looks pretty good, I will need to test the maths and thinking a little more, although I am not sure it will advance our thinking (or accuracy to the point). The main issue at the moment is that although it is suggested there are 23 million new HSV-2 infections each year, I'll wager that this includes quite a lot of HSV-1 infections already. Based on other analysis I have done, I had come up with a rough figure of 1% per annum. I think we can go through a lot more work and be tossing around ranges of 1-2% per annum. Even at 2% per annum, you are talking about 1 in 5,000 per epsiodes and of course 1 in 10,000 at 1% which I think I quoted previously. You reckon we are safe saying 1-2% per annum and between 1 in 5,000 to 1 in 10,000 per episode?
    • murmahn
      positive for 1 and 2 . But before I even got tested I took precautions of not spreading it .never shared utensils and stuff . Only used paper plastic . Had my own hygiene things
    • VVK
      Per Annum oral-to-genital HSV-1 transmission Using the following: 1. Up to 50% of new genital herpes infections are caused by HSV-1. 2. About 140 million people, aged 15-49, have genital HSV-1. 3. There are about 23.6 million new genital herpes infections by HSV-2 in people aged 15-49. 4. More than 3700 million people aged 15-49 are infected orally and/or genitally with HSV-1. 5. In 2012, there were more than 119 million new infections by HSV-1 in people aged 15-49. 6. In 2015, global population was about 7400 million, of which 2/3 (or 4933 million) are people aged 15-49.   Assuming up to 50% new genital herpes infections are caused by HSV-1, then if there were about 23.6 million new genital herpes infections per year by HSV-2 in the age group 15-49, then there was also up to 23.6 million new genital herpes infections by HSV-1. Assuming 3700 million of 4933 million people aged 15-49 are already HSV-1 positive, that leaves roughly 1233 million people aged 15-49 susceptible to acquiring an HSV-1 infection in a given year. The first estimate of yearly transmission rates (for acquiring genital HSV-1) in population aged 15-49 is then: 23.6 million new infections / 1233 million susceptible people = 1.91% There are also some instances of genital-to-genital HSV-1 transmission which could factor into the estimate to make it lower and more specific for oral-to-genital HSV-1 transmission. Let's compare: 140 million people (or 4%) in this age group have genital HSV-1 out of 3700 million that have HSV-1 by either genital or oral. Not very significant error margin worked in to make a range of 1.84-1.91%, which would be generous because genital-to-genital HSV-1 transmission is considered relatively rare. This is a conservative number because it assumes that all 1233 million individuals aged 15-49 are sexually active and receive oral sex. For example, if about a quarter of women in these age groups don't receive oral sex (a rough figure from Google searching) and if this was the case then the upper range of transmission rate would change from 1.91% to 2.19% (just in accounting for women that don't get head). Furthermore, HSV-1 is underdiagnosed so there is likely fewer than 1233 million people aged 15-49 that are HSV-1 negative. So the 1.91% upper limit of the estimate would actually be a minimum. This is a per annum transmission rate of oral-to-genital HSV-1 to HSV-1 negative individuals. The estimate doesn't tell us whether the genital HSV-1 infections were caused by contact in an asymptomatic or symptomatic setting. I would wager that most of these new genital HSV-1 infections are caused by asymptomatic contact involving shedding. I would be comfortable with applying a 7/10 multiplier to estimate asymptomatic-source oral-to-genital HSV-1 transmission to HSV-1 negative individuals. This would leave us at about 1.34%.   What do you think Wilso?       Sources: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs400/en/ http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/herpes/en/ http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/86/10/07-046128/en/ http://www.unfpa.org/world-population-dashboard http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/198/8/1098.full
    • @lw@ys
      Here's and update: PRITELIVIR IS NOT DEAD
    • Free73
      It could be an old infection and the recent sex may have triggered an outbreak/symptoms. You won't know until you get tested. Do you have any visible blisters/sores? If so go and get them swabbed asap to confirm whether it is HSV
    • Tippyty
      Found out the hard way about std testing not checking for herpes. I thought I was misdiagnosed and didn't say anything to my bf of 8 months. Until I thought I was getting a ob. I was confused because std test came back negative. So I told my bf. And now he is my ex boyfriend. My advice is u told these woman and it is up to them to get tested. I would get ur self tested and be sure
    • MistressRaina
      There's always the igg blood test,  but if it's the first time this has popped up,  it may show negative for a couple months.  Get the igg test now,  and again in 2 to 3 months,  just to be sure. I think for now,  that's the best you can do. 
    • MistressRaina
      I guess I've been doing something right then.  I'll just keep on going the way I am,  and if I have an ob, then I'll tell my Dr I'll take the meds. 
    • Free73
      For me, there is too much voodoo science around this virus. So I just try to rely on common sense, because anything else is mostly unproven BS. My take on this is that other than random outbreaks which we can't control, the virus will be a threat when the immune system or particular organs (such as the skin) receive a shock or trauma. Having a chocolate bar or a glass of wine with dinner or 50 grams of nuts or a late night out is not a shock or trauma. Having 7 glasses of wine/beer, cocaine, excessive physical exhaustion, sunburn, repeatedly poor diet, rough sex etc are all examples of 'shocks' or 'trauma' that may compromise the immune system and cause an outbreak.  
  • Featured