World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
beatrixy

unexpected but we can deal

beatrixy

hey all,

i'm just waiting for my results and periodically checking on my infection. when i went in to the doctor he said it wasn't very conclusive, might be yeast infection or trauma from sex... but 6 very expensive antiretrovirals later it's looking like a textbook case :( there goes my hope/denial!

but you know what? after having read a bunch of stuff online (most useful was the herpes handbook http://www.westoverheights.com/genital_herpes/handbook.html ) i don't feel so bad and neither should you.

lots of people have herpes. yeah it sucks. yeah it burns like a bitch. yeah it's never going to go away and so-not-worth the sex that it resulted from. but you know what? it could be a lot worse. at least i'm going to live a full and happy life, i can have healthy kids, and it's prob not going to increase my chances of cancer, etc. apparently 45million americans out there are going/have gone through exactly what i'm going through...

it will be okay. i will deal.

initially i was really in denial and pretty scared. a couple of weeks ago i remember saying "the one thing i really don't want to get is herpes" big irony! but really the stigma is worse than the thing itself. and at least i can do something about that!

...if only i could do something about those expensive pills though...

curecomingverysoon

Excellent outlook!

"antiretrovirals" - do you mean antivirals? As in Valtrex?

Are you in Canada? You can purchase generic Valtrex there. Much cheaper than the brand name. It will also probably get cheaper starting in June.

And it's strongly thought that the Canadian numbers are comparable to the US numbers - 1 in 5, so approximately 6 million people!

I really think that Canada is the place that the stigma needs to die off first -- it's just a stupid little virus that happens to live in the nerves above your genitals and express itself there. It certainly doesn't make anyone a bad person or unworthy so why should it make someone the butt of jokes? Just stupid, really.

beatrixy

:) yeah i agree. the stigma is too much! if it hurts for me to walk, pee, sit, everything what business is it of others? and isn't it bad enough already without the fact that i can't tell people why i'm upset/distracted/anxious...

i think the fidelity thing is prob why everyone gets all upset. but the fact is that it doesn't mean that you're not being loyal...

and my medication btw is for some type of valacyclovir i don't know if it's valtrex or the generic. i don't have it on me to check. but it was CAN$95 for 24 500mg pills. to me that's very expensive. is that about the price of the generic? because i'm very upset to hear that people are spending more than that for their meds :(

curecomingverysoon

I don't know about the fidelity thing... you'd be surprised how infrequently that comes up in these things. It's more that everyone seems to feel "unclean" and socially alienated now that they're not fitting into sexual norms anymore.

Well, in the US you can may up to $300 for a month's supply of Valtrex so $94 isn't too bad but it should be better, I think, and will be soon. I'm not living in Canada now but $94 sounds closer to the generic price but that will be going further down soon. But yep, we need more advocates in order to normalize herpes but also advocate better treatment of it: welcome to the fight!