World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
julie38

suppressive therapy?

julie38

hi, i'm 19 and was diagnosed with genital herpes 2 weeks ago. I have a doctors appointment on friday where i plan to ask if he will put me on suppressive treatment as i feel this will help me alot to get over the initial shock and upset i'm feeling and be able to cope with life abit better till i come to terms with it. Do you think he would prescribe it to me or do i have to be having frequent outbreaks for him to put me on it?

starrunner7

I can only tell you what the doctor at my clinic told me.

I have HSV1, but only cold sores. Recently I think I might of spread HSV1 to my genitals. She told me, although the cold sore was right on my lip, that she wont prescribe me anything until I have a break out down there. She said cold sores in general arent STD's so I could get my general practioner to get me some suppressive stuff, but she cant until if and when I get an ob down there.

MsLucy

Most drs are only too willing to give a prescription for meds for GHSV 2. Mine literally forced the prescription into my hand, even though I told him I didn't want them. A year later, I threw the unused prescription away. I still have the free 30 day supply of Valtrex samples he gave me. That was 2 years ago. From what I've read on other peoples' posts, you're not going to have any problem getting meds from your dr.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @sheikha and welcome to the website. Different tests around the world have different numbers as to what means positive.  Do you have details of what test was performed? Does the paperwork indicate what number means positive? For some tests it’s 1.1, others 11 and some more than 20!
    • Mikeike3
      What symptoms brought you to test in the first place 
    • Mikeike3
      Over 3.3 is a strong positive. You could repeat that test. I'd assume I had it. 
    • Kev003
      Lysine seemed to dry the blisters during outbreaks.  They would take about the same time to heal but there would be no/less fluid while using lysine.  At first it seemed like it was reducing the amount of outbreaks, but after a couple months they were coming just as often as before - if not more often.  
    • sheikha
      Just been diagnosed but no symptoms beyond a tingling in my uretha opening. Result via IgG was <3.5 herpes 1 and >3.3 herpes 2..(what does that even mean in terms of advancemen). 4 Drs later - told can be a false positive and another - its a true reading. So im still in the dark. 17 days after first tingle still nothing beyond the tingling. freaking out as not young....my new partner of 7 months has been unfaithful. If i have i’m pretty certain he was aware, came back from overseas acting weird.  Previous partner was 33 years monogamous relationship.  Disclosure- what am I disclosing? Do I or dont I have it.  I wanted to do a PCR but no area to swab!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.