World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Nagasaki80

New to this, new to Virus...

Nagasaki80

Well...

This all seems strange b/c I'm 31 and never visited a forum ever!

So here's the story:

I recently was informed by a man that I was involved with for a short time (2 months) that he had experienced a rash that appeared to look herpetic to a doctor. It was in his genital region. I immediately panicked! And thought oh no! Especailly since we had alrady broken up adn have a few non-protected sexual interactions. I might want to add he was a healthy 40 yr old dentist and I trusted his response to "have you been STI tested and are okay?" He was going to proceed to get tested and suggested I do the same. It was discovered he contracted the HSV 2 virus and never shown symptoms until couple of weeks after we had split up. His 2 yr ex-girlfriend tested positive for both HSV 1 & HSV 2. I initially screen sero-negative upon the Focus Herpes Select serum Antibody screen. I wanted and tested again negative. Since I had not experienced any sypmtoms, I was prematurely relieved but concerned about the time sero-conversion varied person-to-person. The third serum screen tested positive for HSV 2 & HSV 1. I was devasted and ordered another screen, to be sent to Mayo Clinic for verification. Again, seropositive for HSV 2 & HSV 1. I cried and cried. The time for the body to create antibodies to this virus takes time and for some even up to 6 months.

It's been 5 months since my exposure and I remain asymptomatic (without symtoms). I am wondering if there are anyone else with a similar case that later, maybe years later, had experienced an outbreak. Apparently I also carried the HSV 1 cold sore virus; I'm guessing was exposed during childhood, but I have never had a cold sore either. Does that possibly indicate that I probably wont experience any genital sores/lesions either as long as my immune system isn't ever compromised? The asymptomatic shedding scare has me freaked out to the point I stopped dating. I am a very social person and have have many dates. I have never had an STI or any problem other than a mild yeast infection. I have so many mixed thoughts because this virus behaves so differently in people. If anyone has any comments or thoughts, please drop a line or two. Thanks

Nagasaki80

typos...

So sorry about my typos. I didn't proof-read the thread before I sent it. Hope it is still understandable.

Shayna

Hi there amused77,

I fall under the catagory of not experiencing an outbreak for a long time after being exposed.

I had been broken up with the person who infected me for over 7 months and had never experienced an outbreak. Then I was on prolonged (strong) antibiotics while on vacation in Mexico and BAM, I had my first outbreak.

My symptoms were strange. I had extreme pain at my tailbone, but I shrugged it off and flung a pillow beneath me when I sat down. The only other symptom I had was what I thought was a mosquito bite on my butt cheek.

I still believe I may have never experienced an ob had I not been on the powerful antibiotics (that make you sun-sensitive) and being in full tropical sun for two weeks.

I've had hsv now going on two years (I've lost track) and have only had 2 ob's.

So, there is a chance you may never experience an outbreak, or that they are so mild you don't even notice.

Good Luck ;)

Nagasaki80

More about this HSV 2 virus...

Thanks for your reply. I can't help but begin to wonder what makes this virus behave so differently person to person. Just our different genetics and Immune system? Could there be subtypes of the two strains (HSV 1 & HSV 2) we don't know about. Could a person really be unaware that they have a virus so long after being involved with someone for two years both unknowingly aware they were infected and all of a sudden experience mild sypmytoms just two weeks after a split-up with the next girl who he had dated (me), like in my case with the dentist I dated two months and waited a month to be on birth control before we were intimate having intercourse on four occasions? I sometimes feel he knew, that he was in denial and didn't admit to himself then found me, a much younger (9 years) attractive smart lady...and just couldn't bring himself to tell me?? All these question I have inside my head, make sleep hard to come by. It's more of the behavior I witness from him and his initial hesitation to get involved. It's the reaction after he admitted his 'genital rash', that gets me thinking...He started claiming he loved me and that we were destined to be together and encouraged us to have sex just a day after the 'talk'. I mean how strange. How awful if true.

SkiMan
Thanks for your reply. I can't help but begin to wonder what makes this virus behave so differently person to person. Just our different genetics and Immune system? Could there be subtypes of the two strains (HSV 1 & HSV 2) we don't know about. Could a person really be unaware that they have a virus so long after being involved with someone for two years both unknowingly aware they were infected and all of a sudden experience mild sypmytoms just two weeks after a split-up with the next girl who he had dated (me), like in my case with the dentist I dated two months and waited a month to be on birth control before we were intimate having intercourse on four occasions? I sometimes feel he knew, that he was in denial and didn't admit to himself then found me, a much younger (9 years) attractive smart lady...and just couldn't bring himself to tell me?? All these question I have inside my head, make sleep hard to come by. It's more of the behavior I witness from him and his initial hesitation to get involved. It's the reaction after he admitted his 'genital rash', that gets me thinking...He started claiming he loved me and that we were destined to be together and encouraged us to have sex just a day after the 'talk'. I mean how strange. How awful if true.

I know how you feel. I have tried to forgive but I doubt I will ever forget. I think there will always be a voice inside my head that says, "she knew she had it, Dude."

You will be fine. You will meet someone great and this little skin irritation won't mean shit.

curecomingverysoon

I have had a hard time dealing with this one as well.

But 90% of people have no idea that they're infected. It's not part of most STD panels and doctors are totally ignorant. That is a huge part of the reason for the spread. Who thinks that a small rash or a couple of bumps or a bit of itchiness is an outbreak if you don't you're infected?

SkiMan and amused77, I very much doubt that your infectors knew that they had it. We all need to let this one go.

tracyp

hi

hi your story actually helped me out alot. I am also new to this. I just found i was infected this past friday. I think ive had it for at least 3 months. The only reason why i got tested was cause i was sleeping with a new partner.

My partners are now being tested. The reason of why u helped me is cause u took 3 tests to finally figure out u were positive. And thats what i figured would happen. It can take up to 3 to 6 months to find out if u have the herpes virus or the antibodies! When my partner went and tested yesterday they wouldnt test him. They thought it could be a false positive! I think it would just show up as a negative period! Thanks cause u saved me. I need to tell my partners to keep testing up to 6 months later.