World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
whitedaisy

i dont know what to do

whitedaisy

im 16. i have a boyfriend who has genital herpes. im scared, confused, and dont know what to do. i dont even know what to say on here. im sorry.

novagirl67

Do you care about him..more than sexually? Because that is the only thing that people trip about when they think of 'herpes' isn't it?

Ultra Violet

Hi Whitedaisy

Welcome to the site! You'll find heaps of good information here and lots of support.

It would be very frightening to be so young and find out your boyfriend has herpes. It seems like you don't even know where to start, which is not uncommon when you are in shock. The best thing to do is get informed so if you decide you want to have a physical relationship with him you can both keep as safe as possible.

At the end of the day only you can decide what's best for you so get informed!

whitedaisy

I love him to death!!! weve been dating for over a year....right before we started dating he slept with this girl when he was drunk and he just recently had an outbreak...well thats what he told me anyway...idk if you can go a year without an outbreak. idk. im just scared and confused. i assured him that im NOT leaving him over this. that would just be stupid. its just that is it kinda scary.

KyraJ

have you considered just waiting to have sex... at your age what's the rush?

I know that when I was in high school I wasn't ready to deal with birth control, condoms, the gyno, etc. (All of the other things that come with being responsible enough to have sex)

To be frank you'll at some point, probably, want to move on and dating scene is much easier without herpes than with.

If you don't move on staying with this guy dispite not having sex would lay a great base for a long term relationship.

bennismama

I know at 16, sex is a very dominant issue. I would agree that if you feel comfortable waiting, I would definately do so. If you do decide to go ahead with it, realize that while condoms reduce transmission greatly, they do not prevent it entirely. Also, read up on this site about GHSV and find out how to protect yourself.

Dating in the future is possible with HSV but still much more difficult, in addition to managing HSV with perscriptions and abstinence when having an Outbreak. So take time to weigh the desicion very carefully before proceeding.

chooseyourbattles

Since you're 16, I am not entirely confident in your ability to make a well-thought out decision.

Yeah, dating with herpes is difficult. Anyone here will tell you that, otherwise they wouldn't be here. But you should also remember that it's more common than you think, and at least he is trying to protect you.

I think stigma is dying, and will continue to do so when the Simplirix vaccine comes out next year.

You should also get tested. You could have it and be asymptomatic.

I'm biased, whitedaisy, so I will tell you to go for it. But your doubts will either subside or continue, and then you will know what to do.