World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Luckiest

Telling Friends

Luckiest

I have been diagnosed (genital) today, and am gobsmacked at how common this virus is. Considering it is such a stigmatised condition, by laws of averages I must know a number of people who suffer/carry the virus.

One thing that has been btohering me is: 'Should I tell my friends?'. Obviously I have no need to, and it could be pretty damn embarressing. However perhaps if people were more open about this then it wouldn't be such a stigma. If I had a cold sore or shingles (and I've had both), I wouldn't think twice about telling people what it was - so why so different with genital?

Has anyone ever told their friend group about their condition? How did it go down?

loudandlovely

i have!

all of my friends know...hell, even most of my acquaintances know.

i got HSV when i was in college, so my friends were there for me as i went through the process of getting diagnosed and dealing with it. they have learned with me about the disease. i am the only one in my close circle that has it, but each one of my close friends knows someone else with it. and they have their own demons- HPV, chlamydia...the list goes on.

at first i told them for support but the rapport about it has continued for the very reason you mention in your post: "However perhaps if people were more open about this then it wouldn't be such a stigma." through walking with me as i go through outbreaks and "having the talk" and watching my relationships we have been able to break down the stigma. we are all single girls in our 20s. my situation could have happened or could still happen to any of them. i can't imagine them not knowing. it is nice to be able to be open about it. to have a good laugh about it. to celebrate together when my special someone tells me they are okay with my situation. or to have a shoulder to cry on or someone to complain to about the pain and discomfort. my guy friends have also been incredibly supportive and willing to be educated on the subject. it is refreshing to know that perhaps one day one of my friends will be on the receiving end of "the talk" and will all ready have the information they need to make their own decisions.

good luck!!

chooseyourbattles

I told a lot of my friends too. Most of them were accepting; none of them were surprised. I'm hoping that I can humanize the condition for them, so there might be just a little less stigma in the world.

GladToBeAlive

only one

I've only told my best friend, and didn't care at all! I was so scared and crying because I kept it from her and everyone for a year and a half, and she made it seem like nothing, like, why didn't you tell me?! I'd suggest telling someone, it makes you feel so much better and more human, they or at least she, played it down for me. Good people don't care :)

English Rose

Ive told all of my close friends, both my sisters, my mum and her partner and my dad. And believe it or not none of them were bothered by it, if anything they just asked lots of questions and i have eduacted all of them. The beauty of it is they all know me so therefore know that i havent got this because im "dirty" or that i sleep around. The way i see it is that i have nothing to be ashamed of and it really could happen to anyone. Maybe one day in the future we could maybe look forward to a world with a lot less stigma attached to HSV. Obviously i am alot more nervous about telling future partners but feel that i wont be telling someone unless i feel that im almost certain that they wont run a mile. But as ive read over and over on this site, ANYONE who disses you because of this is not worth your time anyway.