World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Luckiest

Hey

Luckiest

Hey, I am a 25yr old female, just been diagnosed and am currently in a lot of pain! Reading through the forums has brought some comfort as it seems my reactions over the last few days (LOTS of tears, doubting myself, feeling dirty) are pretty 'normal' so to speak. I also am amazed at how common this is. Considering I class myself as someone who is pretty clued up medically, sexually I had no idea just how widespead this virus is.

One thing which is really bothering me however; and I'm hoping someone can provide some insight here, is transmission. I have been with my current partner for just over a year now. Before him I was in a three year relationship, and I slept with noone in between. My current partner has suffered with cold sores but not since we have been together; and has never suffered from genital herpes. So I have developed this condition a few days ago but have absolutely no idea how. Luckily for me (and the reasoning behind my username!) he is 100% with me, knows I have not strayed etc (although the very fact we had to even discuss it has pained me so much).

I did have a Whitlow on my finger in September, although that was treated with anti-biotics leading me to believe it wasn't the herpes virus? If anyone is able to offer any suggestions on how this may have been transmitted to me I'd be very grateful.

Secondly, as I said I am in a lot of pain right now. Sitting down is nigh on impossible, going to the loo, showering - agong. On top of that I feel drained, lethargic and emotionally screwed up. I'm currently off work ill (this was granted before I got the positive test results back) so my work know I have some kind of 'infection' but not what it is. I am also a part time student and have work due in on onday which I should have been doing over the last week. I am going to need some kind of doctors note for both. Firstly - how are doctors when it comes to providing doctors note for this reason? And secondly, if they would provide one will it state exactly what I have or can it just state 'viral disease' or similar?

Sorry for the thousands of questions, I'm just desperately trying to get to the bottom of all this. I'm going to get the anti-viral medication from the hospital tonight (they called me earlier with test results), and can ask questios ect there. If anyone can recommend any other useful things to ask - again: eternally grateful.

Much thanks. X

lioness

hi luckiest! Welcome to the forum.

It is possible that you could have gotten the virus through oral sex if he has had cold sores. That's how I got mine. Sometimes it's hard to talk to your partner about having herpes but it sounds like you're being pretty upfront about it to him and that you trust each other so that is great.

I am on my first OB as well but I am beginning to recover. I have been staying at home all week as well and have had many of the same concerns as you have had. At least where I'm from, the doctor will write a note to anyone (work, school) as long as you truely can't make it to where you need to go. You can request that he or she just writes "infection" and leaves out the details.

I understand all the pain you are in. I promise it goes away soon enough. You can browse this site for many tips on how to cope with bad outbreaks. The antivirals they give you should help, too.