What does Jesus think?

Needsacuppa

I was brought up in a Christian family and have a very real faith in God. However, I decided recently that my own way was a better way, and although I had promised not to have sex before marriage, a month ago I slept with my boyfriend for the first time. Now I have genital herpes.

I am angry with God, but then I remember that I wasn't meant to be sleeping with people before marriage anyway.

I wonder what He thinks of me, I can't even look at Him right now. I also keep thinking that no Christian man will ever want me :(

Gutted.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redyellowpurpleblue

• Livingwithit09

• MsLucy

• RealisticGal

You cannot blame God for what happend. Also, you cannot get too down upon yourself for it either. Were you in love with your boyfriend? Does he feel the same way? Are you still together? Unlike you I did not get HSV from someone I cared about, I got it from someone I didn't know (so much that I don't even know who). I know that the church teaches us not to have sex before marriage, and as much as I want to follow the word I know it is not practical for me or for most people in today's society. When the Bible was written, people got married to the first person they felt any kind of attraction to, probably when they were like fifteen years old. In today's world, I think a stable long term relationship is the equivalent of marriage in those days. The problem is not with sex before marriage, the problem is sex with any stranger that smiles at you as long as you are drunk enough. Are STD's in existence because of the way society is today? In order to punish people for their promisquity? Probably. Unfortunately you really got screwed for the mistakes of others. I truly don't belive God gave you herpes to punish you for having sex before marriage. I think you were just an unintended victim of God's wrath that was meant for people like me (and probably your boyfriend). Although the Bible teaches to wait unitil marriage just the fact that you waited to be with someone you care about makes you stronger than 90 percent of people out there. Jesus knows that your faith is as strong as ever and that's all that matters. As for your other question, a TRUE Christian man will not judge you for the mistakes of your past, so like the other guy said, I wouldn't worry about it.

... I am angry with God, but then I remember that I wasn't meant to be sleeping with people before marriage anyway.

I wonder what He thinks of me, I can't even look at Him right now. I also keep thinking that no Christian man will ever want me :(

Gutted.

God doesn't "give us" herpes, or anything else bad for that matter. He gives us choices and the consequences that go with them. When we make the wrong decisions, we can't blame him for the consequences that we brought on ourselves. We are all responsible for our own actions.

If you read the Bible, you'll realize that it wasn't the pure, the innocent, or the "holier-than-thou-always-do-what's-right" people that Jesus chose to hang out with. Why should he? They didn't need him. He spent his best time in the trenches, with the whores, the thieves, and the lost souls who society had turned their backs on. THOSE were the people he tried to reach, the ones he welcomed into his arms and forgave, and gave hope to. He sought out the sinners because he had a purpose... to offer them a better way, and to give them a new chance at life.

You think you let him down? No, you didn't. You only showed him that you're human, and as such, more in need of him than maybe even you thought you were. He knows that we were not made perfect, so to try to be perfect, or to think of ourselves as perfect, is pure hubris on our part. We're expected to screw up sometimes. The important thing is to recognize our mistakes and try to learn from them. That's all he asks.

As for a Christian man not wanting you, a man unable to forgive another's mistake is no Christian. Not in my book anyway, and I think not in God's either.

I don't think getting Herpes is a mistake ... it happens. Its not a consequence to anything, it just is. Survival of the Fittest ... God put Herpes and other viruses on this planet to battle it out with each other for survival. Just because humans aren't the top of the food chain like many would like to believe doesn't mean its a consequence or a mistake. It's just life.

God doesn't "give us" herpes, or anything else bad for that matter. He gives us choices and the consequences that go with them. When we make the wrong decisions, we can't blame him for the consequences that we brought on ourselves. We are all responsible for our own actions.

If you read the Bible, you'll realize that it wasn't the pure, the innocent, or the "holier-than-thou-always-do-what's-right" people that Jesus chose to hang out with. Why should he? They didn't need him. He spent his best time in the trenches, with the whores, the thieves, and the lost souls who society had turned their backs on. THOSE were the people he tried to reach, the ones he welcomed into his arms and forgave, and gave hope to. He sought out the sinners because he had a purpose... to offer them a better way, and to give them a new chance at life.

You think you let him down? No, you didn't. You only showed him that you're human, and as such, more in need of him than maybe even you thought you were. He knows that we were not made perfect, so to try to be perfect, or to think of ourselves as perfect, is pure hubris on our part. We're expected to screw up sometimes. The important thing is to recognize our mistakes and try to learn from them. That's all he asks.

As for a Christian man not wanting you, a man unable to forgive another's mistake is no Christian. Not in my book anyway, and I think not in God's either.

I don't really blame God..... I know He is broken hearted that I have this. It's just....I think....I think I thought I was too precious for this. Or that I was meant to be precious. I don't know.

Thanks for your post, I especially appreciate that you said I didn't let Him down. being told that has really helped.

Thanks everyone

chin up

I am angry with God, but then I remember that I wasn't meant to be sleeping with people before marriage anyway.

Gutted.

I got oral herpes as a little girl. Totally innocent. I gave my husband genital herpes through oral sex, and we were married! Then he gave it to me. So, really, its not a punishment, cause I didnt do anything wrong. Just one more thing to trust God on.

I agree

with Ms.Lucy.

Jesus, didnt do this to us, but he does expect us to learn from our mistakes, and seek him out...in the good and bad times.

At one point I also asked why did God allow this to happen to me, but i now realize, that this was my eye opener...to show me that i have family and friends that love me and will be there to support me in many ways. And i believe becuz of this, i will find someone who truly loves me for me, and i will find true happiness.

For those of you that do not believe, you are entitled to your beliefs. But instead of posting negativity, just look away, and do not read the threads in this section.

jesus is dead, he doesnt have an influence on what happens to you nor does he care. he was a man, he died, someone stole his body.

god doesnt think about you or anyone else on this planet because he is imaginary, made up, fictitious, not real.

kmn74... what would it have cost you not to post those remarks? What would you have lost, except the opportunity to try to make some else feel bad? Maybe you don't believe in God. That's your privilege. I don't either, but I did once, and those who do believe deserve the same respect for their belief as you do for your non-belief.

There's room for everyone in this world, if we just allow each other the same space in it that we demand for ourselves. Think about it.

I believe that God has forgiven me for contracting herpes (young, naive and unmarried) but what I can't cope with is knowing I have to live the rest of my life single, as I simply cannot and will not draw the courage to tell a man what I have. I know that is pretty gutless of me, but I just feel like I've got so much other 'baggage' as well that it is easier to be single, even though somewhat lonely. I mean really, 2 kids, herpes, hepatitis C, panic attacks and depression - you'd run a mile if you met me! I get so sad at how I've managed to wreck my own life. I've prayed and prayed for a miracle over the years, but I think I just have to learn acceptance and get on with what is left of my time on earth. I say all this but truthfully am totally lost.

jesus is dead, he doesnt have an influence on what happens to you nor does he care. he was a man, he died, someone stole his body.

god doesnt think about you or anyone else on this planet because he is imaginary, made up, fictitious, not real.

Hey, cool to have your own opinions, but in future keep them off my thread please. This forum is supposed to be for encouragement and your useless comments don't help anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

What would Jesus/God think...

Good question as nobody except HIM knows... but a good bunch of us would like to ;) !

One thing for sure, the judgement will be at the end... which still have to be determined.

Second, as I understand it, the judgement will be based on two things he clearly stated:

1- love God and honor him respectfully;

2- love and take care of the others everyday to your best; which by the way single parents are the nowadays true expression living miracles - without respectively taking anything from regular couples raising kids.

Fully aware and knowing that we are imperfect creatures, he let us know that he'll be tough on the sin but very understanding of the sinner and so far I haven't heard/read that having herpes was/is a sin !

We bear this cross as others bear theirs. It is for us to carry it and make the best of it - being good caring persons.

I wouldn't be too worried that he is on/by your side...

Hope this help.

savedbutscared

I have been wondering the same thing about having herpes and being saved. I have been trying to figure out if I am damned to hell now and should just give up or if I made a mistake and need to be in the church even more now. I trust God and love Him. I know this is the consequence to my behavior and not a punishment. I know I disappointed Him, but I don't want to turn my back on my faith.

Wooo..

Jesus saved lepers, blinds, "possessed - probably epileptics" whom at the time thought they were in that condition because of their behavior or their parents/relative behaviors...

I don't recall him saying "I am curing you because you're a bad person", on the contrary.

I think that if we behave correctly (ie, take care and respect others as we'd like to be taken care of or considered) that should do it ! I don't think becoming a saint is based on the physical condition but based on your actions towards others.

This herpes thing and damnation, I don't get ! A bunch would have gone or go to hell in that condition because if you consider herpes a damnation perogative, then all STDs, alcoholism, and so on would definitely lead right away down below !

Paradise would be a very, very private party... which I think isn't the intention !

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I think by being infected with herpes, its God's way of punishing us and showing love. Just like when a parent reprimands a child. The child is punished by being reprimanded. At the same time it is a reminder for the child to become better.

God works in mysterious ways. Look at this as an opportunity to do more good deeds and become closer to Him for there are no guarantees you will live till tomorrow, next week, next month or even next year.

So that when judgment day comes, our good deeds far outweigh our bad ones and hopefully a place in heaven will be booked for us ;)

just my 2 cents...

Keep the Faith

We need to Keep the Faith. We will be cure of this dreadful disease. The reserchers are working hard to make HSV1 HSV2 and the other ones history. We all need to work together by writing letters, and donating whatever we can. They need a total of 300, 000. It just a estimate. I know I dont want to keep taking suppressive medication the rest of my life.

Hmm, I feel compelled to give my opinion here, but as an athiest I don't think you guys will like it.

As a person of reason, I don't think that this is a lesson/punishment from god. This is a medical condition that you got through some sort of sexual contact. If you are a Christian, this means that you have sinned by having sex before marriage and are therefore condemned to hell if you do not repent. Put all the trust in god you see fit, but what you need to remember is that this is YOUR life. It is your actions and decisions that had brought you to this point. God will not help you, but for what it's worth maybe your faith in god will.

Although I agree with kmn74, because, well, I'm a logical human being that has educated myself on the religious institution and its control on an ignorant and gullible society and I also know that Jesus is dead, has been dead for 2000 years and he won't be resurrected because there's no such thing as anyone ever coming back from the dead.... but I digress....I'm not gonna be that asshole that tells you you're an idiot for believing in god. You can believe in pirates riding unicorns through a valley of rainbows for all I care, as long as your belief helps you cope with herpes in a healthy way. The thing about religion is that it has a pretty awesome way of getting people through the hard things in life that they don't understand. I've been able to survive just fine without religion, but if you need to turn to god in your time of need, I sincerely hope that it's at least able to give you the strength to educate yourself on go on with your life happily.

-K

the intention is to share our thoughts amongst those who believe in god. The thread name says it all. I apologize if the comments made seemed kinda preachy, especially if you don't share the faith.

Oh of course, I understand that this is a Christian conversation, it's implied that you have a belief in Jesus in order to adress the question. But surely someone who is non-Christian can voice their opinion as well.

Like I said, belief in god can be a very powerful tool in helping cope with herpes. And that's a very good thing. I just choose to believe in myself instead.

I have seen this thread on here for a while and feel I must respond. I am not a religious man but I am a spiritual man. What I mean by this is that I find no sanctuary in a church. My sanctuary is the great outdoors.

What would Jesus think? How would anyone really know?

My thought is that Jesus cared greatly for others and would hurt for those who are suffering. He would also hope that anyone suffering would be able to reach a level of acceptance and try to continue on and live life as best they can. He would hope that anyone afflicted would find an inner peace and that a simple man made virus would not alter who they are.

Of course, I am not a religious guy.

• 2 months later...

1. God is probably not punishing you with herpes. If you had married your boyfriend before sleeping with him, you still likely would have contracted herpes. The status of your relationship (married/not married) has no bearing on the fact your boyfriend was HSV+. Also consider the women who are raped and contract it from their rapist, are they too being punished?

2. If Jesus existed, he probably had herpes. Lets face it the guy hung out with whores and lepers, herpes would have been the least of his worries. Seriously though, as we all know the majority of people on earth have it, infection would have likely been ubiquitous at that time. When you consider until recently syphilis was a death sentence if you got herpes it was prob getting off easy, really.

I believe that the jewish people invented the bible and all the crazy stories in order to undermine and destroy rome. they did this because rome destroyed jerusulem all those years ago. As a consequence, rome fell, and christianity thrived. Blessed are the meak, and turn the other cheek? this is suicide. It is specifially stated in the talmoud which is a jewish faith book that all non-jews are cattle. They look at you as their slaves. Why would someone turn the other cheak if they were slapped?

3. Bologna, it is better to stay silent, and be thought a fool, then open your mouth, and remove all doubt.

• 2 months later...

im not a christian anymore i once was maybe one day i will give myself back to god but yes im young but ive always been taught when i was christian that god loves everyone no matter what and if you ask for forgiveness then god will forgive yopu ive always been taught that god forgives everyone who asks for forgiveness ok mistakes happen everyone makes a mistake thats why jesus died for us jesus died for our sins he died so we could always be forgive when we ask for forgiveness im sorry if im a bit incorrect in what i say i ahvent read the bible for an agers but that is my belief im not a christian nor am i anti christ i am open minded to anyones belief and if you believe in god then you should believe in the concept that jesus was put on the cross for our sins he was sacrificed and believe that god forgives everyone who asks for forgiveness god loves everyone even thoughs who do not love him we are his children and always will be ok so forgive yourself like god has forgiven you love yourself like god loves you.. you are his child and forever will be

I just want to add to this conversation...God is not the one that causes disease, death or natural disasters or acts of God...Satan is the cause of all this! We are living in Satan's playground! Repent of your sins and healing will come. We only we have this until the end comes and Jesus returns not for an Eternity. Hell is not a place that sinners live in forever. Hell is referred to as the fire that will destroy Satan and his followers and they will be no more. God loves us all and wants us to repent no matter what our physical condition maybe because he is the ultimate healer.