Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sunshineinuri

Acyclovir 5 times a day?

6 posts in this topic

My Dr. prescribed me acyclovir 800MG to take 5 times a day. Is this the same for anyone else? Im not on supressive treatment just for when I have an outbreak. Can I be prescribed a higher dose so that I dont have to take so many pills in one day?

My Dr. prescribed me acyclovir 800MG to take 5 times a day. Is this the same for anyone else? Im not on supressive treatment just for when I have an outbreak. Can I be prescribed a higher dose so that I dont have to take so many pills in one day?

Im on suppressive therapy, Valtrex, 500mg x2 times daily for a totaly of 1000mg's daily.

I also did one week (before the suppressive therapy) on Valtrex taking two pills, three times daily for a total of six pills daily. The dose per day that time was 3000 mg's.

Sounds like you are way above the dose normally prescribed for HSV. Usually, the dosage is 200-400mg 5 times a day.

I'm not saying the doctor is overdosing you, sometimes they prescribe the amount you're getting for shingles.

Hello sunshine,

If you are only treating your outbreaks as they come...this is what you should do. I received this info from a nurse who actually has had herpes for over 20 years. I've copied and pasted it just as she typed it:

If you don't have insurance and are just wanting to treat each ob as they happen - go for walmart's $4 deal. Your doc still has to write you a prescription but they give you 30 200mg tablets for $4. Instead of taking 200mg 5x/day ( the way they have to write the prescription to get the deal ) - take 2 pills at a time 3x/day for 5 days ( 400mg 3x/day ) or take 4 pills at a time 3x/day for 2 days ( 800mg 3x/day ). Easier dosing than taking a pill every 3 hours awhile awake!

If you got a bad outbreak, then yea. Acyclovir needs to be taken alot sometimes. Kill that son of a bitch virus dead.

pregnancy and high dose daily acyclovir for reccurrent obs

What are the side effects if my docter prescribes acyclovir 800mg 5times a day to suppressive my vaginal shingles. would this high dose harm my growing fetus. have you heard anything about high dose acyclovir during pregnancy. please help. they are so frequent and painful. every 2-3 days and may last up to 17days. i also dont wanna harm my baby. thanx

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Oddone
      @VVK @WilsoInAus @Seeker1960 @LillianPanos @cantdoit Now I'm having a major outbreak of some type of red dots/bumps that are a bit itchy all over my back.  Some are starting to rap around under my arms. This started a couple of days after I stopped taking Docycline 100mg oral for what the infectious disease doctor thought was staph folliculitis on my butt.  Anyone have any idea what might be causing these red bumps to appear all over my back?  It's almost like some type of shingles. http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/oddity11/media/Rash Back 8-25-16_zps4liyhnts.jpg.html?filters[user]=145393014&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
    • gonnakillher
      Just want to get an idea of how long I can expect to have these initial symptoms... low back, leg, heel pains neuropathy "shocks" all over, especially legs Moderate aches in joints shooting pains in penis stinging pains at base of shaft/lower pubic region Goin on 5 months now with maybe a couple weeks pain free but mainly constant. Day only. Starts shortly after waking. No open sores. Several other symptoms that have subsided except for these listed. And they're the most painful.  Thx
    • wranglers
      Thank you for your reply
    • gonnakillher
      Blood test is too early. 6 months is best. Many will tell you 12-16 weeks but why risk being in that small percentage of people who take longer?  If he was hsv2 positive it is very unlikely that he gave it to you through oral, especially a single encounter. And stress can definitely induce all kinds of symptoms.
    • LillianPanos
      Hey all its good to vent both ways. thank you all for sharing!
    • wranglers
      I am not sure if I have the hsv2.  I did have sex with someone who is positive we used a latex condom but only before intercourse. Oral we did not use latex. That was 10 days ago. Did I have the blood test to early? I am having a little burning no headaches no itching. I sometimes think it is in my mind that I am feeling the burning. Had the blood test done today may get results tomorrow. I have been stressing over this and have not talked to anyone. I just want to know so I can either stop stressing or learn how I am going to deal with a positive hsv2. I would like any kind of feed back. Thank you!
    • dsharon
      Hi  - Read your post and the part about sciatica caught my attention as I am experiencing sciata along with some back pain, I've had neither for many years. So I was diagnosed with HSV2 last December, the OB symptoms were kind of mild - I felt tired, burning tingling in genitals but only 2 small blisters. Have had some mild buring and tingling a few times but only lasted a few days. Now I contracted poison ivy last week and I have  more intense HSV symptoms - more intense buring and tingling along with the appearance of 4 small blisters on my upper thigh. I do believe the poison ivy has strained my immune system sufficiently to cause HSV to act up. I though the sciatic and back pain were related to golf hiking and biking throughout the summer - but now I'm starting to wonder if it's all linked to my HSV. Your thoughts ?      
    • OhFuckMyDickHurts
      Go beyond the abstract,  JVI Accepted Manuscript Posted Online 22 June 2016    What are they doing and why? 344 Studies of the mechanisms silencing viral lytic gene
      345 expression will require in vivo animal models, in which it is difficult or impossible to
      346 perform techniques such as transfections or knockdowns. The primary aim of the
      347 experiments described here was to develop a method of performing these experiments
      348 in vivo. Limitations:   The self-complementary (scAAV) genomes they generated cut in half the transgene carrying capacity of the vectors from 4.5 kb. This study is about developing a means to delivery GFP genes, or some ORF for small RNA so as to study a latent infection. (Lines 84-87) .  Note I recall Duke already said 4.5 kb limited them. This study needed to go even smaller.  Basically all they can do right now is just send in GFP genes. Next step? 377       Further
      378 studies using AAV to deliver shRNA or to express other gene products such as
      379 signaling pathway agonists or chromatin modifiers will allow us to test this methodology
      380 in the relevant in vivo models, targeting genes or proteins in neurons that are co- 381 localized with the AAV vector, rather than globally inhibiting or up-regulating gene
      382 expression. Ugh,  Further line 349-350 "Results of IHC experiments demonstrate that, AAV vectors transduce DRG sensory neurons".  The vectors don't go everywhere HSV replicates (nerve fibers, neighboring cells, glial cells, motor neurons, etc.) Albeit AVV8 did not have a neural preference to only sensory neurons.  Bottom line this stuff is in its infancy. Other gene editing? The Chinese have already used HSV1 as a vector for HSV2 shRNA and showed half of the infected guinea pigs had no detectable HSV2 in their DRG after 100 days. Otherwise there was a significant reduction in the number of days with recurrent disease... if there is a cure they are a lot closer. LINK . Note using HSV1 as a vector it can fit 150 kbp rather than 2.2-4.5 of AVV's. Its obviously a better choice to use to go after current HSV-2 infection. 
    • gonnakillher
      No, this is. 
    • SomethingsUp
      Thank you @gonnakillher for standing up for me when I didn't stand up for myself. I regretted not saying more, I just apologized on the spot because I don't like to make people feel bad.   But blaming victims of the stigma - whether diagnosed yet or not - for the stigma, is ridiculous. Especially me, who knowingly engaged in sex with a woman who told me she had HSV-2. I read a lot about it, learned how common and under diagnosed it is, and how low risk a single protected exposure is, or even several of them. And even if I miraculously don't have it - if I found another woman with this virus, at this stage in my life, I'd give her a chance, too - I'd likely just wait longer to engage.   Because I'm terrified of the potential stigma does not make me a bad person, neither does discussing it online. Where else can I talk about how I feel? With friends that think I'm crazy for not believing 14 week test results? If I have to worry about expressing my feelings here, in a discussion I started, you really have diminished the value of this forum for me.   Even joining the dating site had tremendous value to me on a particularly depressing Tuesday evening. Just knowing that if these textbook phn pains are in fact phn, there are women just like me out there.   i haven't read the success stories but I'll check them out. I have read stories of people like us who don't test positive and eventually learn that they are in fact negative. It's possible. If it were up to @Free73 Id only hold out hope for that sort of outcome - not letting myself contemplate and brace for the other outcome. Silly.    
  • Featured