World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
loaded

Interesting GHSV1 Number

loaded

Hello all - first time post on any message board...ever (yeah!).

I have recently acquired GHSV1 via oral sex and I, like most here, am on a mission to get my head around this thing both from an epidemiological and biochemical perspective. Anyway, I was somewhat disheartened to find relatively little GHSV1 specific statistics out there with respect to transmission and asymptotic shedding. There is a bit - I believe I have read most of the pertinent US studies - but they really just brought up more questions than answers. So in an attempt to get just a bit more direction I culled through most of the archived posts both here and at HHP (search words 'HSV1' and 'HSV-1' only) to try and get a better idea as to how exactly people are getting infected with GHSV1. The result is not likely to be a huge surprise, but I found it a bit more comforting seeing as how infecting others is my primary concern.

1) ~92-93% (n=82) of all cases were transmitted via oral to genital.

2) Of those cases that were passed genital to genital, ~85% were passed within the first month after infection (typically before they had their primary OB diagnosed).

3) As for the remaining 15% of genital to genital transmissions, the majority seemed to have been passed around the same time as symptoms were present but it was difficult to be sure on a few of these. There was one case, however, where gen to gen transmission occurred asymptotically with condom use. I am suspect about this one (it is obviously not impossible though), but I threw it in there anyway.

4) There was very little info with respect to genital -> oral transmission.

This is, in no way, a proper scientific study (perhaps just representative of message board posters), but I thought it was interesting. I am totally guessing here, but these number might just reflect the fact that initial OBs of GHSV1 tend to be a bit more painful than those for GHSV2 and so the carries are generally more aware/cautious but......who knows.

If anyone knows of a proper study that addresses this question please let me know.

* BTW, I controlled for double posts (by this i mean the same poster on both boards) and left out anyone that was at all unsure of how infection occurred.

jericho

Wow, that is a helluva effort. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Your findings seem to concur with the general info out there that most GHSV-1 is caused by oral --> genital contact. And that GHSV-1 is most contagious to others genitally during the primary OB.

I imagine we will be learning much more about GHSV-1 over the coming years, as it is spreading relatively rapidly.